Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭techdiver

Stheno wrote: »
    Part of it is lack of detailed contact tracing, are they still only going back 48 hours?

And do they even ask about recent travels?

Contract tracing is and always was a joke here.

Someone I know was alerted via the app that they were a close contact 8 days after the contact tested positive. Then was told not to arrange their own test but to wait for a call from the contact tracing team. That call never came.

There is so much wrong with the above and I'm sure it's not an isolated incident.

We were told from the start of this the main weapon in fighting it was a robust testing and tracing system that allowed us to test, track and isolate infected individuals within 24 - 48 hours. We have achieved none of this. Instead our answer is lockdown, lockdown, lockdown.

If you are asking people for buy in with restrictions the least you can do is get your house in order as regards testing and tracing along with increased hospital capacity. This was promised during lockdown mk1, but apart from increased testing capacity none of this has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

froog wrote: »
    and why wouldn't they doctor figures today and yesterday? given we are just starting another lockdown and with the vaccine it would seem to be the best possible time since march to scare people into compliance.

or maybe, they aren't doctoring figures at all, cause that is absolutely ridiculous conspiracy theory ****e.[/quote/

Everyone is sick and tired of lockdown but the thought of a few weeks of limited freedom would make further restrictions more palpable ,

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

Huge backlog to be included over the next few days, bring cases up to 2000 for a few days, justifying closing non essential retail and gyms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Huge backlog to be included over the next few days, bring cases up to 2000 for a few days, justifying closing non essential retail and gyms.

Schools ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Wont work without the schools staying closed for a few extra weeks,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Are private tests included in the daily swab numbers?

I don't think so, hopefully someone can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

We're unlikely to drop below 2000 for a while once we get testing properly again.

The huge backlog will look pretty insignificant within a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

And I presume you have a source for this information? NPHET, Government, HPSC?

Or is it just your imagination coming up with this nonsense.

The latter I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

Nphet want non essential retail closed? As for the positivity rate and positive swabs ratio, resulting in a backlog of reporting cases, its really not that hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Turtwig wrote: »
    The rest of your post didn't adhere to your opening statement.

I would argue many of the posts on here are lacking in independent thinking & hanging on media hype & tweets to get their updates. Some posters actually looking for a NPHET conference today.
    I had a good chat with a nurse from a major Dublin hospital over the break, they’re never tested at work despite dealing with Covid patients. For fear too many would be off work as positives or close contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

shocksy wrote: »
    And I presume you have a source for this information? NPHET, Government, HPSC?

Or is it just your imagination coming up with this nonsense.

The latter I'm sure.

The prospect of a 2000 case day followed by tightening of restrictions is absolutely a realistic possibility now. If anyone wants to get something from a non essential retail shop I would advise them to sort that out in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

28-12-2020-p1.jpg
    28-12-2020-p2.jpg
    28-12-2020-p3.jpg
    28-12-2020-p4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Are people actually genuinely freaking out here, I mean just stay at home and you will be grand. We are going be locked down, it's not going track you down in your house and eat you alive. A bit of perspective is needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nphet want non essential retail closed? As for the positivity rate and positive swabs ratio, resulting in a backlog of reporting cases, its really not that hard to find.

If only they had 40 thousand doses of vaccine sitting on its hole in a fridge for the last 2 days while waffling to us about every day counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

niallo27 wrote: »
    Are people actually genuinely freaking out here, I mean just stay at home and you will be grand. We are going be locked down, it's not going track you down in your house and eat you alive. A bit of perspective is needed here.

I think people are just annoyed that we have left it get so out of hand that we need to go into another protracted lockdown now. I doubt anyone here is actually scared as you have described.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

You obviously don't have to go to work like a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

More fantastic news, there's been a worrying rise in hospitalisations of young people

https://twitter.com/LouisWu1992/status/1343621428885778435?s=20

Mimon wrote: »
    You obviously don't have to go to work like a lot of people.

I was out for 3 weeks last March and been in ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

They already decided to close gyms and retail next week, before Christmas.
    The lockdown will last until March 27th.

Have it on good authority so I'll believe it

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I think people are just annoyed that we have left it get so out of hand that we need to go into another protracted lockdown now. I doubt anyone here is actually scared as you have described.

Cases were always going rise though, the only way to avoid going into another protracted lockdown seems to be staying in lockdown in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'd love to, only I have to work. In a hospital. No work from home allowed. Much mixing with others. Considered low priority for the vaccine - not frontline.

I'd love to stay at home and ride it out but yet I still risk bringing this wretched thing back home to my parents, who are both in their 70s. No I can't move out. And statistically if some fool at work has mixed with friends over Christmas, passes it onto me, I bring it home and infect my parents, one of them is reasonably likely to die from it.

MOR316 wrote: »
    They already decided to close gyms and retail next week, before Christmas.
    The lockdown will last until March 27th.

Have it on good authority so I'll believe it

What kind of lockdown, are you saying no retail until end of march.

No clue about retail closing until then. I never asked but, hospitality probably until March 27th.

Could be wrong obviously but, she's gotten it right before so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

jackboy wrote: »
    The prospect of a 2000 case day followed by tightening of restrictions is absolutely a realistic possibility now. If anyone wants to get something from a non essential retail shop I would advise them to sort that out in the next couple of days.

Packed shops with greater risk of covid from people wanting to exchange gifts and spend vouchers. If, as rumoured, non essential retail closes it further proves my opinion that nphet don't understand human behaviours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It probably means some sort of restrictions till that date, but not necessarily at this current level

shocksy wrote: »
    He's talking absolute rubbish through a donkeys bo***x

I'm just passing on what I was told.

I really don't care if you believe me or not. Makes no difference to me

I'd love to, only I have to work. In a hospital. No work from home allowed. Much mixing with others. Considered low priority for the vaccine - not frontline.

I'd love to stay at home and ride it out but yet I still risk bringing this wretched thing back home to my parents, who are both in their 70s. No I can't move out. And statistically if some fool at work has mixed with friends over Christmas, passes it onto me, I bring it home and infect my parents, one of them is reasonably likely to die from it.

I have been working for the last 9 months, wore my mask, kept 2 meters. It's not that hard. Why can't you move out. Reasonably likely to die from it, do you really think this. Its not a death sentence. Chances are still tiny even if they get it.

It probably means some sort of restrictions till that date, but not necessarily at this current level

Obviously we will have some restrictions until March.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Cases were always going rise though, the only way to avoid going into another protracted lockdown seems to be staying in lockdown in the first place.

Agreed. Cases had to rise. Personally I was hoping for some sort of steady state semi lockdown semi open back in early December when they opened up.

The government seem to have gone for that approach now but I think it will at best keep things somewhat steady at the level we reach in early January which will by my guess stress hospitals unacceptably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Anyone know what the peak numbers in hospital, with covid, have been since March?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement