Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'd like to see evidence of those who had the vaccine testing positive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

With the schools most likely to remain closed now until the end of January, and possibly beyond, am I within the regulations to bring my son down to his grandmother for childcare purposes each day?

We are both home based (and always have been), but the nature of our work means it's difficult to look after our 5 year old son (a lot of conference calls etc...). We could have managed up until this week, but if the school closures extend for a number of weeks, it won't be as easy to do so.

As far as I'm aware, you can go outside the 5km limit and visit households for childcare purposes right? Though I would simply drop junior to my mothers front door, and collect him from there too, keeping unnecessary contact to a minimum, and not going inside the house myself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Probes wrote: »
    Why are they saying you weren't close contacts? That's mad. Good luck with it, chances are you'll be fine!

They (HSE) said to one of my sisters in law that we were not considered close contacts as they became symptomatic in excess of 48 hours after they were in our house. So 48 hours is their (the HSE's) criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Jinonatron wrote: »
    I’m starting to lose hope that 2021 will be any better than 2020.
    What's the delay in getting the Oxford vaccine out to all doctors surgeries? Like why can't a vaccine be rolled out ASAP like in NI and GB.

Brussels are useless.

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-vaccination-blame-game-is-it-all-the-eus-fault/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What's the delay in getting the Oxford vaccine out to all doctors surgeries? Like why can't a vaccine be rolled out ASAP like in NI and GB.
    What's the delay in Ireland? It hasn't been approved for use so is not available to us would be the big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Bizarre that he’s not liked when he is arguably the person who’s opinion and observations we should listen to most in terms of an infectious disease. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society - one of only 2 people of Ireland to be awarded this I believe in the medical arena.

I think it's the tone of his voice. Very cheery when talking about a serious topic, and that irks people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

LA County now having to conserve oxygen. There's another video on Twitter which I won't post here showing the aftermath of a hospital in Egypt which ran out of oxygen - all this 0.5% death rate stuff goes out the window when the hospitals are exhausted.

https://twitter.com/Pervaizistan/status/1346283751861608449

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Two of my sister's in law were in our house Christmas Day for dinner and subsequently tested positive around New Year.

HSE did not deem me or my family close contacts....no need to be tested.

Rang GP yesterday and he said same....but he said he would send us all for tests, just in case, as I have bad asthma.

This morning we have all (4 of us) tested positive! :eek:

Just goes to show! Imagine how many positives are out there now who don't 'qualify' for testing!
    Some idea of how teachers feel about their workplaces, in which they are not deemed close contacts of children they meet daily.

Sorry about your positive test, and I hope everyone is recovering well and feeling good. It can't be an easy time for you all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

prunudo wrote: »
    Its 12 days since Christmas day, how do you feel? Many symptoms?

Fine now. Felt a bit sluggish last week, with a couple of aches and pains, that was about it. No temperature or cough.

Actually you've just sparked me into remembering his main punchline which I had forgotten.

Hitchins argued with the presenter when she told him many people had died from Covid, by ssying that "They did not die from Covid" they died "with Covid".

"Covid didn't kill them" they just happened to have acquired Covid, but in most cases Covid doesn't kill you.

His main argument being the difference between "died from" as opposed to "died with" . Take from that what you will.

Mandrake04 had a chart the cuts out all this bollixology. Not that you would expect it to stop
    mandrake04 wrote: »

538371.PNG

• Advertisement

Yesterday you were posting about several countries changing the time between vaccine doses and implying it means there's an issue with the vaccines. Today you're claiming without evidence that the vaccines might not work.

It seems you have a problem with the vaccines. Why?

There certainly is an issue with the vaccines, they can't get them out quick enough because of the new spread of infection being so fast.

This is why they are ignoring manufacturer warnings and trying to spread what they have across a far larger population percentage. As posted yesterday some scientists are worried about this because it could lead to the vaccine no longer working as the virus adapts.

We also then have the worry that we do not know how much protection the vaccine provides, so they will at some point have to decide when you need top-up vaccines which all leads to more demand on the vaccine supply chain.

What are people supposed to do, do they have an automatic vaccine failure detector? Nope, they will be expected to be tested for antibodies every so often and in between continue wearing a mask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Probes wrote: »
    Do you not think it is? I'd be very surprised if it's not our main variant now considering we have a border to the UK. It's taken over in counties as far as Denmark.

Yeah if it's in a country chances are it'll take over anyway. We came out and said 10% of the cases sequenced were the new variant. Followed by "nothing to worry about".

What we weren't told was the sampling criteria. It was a small sample and probably geographically disparate. When this emerged it was only in Kent / SE England. They could easily have said

"It's only in 10% of samples so nothing to worry about"

They've now closed schools and the variant is the dominant strain in most of UK.

Why does that matter though? Well it means it has an advantage. That advantage is it is likely more transmissible.

We really need to cotton on a bit quicker with this thing. We place optics ahead of science right the way throughout this. I really can't see schools staying open. Coming out and saying it's not cause of the variant is like when they came out and said masks don't work. You'll now have a sizeable minority who won't believe that schools should shut because the variant is bollox. It's not.

A more contagious fast-spreading strain of a virus is worse than the strain we had back in March.

Evidence?

With the schools most likely to remain closed now until the end of January, and possibly beyond, am I within the regulations to bring my son down to his grandmother for childcare purposes each day?

We are both home based (and always have been), but the nature of our work means it's difficult to look after our 5 year old son (a lot of conference calls etc...). We could have managed up until this week, but if the school closures extend for a number of weeks, it won't be as easy to do so.

As far as I'm aware, you can go outside the 5km limit and visit households for childcare purposes right? Though I would simply drop junior to my mothers front door, and collect him from there too, keeping unnecessary contact to a minimum, and not going inside the house myself.

Creches are open and taking in children for essential workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, this is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Let’s leave it there I asked you for evidence to back up your claims, you clearly have none . Have a good one.

How do do it day in, day out?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I would argue the evidence is clear as day that this new more contagious strain is all over Ireland and the UK.

How else do you explain the huge explosion in figures? We were only out of lockdown for a few weeks and yet our figures are back to where we were in March!

The actual evidence for Ireland says otherwise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Two of my sister's in law were in our house Christmas Day for dinner and subsequently tested positive around New Year.

Rang GP yesterday and he said same....but he said he would send us all for tests, just in case, as I have bad asthma.

Just goes to show! Imagine how many positives are out there now who don't 'qualify' for testing!

How did they not seem you a close contact? I know they have testing issues but shouldn't you be a close contact and still isolate?

Or is it a fact that it's so rampant that the whole country has no option but to shut down because of all the close contacts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Tork wrote: »
    They're not sure yet but the new strain from the UK might be making people less sick.

Source or wild speculation. They said no difference either way. Hence their hospitals facing a tough time.

Evidence?

New strain of Covid-19 tripled infections despite UK lockdown, report says

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210102-new-strain-of-covid-19-tripled-infections-despite-uk-lockdown-report-says

If the UK has it we have it, would explain why our cases have exploded too unless you have a better reason why our cases have exploded in 2 weeks from our last lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Unless you are faultless in your covid precautions, sounds like a bad idea - you're putting your mother at risk.

The actual evidence for Ireland says otherwise

So how do you explain the explosion in cases for Ireland over the first 2 weeks of December from a previous lockdown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

There certainly is an issue with the vaccines, they can't get them out quick enough because of the new spread of infection being so fast.

This is why they are ignoring manufacturer warnings and trying to spread what they have across a far larger population percentage. As posted yesterday some scientists are worried about this because it could lead to the vaccine no longer working as the virus adapts.

We also then have the worry that we do not know how much protection the vaccine provides, so they will at some point have to decide when you need top-up vaccines which all leads to more demand on the vaccine supply chain.

What are people supposed to do, do they have an automatic vaccine failure detector? Nope, they will be expected to be tested for antibodies every so often and in between continue wearing a mask.

You really or doom and gloom without any scientific evidence to back up your claims. Calm down and stop letting your mind run away with itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Every time I hear one of the big anti maskers, scamdemiv idiots getting covid, and even severe Covid, I laugh and think 'Delighted for them' and yes I have lost family to covid but I still dgaf if these idiots get it and die.

Ok let's break it down,

We have entered 3 lockdowns,

1st lockdown we had high numbers where the virus spread over months.

2nd lockdown, high numbers but nowhere as high as the previous numbers.

3rd lockdown, explosive numbers is just a small period of 2 weeks. Not comparable with any previous lockdown numbers in such a small period of time.

In between all of this we are informed by the UK government that there is a new strain that is far more contagious and is now dominant in the UK and has led to their lockdown because of the fast spread of infection rate.

Been pointed out multiple times that this "strain" is only present in 10% of samples sent for Genetic testing here. It is not responsible for our surge

How did they not seem you a close contact?

We were not considered close contacts (by the HSE) as my sisters in law only became symptomatic in excess of 48 hours after they were in our house.

Isolating now as I am positive. Only plus is the entire household is positive so we don't have to isolate from each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ok let's break it down,

We have entered 3 lockdowns,

1st lockdown we had high numbers where the virus spread over months.

2nd lockdown, high numbers but nowhere as high as the previous numbers.

3rd lockdown, explosive numbers is just a small period of 2 weeks. Not comparable with any previous lockdown numbers in such a small period of time.

In between all of this we are informed by the UK government that there is a new strain that is far more contagious and is now dominant in the UK and has led to their lockdown because of the fast spread of infection rate.

Initial thoughts was that the new strain wasn't causing the huge increase as it wasn't detected in great numbers, it was peoples behaviour.

You do understand that the figures we have now are from the first 2 weeks of December? There is roughly a 2-week delay in catching the virus, displaying symptoms to testing. Christmas week figures should start showing by the end of this week.

5 days on average. Next piece of BS?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Are you sure they said not a close conact or just not for a test
    I was a close contact in a house and they said to isolate for 14 days but test only if symptomatic . The advise for close cintacts is to isolate anyway for 14 days

• Advertisement

Pcgamer wrote: »
    You really or doom and gloom without any scientific evidence to back up your claims. Calm down and stop letting your mind run away with itself.

Doom and gloom? Is fact.

They cant produce enough vaccines hence why they are now ignoring manufacturer warnings and stopping the 2nd jab.

1) What do you think happens if you don't get your 2nd jab in the required time?
    2) how do you know when the vaccine wears off and you need a 2nd, 3rd, 4th jab?
    3) You do understand you still have to wear a mask and social distance even if you have had a vaccine?

4) If they cant produce enough vaccines now, how can they even think about producing vaccines for the 2nd, 3rd, and subsequent jabs we are all going to need?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement