Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Some people aren't giving a f*ck anymore.

https://twitter.com/DrNuala/status/1343507786131509248?s=19

Yes that's worrying

A good portion of those will be staying until new years at the earliest and out and about in the community

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I am not sure how accurate the confirmed case data is at the moment as I am sure we over 1000 cases confirmed on one day recently?

Just checked the api side of the hse data and the excel file only goes back to august today. was up to date yesterday.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/datasets/f6d6332820ca466999dbd852f6ad4d5a_0?geometry=50.977%2C-76.680%2C-50.977%2C76.680&orderBy=Date_HPSC&orderByAsc=false

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Stheno wrote: »
    Part of it is lack of detailed contact tracing, are they still only going back 48 hours?

And do they even ask about recent travels?

Yep. Some politicians and public facing people have said they would start going back further. It'd be lovely if they did. I'm skeptical though. Around 500 daily cases in Oct was when the tracing system became under severe strain and people were contacted too late. Few weeks later the system utterly failed and people were text messaged. There is no way in hell they can increase the days and chains of potential contacts without a significant boost in resources from what they had in September. Maybe they have done this. The vagueness of their wording implies otherwise.

In reality going back 14 days or more would not necessarily identify the source of the transmission. Transmission in a pub or restaurant is very hard to detect. Often times it's luck or extensive research that identifies these. Research by which the time its completed there's been several chains of transmission since.

Vitners and restaurants association may wish for this to satisfy their curiosity. Sad fact is there a plethora of thoroughly investigated outbreaks internationally and all of these identify indoor areas such as a restaurant as super spreading locations. That the virus behaves differently here is the assumption we have to make if we are to say pubs etc. are safe and don't contribute to spread in the community.

Resources are better spent elsewhere imo.

Gardaí probe reports of topless men hugging at packed Christmas parties

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40197663.html

Not a good look unfortunately

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Turtwig wrote: »
    Yep. Some politicians and public facing people have said they would start going back further. It'd be lovely if they did. I'm skeptical though. Around 500 daily cases in Oct was when the tracing system became under severe strain and people were contacted too late. Few weeks later the system utterly failed and people were text messaged. There is no way in hell they can increase the days and chains of potential contacts without a significant boost in resources from what they had in September. Maybe they have done this. The vagueness of their wording implies otherwise.

In reality going back 14 days or more would not necessarily identify the source of the transmission. Transmission in a pub or restaurant is very hard to detect. Often times it's luck or extensive research that identifies these. Research by which the time its completed there's been several chains of transmission since.

Vitners and restaurants association may wish for this to satisfy their curiosity. Sad fact is there a plethora of thoroughly investigated outbreaks internationally and all of these identify indoor areas such as a restaurant as super spreading locations. That the virus behaves differently here is the assumption we have to make if we are to say pubs etc. are safe and don't contribute to spread in the community.

In my local area, out of 11 pubs that were open, three had to close at varying t I mes due to staff testing positive, so 30%

Now I'm not aware of any clusters or other cases but to me it does demonstrate the risk

That said, its peoples behaviour in pubs which is probably as much a risk, groups meeting up, loud talking and laughing etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Watch the numbers explode

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Actually called out by PP.

(Not for a fight though)

Watch the numbers explode

That was always a very real possibility in that town at Christmas unfortunately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Some people aren't giving a f*ck anymore.

https://twitter.com/DrNuala/status/1343507786131509248?s=19

You'd want to be a real lowlife to not give a darn about the greater good.

Actually called out by PP.

(Not for a fight though)

It's a good statement from PP in fairness

Unfortunately his previous pleas fell on deaf ears

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/travellers-asked-not-to-return-home-for-christmas-39824760.html

• Advertisement

That was always a very real possibility in that town at Christmas unfortunately

True
    At least Paven Point have come out against it

You'd feel for people who may be impacted as a result of that behaviour though through no fault of their own

Some of the behaviour described is appalling

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Why? Theres been very little cases from non essential retail? Leo and coveney have said this. Much bigger impact in closing them indefinitely.

As a few others have pointed out, it's very hard due to the vagaries of the contact tracing system to directly link many cases, the majority even, back to their source.

The thinking behind closing non essential retail isn't only that.

Basically you want to cut down every opportunity every individual has to interact in a non essential setting - which minimises the reasons people have for leaving the house, meeting others etc. Cutting down the opportunies people have to meet others suppresses the chances for the virus to spread. Especially, when transmission is rampant and steadily worsening - which it now is.

I'll be stunned if essential retail stays open much longer and there will be more sectors shut after it. There's no real guarantees of anything staying open aside from food stores depending on how the situation develops, the government can say what they like for now - but if we're posting crackers figures and hospitalisations are climbing and climbing then they'll eventually backtrack. I hope we won't find ourselves back in a March style lockdown - but I wouldn't bet big money against it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Non essential retail will be closed I have no doubt. I’d guess before NYE too. Government is to review this on Tuesday with no plans to shut it in the “ immediate future” but as we’ve seen 3 days is a long time in this thing. If also guess school returns being delayed if we start getting crazily high positive numbers, schools may have been ok before, but with this new highly transmittable strain, that changes things a lot. Buckle up for 2021 cause things are gonna get worse before they get better. and I’m so fecking sick of COVID-19 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

765 new cases and 1 death.

4 extra in ICU...up to 30 in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I looked at breaking news for numbers

1600+ and I thought that's high

Then I saw the words "the north"

Dear o dear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

765 new cases and 1 death.

Would the cynic in me be wary that these numbers are lower because of less people getting tested due to Christmas holidays?

All Eyes On Rafah

That's a large large backlog building with 1159 positive swabs today

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Expecting a record number tomorrow I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

screamer wrote: »
    Non essential retail will be closed I have no doubt. I’d guess before NYE too. Government is to review this on Tuesday with no plans to shut it in the “ immediate future” but as we’ve seen 3 days is a long time in this thing. If also guess school returns being delayed if we start getting crazily high positive numbers, schools may have been ok before, but with this new highly transmittable strain, that changes things a lot. Buckle up for 2021 cause things are gonna get worse before they get better. and I’m so fecking sick of COVID-19 now.

Same as me. fed up of it all now. Normality is way way off yet but bring it on.

Cabinet met today instead i think. Leo mentioned this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As of 2pm today 359 COVID19 patients are hospitalised, of which 30 are in ICU. 41 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

With the backlog building, they'll be a shock and awe 2000 day in next few days

i wouldn't be surprised

That's a large large backlog building with 1159 positive swabs today

But yesterday there was an extra.400 cases compared to swabs

I can't get my head around it tbh

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    As of 2pm today 359 COVID19 patients are hospitalised, of which 30 are in ICU. 41 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours.

How many discharges? There were 350 in hospital yesterday I thought?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

A lot of idiots who carried on about their business as normal at Xmas may be shocked in the coming weeks. Of course it will be the gubberments fault etc... nothing to do with personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

There was ~1600 more positive swabs than cases between the 23rd - 26th. Yesterday had the extra 400 cases vs swabs but that's still ~1200 swabs...till now double swabs per one person has not really been that big a factor, they usually balance out over time.

Another 400 odd today. Confusing.

I'm never too sure of swabs vs cases but swabs definitely seem to be more than cases announced over then last few days

Will have another look later on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Aren't swabs midnight to midnight and cases midday to midday?

I always forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I looked at breaking news for numbers

1600+ and I thought that's high

Then I saw the words "the north"

Dear o dear

1600 cases in NI today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    1600 cases in NI today?

48 hours I think.