Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Eivor wrote: »
    Not necessarily seriously I’ll with covid

Right. And not necessarily even seriously ill.

I concede the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Right. And that's why I conceded the point.

It doesn't make a blind bit of difference to what I'm trying to say - that our hospitals are in real jeopardy again - but please everyone continue to beat me about the head for something I already admitted to.

Nobody is saying those things, it just changes everything though. If it takes 1000 'hospitalised with COVID' patients to overwhelm the system when in reality it is actually 600 conevntional COVID patients along with others who would have been there anyway it just changes how we approach and consider the COVID impact on healthcare, and highlights how easily swamped our healthcare is with COVID or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Nobody is saying those things, it just changes everything though. If it takes 1000 'hospitalised with COVID' patients to overwhelm the system when in reality it is actually 600 conevntional COVID patients along with others who would have been there anyway it just changes how we approach and consider the COVID impact on healthcare, and highlights how easily swamped our healthcare is with COVID or not.

There are over 1400 empty beds in the system at the moment

After Christmas that will go down when normal service resumes though

bb1234567 wrote: »

I agree with this.

On the 27th of March we had 380 covid cases in hospital with varying degrees of illness.
    By the 4th of April we had 829 cases in hospital.

We appear to be on a similar trajectory to March, with large and growing numbers of admissions.
    We had closed almost all businesses on the 24th of March, and were under stay at home orders by the 27th.

This time around restrictions are MUCH looser and are coming significantly later. So I'm looking at all this and I'm wondering is there anything to suggest that we're not in a worse state than ever before?

And that's not even factoring in inter generational mingling over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

The current proposed mass vaccination centres with more to follow

Tallaght University Hospital, Dublin... list follows.....

Stephen where did you find this list I coudnt find it in the pdf link. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I agree with this.

On the 27th of March we had 380 covid cases in hospital with varying degrees of illness.
    By the 4th of April we had 829 cases in hospital.

We appear to be on a similar trajectory to March, with large and growing numbers of admissions.
    We had closed almost all businesses on the 24th of March, and were under stay at home orders by the 27th.

This time around restrictions are MUCH looser and are coming significantly later. So I'm looking at all this and I'm wondering is there anything to suggest that we're not in a worse state than ever before?

And that's not even factoring in inter generational mingling over Christmas.

We have no real idea what the true spread of the virus was in March.

awec wrote: »
    We have no real idea what the true spread of the virus was in March.

Yeah but the hospitalisation rate was crystal clear, which is what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Going by the recent 14 day Epi reports, From 10 Dec to 23 Dec, 60% testing positive had symptoms.
    The next report from 13 to 26 Dec, that drops to 49%, a pretty substantial drop over 3 days.
    It could signal as some here have deduced, that the massive increase in testing was down to people being cautious and requesting tests before Christmas.
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

speckle wrote: »

The current proposed mass vaccination centres with more to follow

Tallaght University Hospital, Dublin... list follows.....

Stephen where did you find this list I coudnt find it in the pdf link. thanks

Sorry my bad, theres a second doc, I linked only one of them.

Both are here

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/bf337-covid-19-vaccination-strategy-and-implementation-plan/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Going by the recent 14 day Epi reports, From 10 Dec to 23 Dec, 60% testing positive had symptoms.
    The next report from 13 to 26 Dec, that drops to 49%, a pretty substantial drop over 3 days.
    It could signal as some here have deduced, that the massive increase in testing was down to people being cautious and requesting tests before Christmas.
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/

It also implies a lot of people may have told fibs to get.a.test!

• Advertisement

In March, we were hospitalising all of the first patients who tested positive so we could monitor them closely.

It’s not surprising that we had higher numbers in hospital back then.

It would be wonderful if NPHET could tell us how many are in hospital who require treatment for Covid. But I imagine it might not look great for them.

Well spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Yeah but the hospitalisation rate was crystal clear, which is what I'm talking about.

Indeed and treatment has also improved. We will see a sharp rise in hospitalisations and mortalities in the next 4/5 weeks before it stabilises. Hopefully it will be only be on the scale of the normal winter flu which overruns hospitals year on year.

Stheno wrote: »
    It also implies a lot of people may have told fibs to get.a.test!

True. Also going by here, the private testing was swamped with appointments.
    Now, that could account for the massive increase in the Unknown status of symptoms at testing. Private testing may not record that detail. It also means the positivity rate could be artificially high as basically only positive private test results are reported and not the number of private tests conducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

True. Also going by here, the private testing was swamped with appointments.
    Now, that could account for the massive increase in the Unknown status of symptoms at testing. Private testing may not record that detail. It also means the positivity rate could be artificially high as basically only positive private test results are reported and not the number of private tests conducted.

And maybe this sensible behaviour (which was institutionalised in other countries) will mean that further cases and mortalities have been avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

The drop in people requesting tests without symptoms in the report from the 13th-26th of Dec may just be the close contacts of those who tested positive and might not have developed symptoms yet themselves.
    No GP’s are sending someone for tests if they had no symptoms unless they are/ were close contacts unless of course they went for a private test which are included in that report (I think)

And maybe this sensible behaviour (which was institutionalised in other countries) will mean that further cases and mortalities have been avoided.

As much as people criticize the Government's handling (justified on many issues) and some reckless behavior by people etc... we are still far below our hospital peak from the first wave, plenty of EU countries have vastly surpassed their March/April peak in cases, hospitalizations and unfortunately deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

My wedding is pencilled in for June bank holiday. Hope that once the most vulnerable people are vaccinated we can get back to normal but I'd say there will still be restrictions! I fear June may be too soon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well spotted

Anything positive at all out there.

• Advertisement

As much as people criticize the Government's handling (justified on many issues) and some reckless behavior by people etc... we are still far below our hospital peak from the first wave, plenty of EU countries have vastly surpassed their March/April peak in cases, hospitalizations and unfortunately deaths.

There was a stat in the Irish Times recently that said ICU Covid patients here are 50% less likely to die than in the UK, no idea why

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

Just on the below, delighted to inform you all the result was negative. :)
    Had to bring my young man, he's 6, for a swab test yesterday. We don't think he has it, just a precaution. I was shocked at the number of people getting tested. It was well done, didn't have to leave the car. It only took about ten minutes from arrival to exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

Thats great news :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

My wedding is pencilled in for June bank holiday. Hope that once the most vulnerable people are vaccinated we can get back to normal but I'd say there will still be restrictions! I fear June may be too soon

It's hard to know with the restrictions on numbers for weddings. If you had asked me a couple of months ago I would have said the allowed numbers will surely have increased to 100 by June. Now I'm not so sure, even with the vaccine being rolled out. I wouldn't be surprised if we are still at 50 or even 25 come June.

Realistically weddings are one of the greatest risk factors, even more so than funerals. Large gatherings, intimate affairs with drink and music, the gathering of two separate extended families and people from across the country.

It's really, really tough on those planning weddings currently. There's such a massive difference between having 50 and 100 at a wedding but it's not something that will be known until much closer to the wedding itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Does anyone know if there's a live briefing tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's hard to know with the restrictions on numbers for weddings. If you had asked me a couple of months ago I would have said the allowed numbers will surely have increased to 100 by June. Now I'm not so sure, even with the vaccine being rolled out. I wouldn't be surprised if we are still at 50 or even 25 come June.

Realistically weddings are one of the greatest risk factors, even more so than funerals. Large gatherings, intimate affairs with drink and music, the gathering of two separate extended families and people from across the country.

It's really, really tough on those planning weddings currently. There's such a massive difference between having 50 and 100 at a wedding but it's not something that will be known until much closer to the wedding itself.

If we are still at 25 in June for weddings it means the vaccine rollout has been a complete disaster by the HSE, so yes I agree with you, if will probably be 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Great to hear, brought my 5 year old and even though I was 99.9% certain it was nothing, it’s a great relief all the same

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Stheno wrote: »
    There was a stat in the Irish Times recently that said ICU Covid patients here are 50% less likely to die than in the UK, no idea why

Either they are sending more of the most elderly to icu or we have a lower threshold to move someone to icu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Why would you go back to normal while the vast majority of people haven't been immunised and we're nowhere near herd immunity?
    The numbers of infected would sky rocket out of control.

Just wait another couple of months and offer the vaccine to everyone that wants it, at the same time adjusting restrictions based on case numbers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement