Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

lukas8888 wrote: »
    As of today there are 20,000 covid patients in hospital in England and they are coping if only just,considering Englands population is 11 times ours and we have 350 covid patients in our hospitals and NPHET are getting very worried, it is a national disgrace if we are not able to cope with many multiples of that number.

Why would we want to deal 1000s of COVID hospitalisations?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

niallo27 wrote: »
    Prepared or not, it won't be happening on a large scale. People are sick of it, people need to get that into their heads.

Everyone’s sick of it, but policy won’t be made based on that. No government anywhere (well maybe the US & UK) will just say “you know what, feck it, everyone is fed up with this oul virus craic, we’ll stop with the public health advice”
    People are largely still with this government from what I can see and want to do what it takes to end this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Coronavirus Cases:86,894
    Deaths:2,205
    Recovered:23,364

Can someone explain above - 63k of the 86k that ever had covid have it NOW? Or am I reading it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Crazy that we know whats coming, yet all non essential businesses are open as normal. The new strain is here, and action needs to be took, but it was '' close the empty ghost town pubs'' as a response. We need a 3 week stay at home order, zero businesses allow to open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

alentejo wrote: »
    Got f$)k, January looks grim

What?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't think retail will close, the reduction in numbers didn't justify it, the Christmas rush is over so it'll be quite anyway and it dumps far too many onto the PUP again.

Coronavirus Cases:86,894
    Deaths:2,205
    Recovered:23,364

Can someone explain above - 63k of the 86k that ever had covid have it NOW? Or am I reading it wrong?

Your mistake is using worldometers as a source of data. We don’t, and never have, reported recoveries. Whoever updates the numbers on worldometers for Ireland tried to infer based on other sources, but this was never accurate and hasn’t been updated in 6 months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

El Sueño wrote: »
    I love the gym but I don't see how they could be kept open if non essential retail was to close

They won`t be. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Your mistake is using worldometers as a source of data. We don’t, and never have, reported recoveries. Whoever updates the numbers on worldometers for Ireland tried to infer based on other sources, but this was never accurate and hasn’t been updated in 6 months

Is right. I remember Ronan Glynn saying at one of the Press Conferences that the best formula to calculate “recovered” is (Total No of Cases) - (Total No. of Deaths) - (No. of new infections in previous 14 days). Of course that’s a very rough estimate and doesn’t factor in “long covid” at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

Crazy that we know whats coming, yet all non essential businesses are open as normal. The new strain is here, and action needs to be took, but it was '' close the empty ghost town pubs'' as a response. We need a 3 week stay at home order, zero businesses allow to open.

Empty?? They definitely wernt. The pubs havent opened since sept so were empty but restaurants & gastro pubs were not empty.

Not all non essential are open either. They are all closed except for retail and gyms. The Govt no whats coming which is why some L5 restrictions are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

You're still working I take it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

embraer170 wrote: »
    Is there evidence that many or most of those hospitalised are from nursing homes? I seem to remember discussions here that not a whole lot of those getting sick in nursing homes make it into hospital.

Nursing homes are tested every 2 weeks, they've tightened their act up, unlikely they make up many of the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Why would we want to deal 1000s of COVID hospitalisations?

It seems you have completely missed my point, i was merely using the hospital numbers in England with our health authorities starting to worry when our numbers are so tiny in comparison.Nobody wants thousands of cases but starting to panic with 350 seems premature.Even if as seems likely we pass our April high we should be able to cope easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

It seems you have completely missed my point, i was merely using the hospital numbers in England with our health authorities starting to worry when our numbers are so tiny in comparison.Nobody wants thousands of cases but starting to panic with 350 seems premature.Even if as seems likely we pass our April high we should be able to cope easily.

It is precisely this kind of cautiousness that has helped steer us away from the situations that the UK has experienced. Exponential growth doesn't seem to be something that people understand that well and how quickly things can escalate and how much you are always teetering on the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

HSE operations report 28/12 as of 8pm

Covid cases hospitalised 385 - increase from 297 on 26/12
    (No report published on 27/12)

ICU confirmed Covid cases 30 increase from 23 on 26/12
    1 death in ICUs last 24 hours
    Confirmed Covid cases ventilated 16 - increase from 11 on 26/12
    Available ICU beds 55

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Russman wrote: »
    Everyone’s sick of it, but policy won’t be made based on that. No government anywhere (well maybe the US & UK) will just say “you know what, feck it, everyone is fed up with this oul virus craic, we’ll stop with the public health advice”
    People are largely still with this government from what I can see and want to do what it takes to end this thing.

It should be taken into account though, taking away most of people's social outlets will just drive them to find them elsewhere where they are unregulated. People screaming how they are such bad people and why can't they stay at home won't change this.

It is precisely this kind of cautiousness that has helped steer us away from the situations that the UK has experienced. Exponential growth doesn't seem to be something that people understand that well and how quickly things can escalate and how much you are always teetering on the edge.

You have completely missed the posters point as well.

It should be taken into account though, taking away most of people's social outlets will just drive them to find them elsewhere where they are unregulated. People screaming how they are such bad people and why can't they stay at home won't change this.

No, it shouldn't taken into account at all and this post is complete nonsense.

You have completely missed the posters point as well.

Why don't you explain it to me and I can understand it a little better?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

rob316 wrote: »
    Don't think retail will close, the reduction in numbers didn't justify it, the Christmas rush is over so it'll be quite anyway and it dumps far too many onto the PUP again.

Precisely! If we’re looking at a couple of months of the current level of restrictions then the cost of 40,000 additional PUP recipients needs to be given serious consideration against the likelihood of transmission in a retail environment which I assume has been deemed to be relatively low.

• Advertisement

Our numbers are tiny due to our authorities panicking.

I would hate to see what would happen if the Government took the “ Sure tis grand” approach.

Our numbers are tiny due to our authorities panicking.

I would hate to see what would happen if the Government took the “ Sure tis grand” approach.

You seemed to have missed the point as well. Nial is going to explain how soon I think.

No, it shouldn't taken into account at all and this post is complete nonsense.

That's your opinion fair enough. Look around you, do people still look as worried as last March.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You don't wait until your hospital system is groaning under the weight before you take action. And this 350 is only the start of it.

Why is this so hard for some people to grasp?

The posters point, well what I'm taking from it is how badly run our health system has been in the last few decades that even a fraction of the hospital numbers of other countries has our capacity stretched. Nobody mentioned how good or bad the government is doing regarding restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Arghus wrote: »
    You don't wait until your hospital system is groaning under the weight before you take action. And this 350 is only the start of it.

Why is this so hard for some people to grasp?

Makes me think of

CfQ07-_UYAEe5m2.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The average length of stay of virus patients in hospital is 17.7 days, and for those who require an intensive care stay, 34.7 days.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-outbreaks-in-three-hospitals-severely-curtail-services-1.4407667%3fmode=amp

Yeah I don't see that in the figures.
    Since the start the average daily number in hospital with Covid (excluding in ICU) was 198 patients a day. That's span over 297 days. 5027 have been hospitalized (excluding ICU).
    So (198*297)/5027=11.7 days average stay.
    My math can be totally wrong though.

That's your opinion fair enough. Look around you, do people still look as worried as last March.

If you removed you blinkers you would see most offices are closed down, most working from home, nearly everyone is shops wearing masks, sanitizer running through their blood.

People are less worried then before due to becoming accustomed to taking precautions and understanding restrictions are in place to limit contagion.

What do you see in niallo27 world?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Says who Jackieboy?
    You clearly cannot interact in a civil manner, and are now threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

majcos wrote: »
    HSE operations report 28/12 as of 8pm

Covid cases hospitalised 385 - increase from 297 on 26/12
    (No report published on 27/12)

ICU confirmed Covid cases 30 increase from 23 on 26/12
    1 death in ICUs last 24 hours
    Confirmed Covid cases ventilated 16 - increase from 11 on 26/12
    Available ICU beds 55

This looks really bad.

Can you shed any light on our current and potential capacity?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement