Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

pc7 wrote: »
    My local M&S had lots of empty shelves but had stickers up saying delivery issue. Lidl had everything

Brexit issues, nothing to do with Covid. M and S get all their stuff from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Eamon Ryan hints construction will be closed, am announcement is to be made tomorrow.

Poor decision.

Looking forward to the detailed and transparant scientific basis around that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, if you think they're idiots, they might leap to that conclusion about a one-day "trend" after a week's restrictions I suppose..

But I suspect the backlog will be cleared at a somewhat stable rate.

It's not a true reflection though, it makes things out to be a lot worse than they are. What's the point in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

For detecting one person with a high viral load, you'd probably miss three times as many with a low viral load who are just as capable of spreading the virus.

With respect, That's not an answer to the question I asked and comes across as whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

"Govt plans to 'reduce mobility' but 5km limit not on sub-committee agenda"

Slashing tyres?
    Breaking legs?

Only thing that comes to mind is rolling out checkpoints on all major roads/ motorways or instructing curfew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Stheno wrote: »

That’s great news - we’ve been slow to the party on that. Thinking further down the line to this summer, this should help us to enable a viable international tourism season for the peak months at the very least for European travellers assuming the virus is more under control by then with a more significant number vaccinated

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Brexit issues, nothing to do with Covid. M and S get all their stuff from the UK.

Yeah I know, that’s why I said deliver issues and that lidl had everything. Was pointing out was nothing to do with C19 and panic buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Scoondal wrote: »
    There it is again. The Alcohol spreads Covid19 crowd.
    Show me the science.

I could be wrong I think the poster was asking what else they were not advocating it. I am guessing if they did restrict alcohol buying it would be in relation to parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

For detecting one person with a high viral load, you'd probably miss three times as many with a low viral load who are just as capable of spreading the virus.

Re the above, and you're the doctor not me, again there seems not to be complete agreement on your position that "low viral load are just as capable of spreading the virus" no? Not to say that they can't/won't, but aren't there views that suggest it is less likely?

I found bit below on this subject, and maybe I am mis-reading it:

You've recently published on how schools and business should implement testing protocols. In a scenario where one student or worker tests positive, should viral load be taken into account for testing and quarantining of others who were exposed?

A: Ideally in this scenario the infected individual gets two tests and we can assume that the first one was taken as a result of experiencing symptoms. The viral load level of the first test really matters; if this number is high, we could conclude the individual is very contagious and therefore all close contacts should be tested and quarantined.

Alternatively, if the viral load is low at the first test, he or she may be at the tail end of disease and no longer contagious.

In an ideal world we would be screening people regularly and picking up the virus before someone is experiencing symptoms or infectious. That’s really the gold standard in terms of how testing and viral load can be used to prevent new cases, but we are not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

New York State looking to bring in detention in medical facilities for "suspected cases" of covid. New York Assembly Bill A416.
    2. Upon determining by clear and convincing evidence that the health of others is or may be endangered by a case, contact or carrier, or suspected case, contact or carrier of a contagious disease that, in the opinion of the governor, after consultation with the commissioner, may pose an imminent and significant threat to the public health resulting in severe morbidity or high mortality, the governor or his or her delegee, including, but not limited to the commissioner or the heads of local health departments, may order the removal and/or detention of such a person or of a group of such persons by issuing a single order, identifying such persons either by name or by a reasonably specific description of the individuals or group being detained. Such person or group of persons shall be detained in a medical facility or other appropriate facility or premises designated by the governor or his or her delegee and complying with subdivision give of this section.

Detainment for 60 days or 90 days with 90-day rollovers (the latter with judicial approval). What a relief, I feel much safer. The virus loves basic freedoms so it will be particularly angry to hear that people who may not even be infected can be imprisoned indefinitely. Take that, virus!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Utterly pointless unless NI bring in in too. I was behind 3 private coaches from NI on Saturday, all travelling down from Belfast to Dublin after an airport pickup.

It might be something we learn this year.

growleaves wrote: »
    New York State looking to bring in detention in medical facilities for "suspected cases" of covid. New York Assembly Bill A416.

Detainment for 60 days or 90 days with 90-day rollovers (the latter with judicial approval). What a relief, I feel much safer. The virus loves basic freedoms so it will be particularly angry to hear that people who may not even be infected can be imprisoned indefinitely. Take that, virus!

Sounds like it’ll be used for people who test positive and refuse to quarantine - no issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,539 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Sounds like it’ll be used for people who test positive and refuse to quarantine - no issue with that.

Also sounds like its New York not Ireland.

It might be something we learn this year.

The UK are bringing it in later this week, I believe. It’s a first step to viable non-essential travel without quarantine later this year. I’m surprised it wasn’t done from Day 1 but maybe there was a concern that testing capacity was better utilised elsewhere when it was more limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Eamon Ryan hints construction will be closed, am announcement is to be made tomorrow.

Poor decision.

I be guessing and hoping the stop on construction, hospital appointments and closing of school will be until the backlog and situation gets a bit more under control. Will open a lot sooner then everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

It's amazing to me that people still spout this sh!te about "show me the science that x sector causes cases". Remember back in the old days when the GAA demanded to speak to Ronan Glynn.
    People gathering causes cases. Every sector requires some gathering of people. We're currently in a massive spike of cases. We need gatherings big and small to stop as much as is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

pc7 wrote: »
    My local M&S had lots of empty shelves but had stickers up saying delivery issue. Lidl had everything

Heard from a driver there are delays for M&S due to customs paperwork issues. Trucks getting held up getting on the ferry on the UK side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Golfman64 wrote: »
    That’s great news - we’ve been slow to the party on that. Thinking further down the line to this summer, this should help us to enable a viable international tourism season for the peak months at the very least for European travellers assuming the virus is more under control by then with a more significant number vaccinated
    I'd be much happier to travel knowing my fellow passengers were all tested or had evidence of vaccinations. I'm surprised this hasn't been pushed across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Looking forward to the detailed and transparant scientific basis around that decision.

loads of clusters on building sites over the last few months? right thing to do considering all the hospitals will be full in a matter of days, just one building site cluster would be a disaster right now

It's amazing to me that people still spout this sh!te about "show me the science that x sector causes cases". Remember back in the old days when the GAA demanded to speak to Ronan Glynn.
    People gathering causes cases. Every sector requires some gathering of people. We're currently in a massive spike of cases. We need gatherings big and small to stop as much as is possible.

Yes but it will put a large majority of the country out of work, who is going pay for all of it. Who is going pay my mortgage for me.

• Advertisement

prunudo wrote: »
    Heard from a driver there are delays for M&S due to customs paperwork issues. Trucks getting held up getting on the ferry on the UK side.

Yeah RTE printed a thing about M and S shops in Paris

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0105/1187807-marks-spencer-france/

So like RTE to reprint a story from a newspaper abroad rather than figure out what's happening on their own doorstep

They did a thing on Poinsettia saying they were all "imported from the EU" *facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Stheno wrote: »
    Great :)

It mentions the supposed current ban on travel from the UK though - is that actually being enforced?
    Also "required" to restrict their movements seems stronger than "requested" - are they planning to enforce that?

This is great news (albeit a little tardy) if they will enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

the other one is when they test the sewage, you can tell from that what percentage of the pop have it, it's weird we don't do that

Give me 10.000 a day I'll do it.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes but it will put a large majority of the country out of work, who is going pay for all of it. Who is going pay my mortgage for me.

Borrow money from GeorgeBailey!

Ficheall wrote: »
    Great :)

It mentions the supposed current ban on travel from the UK though - is that actually being enforced?
    Also "required" to restrict their movements seems stronger than "requested" - are they planning to enforce that?

This is great news (albeit a little tardy) if they will enforce it.

It's being enforced alright, a friend went over to visit family and is now stuck there, flight after flight cancelled

loads of clusters on building sites over the last few months? right thing to do considering all the hospitals will be full in a matter of days, just one building site cluster would be a disaster right now

Construction was first to open at the first lockdown, numbers continued to go down with it open, it never closed again, numbers rose and decreased when other industries opened and closed. Is it worth putting a few 100 thousand out of work for very minimal affect in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

There seems to be a fair amount of material on the web suggesting (and I'm paraphrasing as I haven't a clue myself) that they are appropriate for mass testing on the premise that the PCR tests are catching more of the low viral load cases (including non viable virus fragments) , but where viral load is low the chances of disease transmission from them are low - so maybe not as important.

Whereas, the antigen picks up, as you say, only the high viral loads, and maybe that is a better, more efficient test?

The result isn't a measure of the viral load in the patient. It is a measure of the viral load on the swab .

A person can still be highly infectious with a low viral load on a swab.
    They are not suitable for mass testing.

That's not just my opinion. That has been reiterated by HIQA when they reviewed the use of rapid tests compared to pcr and in a real life setting like the one performed in Liverpool.

HIQA

While there appears to be increasing interest in the use of RADTs in near-patient settings both for diagnostic and screening purposes, to date these tests have largely been validated in symptomatic individuals. Due to reduced sensitivity associated with RADTs, the WHO suggests that RADTs should only be used when rRT-PCR is unavailable, or where prolonged turnaround times preclude clinical utility.

The WHO currently advises against the use of RADTs in a number of situations, including for the purposes of screening...this is due to the highly uncertain prevalence of disease and unknown predictive value of the test.

Liverpool

The rapid test kits most widely used in UK universities, schools, and care homes detect just 48.89% of covid-19 infections in asymptomatic people when compared with a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test, real world data from the Liverpool pilot have shown.

The Innova Lateral Flow SARS-CoV-2 antigen test failed to detect three in 10 cases with the highest viral loads, in preliminary data released from the field evaluation of testing in asymptomatic people.

Clearly, there is a risk of giving false reassurance to people who get a negative result. You also have to question whether mass screening using a test that performs so poorly is the best use of our limited resources.

Akesh wrote: »
    What I find amazing is that life in China and Wuhan is completely back to normal yet we seem to be getting worse.

Is this an indictment of the people or those charged with governance? I see a lot of people online seem to be blaming the people for not following restrictions but clearly if that was the case we would be in complete lockdown with no foreign travel whatsoever otherwise those in governance are just being negligent. I also note a lot of employers are abusing the 'essential worker' with the trains/buses still full of office workers that could be working from home.

It seems to me that not shutting down the airports and ports for travel has been an awful idea and it's very easy to blame the people for not following the guidelines and hide behind our own incompetence in the Health Service and Government as usual.

To me a lack of governance and the inability to make tough decisions has cost us lives, time and money. In the UK, SAGE have said it's likely they will need another lockdown next winter.

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic but I have absolutely no faith in the management of this virus in Ireland and it looks like we are just following the poor advice from Europe/US who are also completely riddled with the virus.

We'd be fine if we didn't have an open border with "herd-immunity"-kingdom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Saying essential construction only. Watch every construction project become essential...

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Construction was first to open at the first lockdown, numbers continued to go down with it open, it never closed again, numbers rose and decreased when other industries opened and closed. Is it worth putting a few 100 thousand out of work for very minimal affect in numbers.

1. There have been multiple clusters in construction, so we know it's not 100% safe
    2. our hospitals are more full than they have ever been, including in March/April
    3. the new variant is more infections and 25% of our cases (and rising fast) have that new variant
    4. There will be a lot of affect when hospitals are completely full, everyone will be very very upset

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement