Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Does anyone know if the backlog cases are people who are only hearing about their positive result today, or is it only being reported nationally now?

The people will have already been informed of their result.
    Turnaround time is still around 30 hours.

The delay id the HPSC sorting through those positive results and determining if they are new cases or repeat swabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

05-01-2021-p1.jpg
    05-01-2021-p2.jpg
    05-01-2021-p3.jpg
    05-01-2021-p4.jpg
    05-01-2021-p5.jpg
    05-01-2021-p6.jpg
    05-01-2021-p7.jpg
    05-01-2021-p8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/KarenSquires18/status/1346513067987898371
    People like this just scare me and totally make me question the motives of every 'sceptic' of COVID (obviously I did already but evil **** like this just further consolidates my doubts of their character). Like the chances of this person having at least 6 'mates' die after testing positive for COVID in the last 9 months of the 75,000 total in entire of the UK are exactly zero. What do they think they will achieve this this kind of crap? We'll all believe them and pretend COVID isn't killing large numbers of people? Are they bots, or somebody with vested interests?Anarchists? I can't figure out who they are, what they could possibly hope to get out of posting this kind of nonsense. But it's truly sadistic and evil. Whatever about misinterpretation of statistics and associated misinformation, but this is just a completely transparent and sick way of deceiving and brainwashing people.
    Christ....me fail English that's unpossible...
    Idiots/bots best ignored.
    Is she possibly cursed?! All her "mates" dying in such a short period of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dublin and Cock City have big numbers, should be some stricter rules there,

On one hand they say virus is spreading by gathering indoors, on other hand ...a stay at home order.

Big numbers reflective of large populations?

Or bigger numbers relative to population?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

68 discharges 79 admissions but 71 new Covid cases in hospital

Thats 60 cases identified in patients in hospitals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Eod100 wrote: »
    Interesting to see Prof Butler on, seems like she already has a role in briefings but maybe it's more formal now and about vaccination process.

Maybe a sign of the beginnings of a switch to the vaccination stage?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Maybe a sign of the beginnings of a switch to the vaccination stage?

According to the Irish Times journalists are being bounced from the HSE to the Dept of Health and back again when asking for info on the vaccine plan so maybe this is also to.address that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

They are working through the backlog now.

Positive swabs the last 48hrs 9625
    Confirmed cases last 48hrs 11435

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Stheno wrote: »
    68 discharges 79 admissions but 71 new Covid cases in hospital

Thats 60 cases identified in patients in hospitals

Yes it's a major issue that is being glossed over (see the poster just before whose relative died after contracting Covid while in Hospital).

We can only hope that vaccination of Hospital staff will slow this down.

I still don't understand why they don't use Anitigen tests on healthcare workers every day...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

According to the Irish Times journalists are being bounced from the HSE to the Dept of Health and back again when asking for info on the vaccine plan so maybe this is also to.address that
    Well, the vaccination plan is very fluid at present. Vaccine number 2 will change it again. IT journalists have been right whingers at times during this anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They are working through the backlog now.

Positive swabs the last 48hrs 9625
    Confirmed cases last 48hrs 11435

Still about 10k there though so they should work through it faster tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Cases down from yesterday, turning the tide hopefully. With restrictions cases should be well under 500 this day two weeks time.

Are you having a laugh?

Yes it's a major issue that is being glossed over (see the poster just before whose relative died after contracting Covid while in Hospital).

I still don't understand why they don't use Anitigen tests on healthcare workers every day...

In fairness to the CMO he did highlight that two thirds of deaths in December were infections acquired in hospitals and nursing homes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

How do I find the positive swab count for today please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

blade1 wrote: »
    We'll see who's joking when I tell you said that! :pac:

Oh ****....your ma sounds like a shot caller

:D

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    How do I find the positive swab count for today please

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1346481841558048772?s=19

This lad publishes it every day

In fairness to the CMO he did highlight that two thirds of deaths in December were infections acquired in hospitals and nursing homes

It has been highlighted but what is being done about it?
    IMO just continually saying that we can't stop community transmission getting into the hospitals is not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

Airbourne virus in circulation

Hospital safety measures

Canteen's open, staff eating sandwiches, drinking coffee's, one entrance

Be safer walking around Southill with an iPhone 12

Thanks a mill . So they are adding in the backlog now . They can manipulate numbers with that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It has been highlighted but what is being done about it?
    IMO just continually saying that we can't stop community transmission getting into the hospitals is not good enough.

Unfortunately it seems fairly difficult if not impossible as staff who work in hospitals and other settings obviously work in community and so increased risk when cases are so high. Also heard Paul Reid saying there's system in place where staff who have been identified as close contacts and don't have symptoms work and are tested due to staff shortages. Ideally neither would happen but system is so under pressure I'm not sure what the alternative is.

Awful for anyone who gets it in those settings through no fault of their own of course too.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill . So they are adding in the backlog now . They can manipulate numbers with that ?

I think they said in the briefing that 879 of todays cases are from the backlog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What do you mean by "manipulate"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

thelad95 wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh?

I'd imagine not too good at maths and obviously didn't look at lockdowns 1 and 2. If he did he'd realise cases don't go to one tenth of what they were in a fortnight. That would be literal decimation of cases!

Ficheall wrote: »
    What do you mean by "manipulate"?

Add in as many from the backlog as it suits ? They could add in 1000 today and 3000 tomorrow
    My question is why not simply tell us todays figure and then the added backlog figures added to todays ? It must be an easy thing to do ?

I think they said in the briefing that 879 of todays cases are from the backlog

Thank you .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Cases down from yesterday, turning the tide hopefully. With restrictions cases should be well under 500 this day two weeks time.

Think the aim is get it under 1,000 before the end of the month but not sure if that is even higher with case numbers still very high.

Unfortunately it seems fairly difficult if not impossible as staff who work in hospitals and other settings obviously work in community and so increased risk when cases are so high. Also heard Paul Reid saying there's system in place where staff who have been identified as close contacts and don't have symptoms work and are tested due to staff shortages. Ideally neither would happen but system is so under pressure I'm not sure what the alternative is.

Awful for anyone who gets it in those settings through no fault of their own of course too.

Give the staff an antigen test every day.
    The school where i work was offered them for €4.50 each. The result is there in 10 minutes. The tests may not show all infections but in my experience they do catch everyone who is infectious. Any staff they catch with an infection is one they wouldn't have done otherwise. I see no downside to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

5325 cases; 17 deaths

Previous Tuesdays:
    29/12: 1546
    22/12: 970
    15/12: 329
    08/12: 215
    01/12: 269

5-day average: 4309

7-day average: 3554.7
    (Previous 7 days: 1033.7)

14-day cases/100k: 674.4
    (7 days ago: 246.1)

In hospital: 840
    In ICU: 76

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

titan18 wrote: »
    Still about 10k there though so they should work through it faster tbh

Patience is a virtue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

The care home my grandparents are in called for permission for the vaccine to be administered and also to make a decision that if they were to contract CovID in the home that they would not get treatment for it in hospital. That they would just be made comfortable in the home. Could be a factor in pushing nursing home figures up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement