Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

5,325 cases 17 deaths..

That's the maximum we can test for - 25k tests @ 22% positive = 5,500 a day maximum positive cases that can be identified!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Sorry to hear.

Was he otherwise ill? Or just Covid?

Yes he was in hospital for past 8 weeks, he was getting better, caught covid 3 weeks ago went down hill quick, ended up on a ventilator.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Stheno wrote: »
    Positivity was 25% yesterday iirc

Oh, you may be right, seems I was looking at the moving average of the positivity rate: https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

I can’t see any way to get yesterday’s rate there?

Boris saying that 25% of over-eighties already vaccinated in the UK. Seems like it’s kicking in fast over there now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Didn't Mary Horgan have a barney with i think NPHET last week?

Or maybe it was about no communications to.GPs about vaccinew

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

harr wrote: »
    Doesn’t make it any less shocking

Didn't say it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 35,996 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Dublin and Cock City have big numbers, should be some stricter rules there,

On one hand they say virus is spreading by gathering indoors, on other hand ...a stay at home order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Stheno wrote: »

Surely it's a given that people's contacts would lessen in comparison with Christmas and New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Dublin and Cock City have big numbers

Oi Oi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Steve012 wrote: »
    Yes he was in hospital for past 8 weeks, he was getting better, caught covid 3 weeks ago went down hill quick, ended up on a ventilator.

I’m sure a lot of people have a similar story, in hospital for other treatment and caught COVID while in there.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Boris saying that 25% of over-eighties already vaccinated in the UK. Seems like it’s kicking in fast over there now
    We'll be able to make claims like that when we have THREE vaccines to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I read, i think it was bbc, that they think the new variant is just better at getting into your cells.Higher viral load would also make it more dangerous, it's just more infectious... right?
    GooglePlus wrote: »
    Can you explain that weird graph, they both look much the same?

It's a bit complicated but basically the variant (s drop out / LEFT side) reaches the threshold for detection with less cycles in the PCR test. i.e it doesn't take as many cycles so more virus present. The black bars show the median values for both variant and non variant. There is a clear difference between the two.

This analysis suggests that patients whose samples exhibit the S-dropout profile in the TaqPath test are more likely to have high viral loads at the time of sampling. The relevance of this to epidemiological reports of fast spread of the SARS-CoV-2 in regions of the UK is discussed.

Paper: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.24.20248834v1.full.pdf

As for mortality. It is possible the higher viral load is only in the upper respiratory tract and creates more aerosols but same amount of people suffer serious illness as the old variant.

Incredibly this was hypothesised in March 2020 by Carl T. Bergstrom biologist and author of "Calling Bull****: The Art of Scepticism in a Data-Driven World" Great book by the way.

We don't know if this is the reason for the higher viral load observed.

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1242317101529837568?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Still about 10k in backlog

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Steve012 wrote: »

That’s why I have no intention of going near a hospital

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

The new strain (UK etc) is accounting for a far higher number of cases than posters were claiming recently. It seems De Gascun wasn’t accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The deaths are over the last 4 days..not just yesterday

So what? Nobody thought they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Saw my mother through a glass door today.
    While speaking on the phone she says come in or I'll kick the door down.
    Sad in a way but have to admire the fire in her still at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The new strain (UK etc) is accounting for a far higher number of cases than posters were claiming recently. It seems De Gascun wasn’t accurate.

Proportion may have increased since he made his comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Dublin and Cock City have big numbers, should be some stricter rules there,

Feckin Langers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Have you a source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

I'm sure plenty will think they are all from today or do you have the word from the entire population?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://twitter.com/KarenSquires18/status/1346513067987898371
    People like this just scare me and totally make me question the motives of every 'sceptic' of COVID (obviously I did already but evil **** like this just further consolidates my doubts of their character). Like the chances of this person having at least 6 'mates' die after testing positive for COVID in the last 9 months of the 75,000 total in entire of the UK are exactly zero. What do they think they will achieve this this kind of crap? We'll all believe them and pretend COVID isn't killing large numbers of people? Are they bots, or somebody with vested interests?Anarchists? I can't figure out who they are, what they could possibly hope to get out of posting this kind of nonsense. But it's truly sadistic and evil. Whatever about misinterpretation of statistics and associated misinformation, but this is just a completely transparent and sick way of deceiving and brainwashing people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Have you a source?

It's stated in today's news briefing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

The person I replied to prob thought they were..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

blade1 wrote: »
    Saw my mother through a glass door today.
    While speaking on the phone she says come in or I'll kick the door down.
    Sad in a way but have to admire the fire in her still at the same time.

What wing of the Joy is she in?

it's a joke btw......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Happy4all wrote: »
    It's stated in today's news briefing

Thanks I missed that.

Seems to be growing quickly from 10% to 25%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Interesting to see Prof Butler on, seems like she already has a role in briefings but maybe it's more formal now and about vaccination process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

sonofenoch wrote: »
    What wing of the Joy is she in?

it's a joke btw......

We'll see who's joking when I tell you said that! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

Cases down from yesterday, turning the tide hopefully. With restrictions cases should be well under 500 this day two weeks time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement