Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I would argue the evidence is clear as day that this new more contagious strain is all over Ireland and the UK.

How else do you explain the huge explosion in figures? We were only out of lockdown for a few weeks and yet our figures are back to where we were in March!

What evidence?

There is obviously going to be huge reluctance to admit we're actually not out of the woods, but still screwed for some time.

The half-done studies touting vaccine efficacy in very small samples with wildly varying percentages of success in preventing people from spreading covid do not give me relief. Add to that the fact that we're not administering the doses as recommended, the people who get the vaccine are still getting sick and some seem to be spreading covid, the rollout of the programme is slow AF.

It's self-deception to have hope of this being even close to the end. I'd give my life savings for four years in suspended animation.

Indeed, a lot of people here are hanging on to the propaganda fed to them by governments. I actually believe some are getting excited at Adverts like Ryan Air suggesting we all get vaxed and book our holiday flights for 2021!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

A more contagious fast-spreading strain of a virus is worse than the strain we had back in March.

Let’s leave it there I asked you for evidence to back up your claims, you clearly have none . Have a good one.

petes wrote: »
    What evidence?

Increase in numbers?

Do you think people were doing different things in the early part of December compared to the early part of October?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The cases are doubling 2 - 3 days. I'm sure with the curtailing of testing they'll level off as we simply won't have the capacity. That doesn't mean that it won't be in the community at those levels and it also means that hospitalisations and ICU won't be increase.

I remember a much happier time on here when people were arguing about the definition of exponential or that there wouldn't be a second wave or that it's a casedemic and there won't be hospitalisations as seen in the first wave. Stay safe.

People's minds have really been polluted from all the sh!te over in America filtering into their facebook feed.

538383.png

538384.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The half-done studies touting vaccine efficacy in very small samples with wildly varying percentages of success in preventing people from spreading covid do not give me relief.

The covid-19 vaccine trials are amongst the largest ever vaccine trials run. i.e. they have the largest sample sizes we have ever seen to test vaccine efficacy.

https://www.evaluate.com/vantage/articles/news/snippets/its-official-covid-19-vaccine-trials-rank-among-largest

Let’s leave it there I asked you for evidence to back up your claims, you clearly have none . Have a good one.

So you think the explosion in numbers compared to the previous period that led to lockdown is not significant at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I would argue the evidence is clear as day that this new more contagious strain is all over Ireland and the UK.

How else do you explain the huge explosion in figures? We were only out of lockdown for a few weeks and yet our figures are back to where we were in March!
    It's 10% of cases. What has led to the explosion in cases is the increased level of mixing up to Christmas. The HSE spoke of people having 15-30 contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

One can only hope, but for every scientist that says it will work there are others who say it won't.

Vaccine won’t work against South Africa coronavirus variant, worry UK scientists
    https://www.theafricareport.com/57083/vaccine-wont-work-against-south-africa-coronavirus-variant-worry-uk-scientists/

That's a very drab article, he actually says he doesn't know but his feeling is that the vaccines are very effective and even if this South African variant is more effective at beating the vaccines, the vaccines will still prove beneficial in reducing its effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Tork wrote: »
    Luke O'Neill, who I know isn't popular in these threads, said that the vaccine is a version of thousands of big guns all firing at the same little target. He wasn't concerned that the new strain(s) would be resistant to the vaccine.

Bizarre that he’s not liked when he is arguably the person who’s opinion and observations we should listen to most in terms of an infectious disease. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society - one of only 2 people of Ireland to be awarded this I believe in the medical arena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Increase in numbers?

Do you think people were doing different things in the early part of December compared to the early part of October?

You said the new strain i all over Ireland, specifically, what is the evidence for this.

You are posting stuff on here with absolutely nothing to back any of it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

Yes, back to the ifs, maybe, hopefully, etc.

The reality is, we simply do not know, the vaccine it's not even 100% effective. They don't even know how long immunity will last and now governments are looking at delaying the 2nd jab!

Where is returning to normality if the new strain is more contagious and spreads faster, you still need to wear a mask and social distance if vaccinated?

Calm yourself, take a break from the media for a while.

Your getting very worked up. Get out for a walk or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

fits wrote: »

It's like a horror movie.

Except it's not a movie.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Two of my sister's in law were in our house Christmas Day for dinner and subsequently tested positive around New Year.

HSE did not deem me or my family close contacts....no need to be tested.

Rang GP yesterday and he said same....but he said he would send us all for tests, just in case, as I have bad asthma.

This morning we have all (4 of us) tested positive! :eek:

Just goes to show! Imagine how many positives are out there now who don't 'qualify' for testing!

The covid-19 vaccine trials are amongst the largest ever vaccine trials run. i.e. they have the largest sample sizes we have ever seen to test vaccine efficacy.

https://www.evaluate.com/vantage/articles/news/snippets/its-official-covid-19-vaccine-trials-rank-among-largest

Yet they still did not test for long-term problems and they still do not know how long immunity lasts?

also, the subjects for the trials were hand-picked healthy people. Not your average joe.

Let's also not forget, the Vaccine does not offer 100% immunity, you still can carry the virus and infect others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The cases are doubling 2 - 3 days. I'm sure with the curtailing of testing they'll level off as we simply won't have the capacity. That doesn't mean that it won't be in the community at those levels and it also means that hospitalisations and ICU won't be increase.

I remember a much happier time on here when people were arguing about the definition of exponential or that there wouldn't be a second wave or that it's a casedemic and there won't be hospitalisations as seen in the first wave. Stay safe.

People's minds have really been polluted from all the sh!te over in America filtering into their facebook feed.

Here's Nolan's slide using specimen date. This is the most accurate view we have of the infection growth. I wish they'd release the data

538385.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You said the new strain i all over Ireland, specifically, what is the evidence for this.

I’d say FaceBook and WhatsApp are his sources. Can’t imagine why no one would take them seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

They're not sure yet but the new strain from the UK might be making people less sick.

Ok let's break it down,

We have entered 3 lockdowns,

1st lockdown we had high numbers where the virus spread over months.

2nd lockdown, high numbers but nowhere as high as the previous numbers.

3rd lockdown, explosive numbers is just a small period of 2 weeks. Not comparable with any previous lockdown numbers in such a small period of time.

In between all of this we are informed by the UK government that there is a new strain that is far more contagious and is now dominant in the UK and has led to their lockdown because of the fast spread of infection rate.

Do you not think it is? I'd be very surprised if it's not our main variant now considering we have a border to the UK. It's taken over in counties as far as Denmark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Two of my sister's in law were in our house Christmas Day for dinner and subsequently tested positive around New Year.

Rang GP yesterday and he said same....but he said he would send us all for tests, just in case, as I have bad asthma.

Just goes to show! Imagine who many positives are out there now who don't 'qualify' for testing!

FFS, sorry to here that. Yeah we must be missing multiples alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

What's the delay in getting the Oxford vaccine out to all doctors surgeries? Like why can't a vaccine be rolled out ASAP like in NI and GB.

Just goes to show! Imagine who many positives are out there now who don't 'qualify' for testing!

Why are they saying you weren't close contacts? That's mad. Good luck with it, chances are you'll be fine!

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's 10% of cases. What has led to the explosion in cases is the increased level of mixing up to Christmas. The HSE spoke of people having 15-30 contacts.

You do understand that the figures we have now are from the first 2 weeks of December? There is roughly a 2-week delay in catching the virus, displaying symptoms to testing. Christmas week figures should start showing by the end of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Yet they still did not test for long-term problems and they still do not know how long immunity lasts?

also, the subjects for the trials were hand-picked healthy people. Not your average joe.

Let's also not forget, the Vaccine does not offer 100% immunity, you still can carry the virus and infect others.

Yesterday you were posting about several countries changing the time between vaccine doses and implying it means there's an issue with the vaccines. Today you're claiming without evidence that the vaccines might not work.

It seems you have a problem with the vaccines. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its 12 days since Christmas day, how do you feel? Many symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The growth is incredible, you would have to assume that we spend quite a lot of winter carrying cold and flu viruses only some of which make us ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Indeed, a lot of people here are hanging on to the propaganda fed to them by governments. I actually believe some are getting excited at Adverts like Ryan Air suggesting we all get vaxed and book our holiday flights for 2021!
    I have family members literally doing this.

I am yeah going to be the one to burst that bubble.

Still, these are supposedly educated people and they're completely willing to be lied to if it makes them feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probes wrote: »
    Do you not think it is? I'd be very surprised if it's not our main variant now considering we have a border to the UK. It's taken over in counties as far as Denmark.
    It's not "taken over" in Denmark, it's been detected there.

It hasn't taken over anywhere except London and the surrounding region.

• Advertisement

What's the delay in getting the Oxford vaccine out to all doctors surgeries? Like why can't a vaccine be rolled out ASAP like in NI and GB.

They've done an emergency roll out, I think they have to do a test on every batch that they get sent which may be slower than actually going through the normal process in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement