Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Random sample

klose wrote: »
    Are people panix buying again or is there a stock issue with brexit or covid? Local tesco is wiped out.

My lidl was the same this evening. No bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Whats the point in adding the backlog cases to the daily figures, it proves nothing and distorts the figures and demoralises people who can't understand it when things could actually be starting to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

They are not appropriate for mass testing.

They are best used in clinical situations where a patient has to be triaged or treated urgently and waiting for a pcr result may effect patient care or pcr testing isn't available.

These tests require the patient to have a high viral load at the time of the test to likely be detected.

There seems to be a fair amount of material on the web suggesting (and I'm paraphrasing as I haven't a clue myself) that they are appropriate for mass testing on the premise that the PCR tests are catching more of the low viral load cases (including non viable virus fragments) , but where viral load is low the chances of disease transmission from them are low - so maybe not as important.

Whereas, the antigen picks up, as you say, only the high viral loads, and maybe that is a better, more efficient test?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Are people panix buying again or is there a stock issue with brexit or covid? Local tesco is wiped out.

Know a few who are bulk buying to avoid going out for next 2weeks.

Food to beat the band.

Shops full to the brim anywhere I have gone.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    It'll be all over by 2023, one way or another.

Between vaccinated and those who have had it, there will be herd immunity this year.

Some poor bugger might get it in 2022 but that's like being shot on the last day of ww2, ironically one of them was an Irish man.

Ahh well that's grand so. I thought it was going to go on for a good while longer, but if it's only 2023 we can hardly complain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Local Aldi empty tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

niallo27 wrote: »
    Whats the point in adding the backlog cases to the daily figures, it proves nothing and distorts the figures and demoralises people who can't understand it when things could actually be starting to turn.
    Heaven forbid people know how bad things are... Let's pretend everything's fine.

Danzy wrote: »
    Know a few who are bulk buying to avoid going out for next 2weeks.

Food to beat the band.

Couldn't they just order online if they are that scared? If they are going out shopping in bulk, they are probably spending longer in the supermarket and increasing their chances of contracting Covid, compared to a quick weekly visit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ahh well that's grand so. I thought it was going to go on for a good while longer, but if it's only 2023 we can hardly complain :pac:

Lol. I think it will be over by mid Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Only a few weeks ago, many on here claimed the UK were making this up and nothing to worry about. UK variant already becoming an issue worldwide. I did say at the the time it would be better to overreact. I wish we did.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1346553026371325952

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Peru has the highest excess deaths on earth(over 100,000 in a country of 33 million) with a really young population and only 30-40% of the population are thought to have been infected.

If anyone thinks 30% of irish people had it with 2,000 deaths they're codding themselvesss

We might dissent on this thread, the lot of us, but I think we can all agree covid is a bastard of a yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Is it not a good thing to be picking up people with high viral loads who would not otherwise be tested?

For detecting one person with a high viral load, you'd probably miss three times as many with a low viral load who are just as capable of spreading the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Couldn't they just order online if they are that scared? If they are going out shopping in bulk, they are probably spending longer in the supermarket and increasing their chances of contracting Covid, compared to a quick weekly visit :pac:

The type of muppets who went out buying up all the toilet paper earlier in the year. It could come out on the news that there'll be a shortage in cucumbers and they'd be killing each other in the fruit and veg isle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I went to order online today and the first slot is almost a week away . Luckily i am stocked up until then

Ficheall wrote: »
    Heaven forbid people know how bad things are... Let's pretend everything's fine.

It's not a true reflection of the current trend. If we have 5k today, 4k tomorrow then 3.5k then bang 8k what does that do to people. They might give up and think nothing we are doing is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Probes wrote: »
    It's 1 in 30 in London.

Is there panic on the streets?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

what other restrictions on retail? Dont touch the beer

Is there panic on the streets?

No most people are calm from what I heard, unlike here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

My local M&S had lots of empty shelves but had stickers up saying delivery issue. Lidl had everything

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

My understanding is that the antigen test is fantastic for groups and populations but completely useless for an individual because the margin for error is so wide?
    My opinion of the antigen test is that its only useful when you are going to repeat the test regularly.

My opinion the confidence factor from false negatives is a major risk. That is to say that if a person tests negative they may take more risks as they feel that they are safe.

If you test daily (for example in hospitals) then it's only a day til you get the next test so if one is wrong it can be fixed the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Stheno wrote: »

Utterly pointless unless NI bring in in too. I was behind 3 private coaches from NI on Saturday, all travelling down from Belfast to Dublin after an airport pickup.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

wadacrack wrote: »
    Only a few weeks ago, many on here claimed the UK were making this up and nothing to worry about. UK variant already becoming an issue worldwide. I did say at the the time it would be better to overreact. I wish we did.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1346553026371325952

What other restrictions can be added?

Close off the NI border, airports and ports to UK travel in and out

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

pc7 wrote: »
    My local M&S had lots of empty shelves but had stickers up saying delivery issue. Lidl had everything

That’s interesting
    I went to local supermarket yday and assumed it was just them that was low on stock

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

niallo27 wrote: »
    It's not a true reflection of the current trend. If we have 5k today, 4k tomorrow then 3.5k then bang 8k what does that do to people. They might give up and think nothing we are doing is good enough.
    Well, if you think they're idiots, they might leap to that conclusion about a one-day "trend" after a week's restrictions I suppose..

But I suspect the backlog will be cleared at a somewhat stable rate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I read that Sainsbury in Northern Ireland has replaced Sainbury own brand items with Spar brand items due to delivery problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What other restrictions can be added?

Close off the NI border, airports and ports to UK travel in and out

This all should have been done weeks ago. Speed is critical in a fast moving pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

There it is again. The Alcohol spreads Covid19 crowd.
    Show me the science.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Eamon Ryan hints construction will be closed, am announcement is to be made tomorrow.

Poor decision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No more non essential click and collect

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1346552780509638656?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement