Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Wolf359f wrote: »
    That graph you posted, you made comment and no explanation, the previous positivity one, a comment and no explanation.
    Has increased retail caused more cases?
    It seems on here retail, non retail, is not causing casing massive cases.
    Workplaces, there's been many an outbreak, that graph shows less movement in workplaces. So tell me, why are we ****ed?
    It seems you and Leo are the only 2 people who are surprised by increases in cases.

I've been predicting these increases for weeks.
    You're ****ing surprised. Not me. I've read your drivel. You've been consistently wrong every ****ing day since you joined the conversation.

And now you want me to explain an easily read chart to you?

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I've been predicting these increases for weeks.
    You're ****ing surprised. Not me. I've read your drivel. You've been consistently wrong every ****ing day since you joined the conversation.

And now you want me to explain an easily read chart to you?

No thanks

I'm sorry to disappoint you, the entire country knew cases would increase when restrictions lifted and coinciding with the Christmas period.
    You seem to be taking it a little personal. 'My Drivel' I try to act constructively with people and engage with them, I would never say I was predicting things.
    'Consistently wrong every day' Sounds like its a competition with you to be correct all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

See that cluster of countries? This is the trajectory I fear we're on.
    It's been repeated over and over again. There are exceptions, but the below occurs really frequently.

537356.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

See that cluster of countries? This is the trajectory I fear we're on.
    It's been repeated over and over again. There are exceptions, but the below occurs really frequently.

537356.png

It's a valid worry.
    Now of those clusters of countries you're worried we will follow, at what positivity rate or date did they enact restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Long covid symptoms.

537357.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

I'm having a good time anyways :)

Nice time in my city, a few takeaway pints, chatting to the people who served me... Felt bad for them

Back home now, checking in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

MOR316 wrote: »
    I'm having a good time anyways :)

Nice time in my city, a few takeaway pints, chatting to the people who served me... Felt bad for them

Back home now, checking in :D

I’m just chillin at home, sinking a few cold ones ...watching the storms. ⚡️

537358.jpeg

Body aching after a day in the bay yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mandrake04 wrote:
    I’m just chillin at home, sinking a few cold ones ...watching the storms. âš¡ï¸

Where are you?

Moragle wrote: »
    I'm genuinely not being a dick but how did your extremely high risk person get exposed to covid and why did you have such a hard time getting them a test. I'm a gp its very straightforward for a referral even now when we're on out of hours

Way easier to get her a COVID test in a timely and efficient manner than any other kind of medical consult thats for sure.

AutoTuning wrote: »

I'm hoping I'm not going to feel badly let down and disappointed by this, but I'll tell you one thing - the state of healthcare here will be a massive deciding factor in my voting patterns. I'm fed up with perma-crisis and it's not good enough to feel you can't trust or really rely on a public health system in a wealthy, well resourced, Western European country.

I'm curious who you would vote for. What is needed is root and branch reforms, but what every party proposes to do is throw more money at the problem citing the underfunded myth. Mary Harney came closest to actually making positive change but look how she is almost universally hated.

It's ridiculous that NPHET can tell us of the grave situation we are in but yet we can wait 3 days twiddling our thumbs rolling out the vaccine while the vast majority of other EU countries start literally within hours of getting their shipments.

The NHS have recruitment ads for vaccinators which only have to have a first aid cert or some experience in the medical field. We need to do something similar and get going 24/7 but don't hold your breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,984 ✭✭✭dodzy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Where are you?

Somewhere warm no doubt.
    Nice pad. Own pool (would love to be there myself)
    Lazy Yak beer

My guess....... he’s Down Under ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I’m just chillin at home, sinking a few cold ones ...watching the storms. ⚡️

537358.jpeg

Body aching after a day in the bay yesterday.

Ah feck you, I'm just getting ready for work and all I have is wind howling outside...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

dodzy wrote: »
    Somewhere warm no doubt.
    Nice pad. Own pool (would love to be there myself)
    Lazy Yak beer

My guess....... he’s Down Under ;)

Yep I’m Sydney warm and wet lol, don’t go back to work til the 18th Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Moragle wrote: »
    I'm genuinely not being a dick but how did your extremely high risk person get exposed to covid and why did you have such a hard time getting them a test. I'm a gp its very straightforward for a referral even now when we're on out of hours

pm'd you a little more details..dont want posted here thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anyone care to guess why ICU admission rates are less than fatality rates for the >75s?

Eq-UAu-UDXAAEfk17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Anyone care to guess why ICU admission rates are less than fatality rates for the >75s?

Eq-UAu-UDXAAEfk17.jpg

Because many over 75 would have a DNR signed , in many cases of over 75/80 it would not be in their best interest to be ventilated or indeed moved from their surroundings .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Eq-UAu-UDXAAEfk17.jpg

Died but didn't got to ICU. There are cases where sending to ICU is futile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

speckle wrote: »
    Well I had an interesting Christmas... helping organise a test for an extremely high risk 80+ year old who lives alone. A complex issue but I would like to thank the people who helped organise it on the HSE helpline, public health nurses, hospital staff, the mobile testing unit, the lab techs and staff who will ring with the results.

I am wrecked.Merry Christmas everybody.. but a little reminder of what musicians are normally up to at Christmas...

Thankfully this year the likes of the VDP and the penny dinnears kept rockin' and rollin' for those less fornuate amongst us.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40196718.html

Fair play to you. You are one of the good one's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Statement also says "It brings the total number of Covid-19-related deaths in the country to 2,204."

Have they always been described as Covid-19-related?

No.. but it changed some time ago - died from covid, became died with covid. It is a verified fact if you die with covid in your system, regardless of what the main cause factor might be. Who knows how long someone who has another contributory factor might have lived, if they didn't have covid? There are always going to be grey areas with a degree of assessment required, so 'died with' was introduced to define the line.

The conspiracy theorists will tell you that it was done to inflate the numbers and keep us all terrified, I believe it is a way of trying to record the spread throughout the country and on all sectors of society. Actual covid contractions have to be counted and recorded. Once you understand that, you can accept that at least some of the deaths recorded will not be specifically due to covid, but the person still had it and that fact has to be recognised.

The UK changed to died within 28 days of a positive test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

ElJeffe wrote: »

Nah... the great unsung heros are the people who safely gave up last week as they do every year to safely prepare and deliever food and meals to the vunerable and the staff who volunteered to forgoe their family time and Christmas dinnears to get people tested and results back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I would have agreed with you until he posted a Bono video. Now he's clearly a bast*rd of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Varadkar flying a kite now that the current lockdown is going to last long term. It’s clear now that we are talking months rather than weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

jackboy wrote: »
    Varadkar flying a kite now that the current lockdown is going to last long term. It’s clear now that we are talking months rather than weeks.

Is he on the radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

When did you expect it to end?

They were fairly clear that it wasn't ending on the 12th of January and even last week said it would remain in place to a varying degree until the critical mass (healthcare staff & long term care settings) had been vaccinated.

They've been fairly clear that its expected to last January and February at least and then with the vaccine rollout giving them a little more wiggle room in terms of what they can do.

From last weeks press conference, so hes not saying anything that's not already been said.
    "It will probably be towards the end of February or early March before a critical mass of the population is vaccinated and I think we need to operate on the basis that these restrictions will be in place until then"

Reaffirming a point made last week isn't kite flying

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The price we will have to pay for a Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

75 is incredibly young to have a DNR.

The average age here is 83, I thought.

I would wager it's due to occupancy issues in the ICUs and the nursing home staff being overstretched, so negligence meaning they're leaving it to the last minute and don't have them transferred in time.

If you're in a home the expectation is kind of that you're going to die. That's the sense I get in all my dealings with them anyway, especially private ones. They might as well have a revolving door to the morgue.
    It's worse than that. Long before Covid arrived there was an apathetic if not callous attitude to elderly patients in our public hospitals. Our health service is dysfunctional and staff can't/don't have time to deal with difficult and time consuming cases i.e. elderly patients with multiple comorbidities. They are regarded as bed blockers and they are be to be discharged to the community as soon as possible and who cares if there are inadequate supports available - not the hospital's problem.

An example would be a relatively healthy elderly person suffering some health issue (e.g. UTI) which causes them to become confused/delirious with "off legs". And then relatives having to explain to multiple healthcare staff that, no he's not normally like this, and no, we don't expect him to be deprioritised and written off because of his age.

This year add in the frenzy of we must keep this hospital free for the Covid surge. Also, get those Covid positive patients out of this hospital and into nursing homes asap - wait a sec - will they be isolated there - ah who cares, someone else's problem.

My mother fell and fractured a bone at the height of the first Covid wave. Into hospital and discharged within two hours, A&E was empty. Sent away with "you're grand, keep moving, here's a prescription for painkillers". No letter for GP, no followup, no walking frame, no referral for physiotherapy. Many months late my mother who previously was walking well and independently is housebound with a significant disability and still no physiotherapy. No home help. GP also pretty useless. Nobody apart from me gives a crap about her quality of life

if we had a functional health service then I would accept suggestions that patients are not being admitted to hospitals and ICUs because of DNRs and because it wouldn't be in their best interest., I don't believe that the best interests of elderly patients are a particular priority in our health service. Also i don't accept that healthcare workers are heroes, I've been in and out of public hospitals and nursing homes for the last 20 years with various relatives and have come across enough terrible attitudes and incompetence to be very cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Bar hospitality, once numbers start stabilising and hospitals aren't overwhelmed, I don't see why we shouldn't see some easing after 4 or 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I hope Worldometers/similar will start adding Vaccinateds to their lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

At speed people are going to be vaccinated no wonder it will be at least a few months https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-covid-19-restrictions-vaccine-rollout-5311824-Dec2020/?section=comment#comments

• Advertisement

He didn’t say anything new, and nothing that most people don’t fully expect.

IMO, after Easter holidays for any substantial reduction in restrictions, and then to more or less normality in the summer (albeit probably still with mask wearing on public transport and certain limitations on pubs and venues for most of the year)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement