Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The new strain (UK etc) is accounting for a far higher number of cases than posters were claiming recently. It seems De Gascun wasn’t accurate.

Why do people seem to think that things can’t change?
    Has to be accurate on day 1 regardless of what the actual numbers say

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Give the staff an antigen test every day.
    The school where i work was offered them for €4.50 each. The result is there in 10 minutes. The tests may not show all infections but in my experience they do catch everyone who is infectious. Any staff they catch with an infection is one they wouldn't have done otherwise. I see no downside to it.

I think staff are getting PCR tests but not sure how often. Think the anitgen tests aren't backed up by NPHET yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The school where i work was offered them for €4.50 each. The result is there in 10 minutes. The tests may not show all infections but in my experience they do catch everyone who is infectious. Any staff they catch with an infection is one they wouldn't have done otherwise. I see no downside to it.

This is why the vaccine is being rolled out in hospitals

Hopefully in a months/six weeks time they will all be vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Add in as many from the backlog as it suits ? They could add in 1000 today and 3000 tomorrow
    My question is why not simply tell us todays figure and then the added backlog figures added to todays ? It must be an easy thing to do ?
    Suits to do what though? What do you feel their goal is?

Today's backlog is from, say, Saturday and Sunday and Monday, and Monday cleared some of Saturday and Sunday's backlog, which you presumably wanted reported separately and some of Monday's cases, so today's backlog will contain some of Saturday's, Sunday's and Monday's and some of today's cases, and then if Saturday's cases have been cleared in this backlog like one would hope, then tomorrow's backlog will be some of today's cases as well as Sunday and Monday cases not yet accounted for as well as tomorrow's cases themselves, and how much clearer does that make things?

It's not like when we had cases from months ago - yesterday's cases are still indicative of a bad situation and appropriate course of action if we hear about them today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lashes28 wrote: »
    The care home my grandparents are in called for permission for the vaccine to be administered and also to make a decision that if they were to contract CovID in the home that they would not get treatment for it in hospital. That they would just be made comfortable in the home. Could be a factor in pushing nursing home figures up.

Can you refuse to consent to them not being sent to hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Why do people seem to think that things can’t change?
    Has to be accurate on day 1 regardless of what the actual numbers say

Yes, it’s significantly more virulent, so was always going to become the dominant strain quite quickly if not stopped in its tracks. It stands to reason that the % is going to increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Stheno wrote: »
    In fairness to the CMO he did highlight that two thirds of deaths in December were infections acquired in hospitals and nursing homes

Like to see the breakdown between hospital and nursing homes but its a fairly shocking statistic and raises so many questions.

prunudo wrote: »
    Like to see the breakdown between hospital and nursing homes but its a fairly shocking statistic and raises so many questions.

I think it was literally 50/50

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We are still seeing 1 in 5 test positive

Were up a creek without a paddle

I think it was literally 50/50

Yep
    There have been 101 deaths from coronavirus recorded this month, with 33 associated with outbreaks in hospitals and the same number again linked to nursing homes.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/two-thirds-of-covid-deaths-in-december-linked-to-outbreaks-in-hospitals-and-nursing-homes-39917924.html

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    We are still seeing 1 in 5 test positive

Were up a creek without a paddle

Jaysis give it at least a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

rob316 wrote: »
    The problem is the hospitalization figures, thats what the whole lockdown is about, preventing our health service from total collapse.

I think our health system is literally about to collspse

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Antigen test have poor performance. They will miss cases and who can afford to miss cases in a healthcare setting on unreliable devices.

The pilot program of using them in Liverool had very poor results.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4848

Antigen tests take at least 15 mins. Plus the time to explain the procedure and document the person's details. That's a throughput of 4 people an hour. So you need multiple devices operated all day every day to test every single staff member, not forgetting those on night shift.
    What hospital can spare a team of staff to operate rapid tests that have poor accuracy when they can have a pcr test performed on site in their laboratory.

I dont know why a school was offered these rapid tests when they havent been approved for use in a clinical setting, never mind a school. That could well have been a company looking to make money selling these tests to make users feel like doing something is better than nothing, but when they cant be trusted or controlled it would be a waste of the schools money.

Happy4all wrote: »
    I'm shocked at that. Nursing homes I know of test residents and all staff fortnightly.

It drpends what sector of health you are in. The one I am in all staff and service users did a test once.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It drpends what sector of health you are in. The one I am in all staff and service users did a test once.

One test for staff and residents in a nursing home full stop?

What about the alleged serial testing every Two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What’s happening in Limerick?

Gael23 wrote: »
    What’s happening in Limerick?

Christmas celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ettravel

Lashes28 wrote: »
    The care home my grandparents are in called for permission for the vaccine to be administered and also to make a decision that if they were to contract CovID in the home that they would not get treatment for it in hospital. That they would just be made comfortable in the home. Could be a factor in pushing nursing home figures up.

jesus, what a horrible situation to face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Just aswell a deal for capacity in the private hospital sector has been done. I don’t think people understand how to use the word literally though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Same can be said about every winter in recent memory with our health service.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Every now and then someone pops in to say "relax, wear a mask, wash your hands". Can I add stay warm to that? This is not the year to skimp on the heating bill, mind yerselves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Can you refuse to consent to them not being sent to hospital?

Of course you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

That’s limited to just Nursing home/residential units in the health setting AFAIK...also serial testing ongoing in the likes of direct provision centres and “high risk” settings e.g. meat plants

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Surely the crazy numbers of cases is more to do with the UK variant spreading than anything else? I know people let their guard down over Christmas but hardly to an extent that the numbers suggest? Two weeks ago we hadn't even heard of this new variant so it's got to have been spreading for quite a while already.

Surely the crazy numbers of cases is more to do with the UK variant spreading than anything else? I know people let their guard down over Christmas but hardly to an extent that the numbers suggest? Two weeks ago we hadn't even heard of this new variant so it's got to have been spreading for quite a while already.

People went nuts

Some of those who tested positive had 30 close.contacts over 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

ettravel wrote: »
    jesus, what a horrible situation to face

If a hospital can't spare an ICU bed for me I'd much rather fight my fight in a home or a hospice, presumably they have no problem getting oxygen treatment to people? So the same treatment as a hospital, if not more treatment, but probably with more care and in a familiar setting with familiar staff. Also they are staying melotonin might help, who knows, but you ever try to sleep in a hospital? https://www.news-medical.net/news/20201203/Can-melatonin-help-prevent-severe-COVID-19.aspx

It's really horrible that this is out there now, that we are at the point where we won't have enough ICU beds for everyone even though we had a year to prepare

jojofizzio wrote: »
    That’s limited to just Nursing home/residential units in the health setting AFAIK...also serial testing ongoing in the likes of direct provision centres and “high risk” settings e.g. meat plants

So if its not too intrusive to ask what are these other nursing homes/residential units outside of a health setting?

If a hospital can't spare an ICU bed for me I'd much rather fight my fight in a home or a hospice, presumably they have no problem getting oxygen treatment to people?

It's really horrible that this is out there now, that we are at the point where we won't have enough ICU beds for everyone even though we had a year to prepare

Very few nursing home residents would qualify for.ICU iirc

This has always been the case as they are generally too frail to withstand the rigours of ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

People went nuts

Some of those who tested positive had 30 close.contacts over 2 days

And somehow people still try to say that its not an individuals fault.

• Advertisement

I dont work in a nursing home. Thats what I just said - it depends what healthcare sector you work in.

Yes 1 test for all staff and service users since the beginning and 1 upcoming

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement