Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

It's being enforced alright, a friend went over to visit family and is now stuck there, flight after flight cancelled

Your friend can get back. I suspect is being over dramatic. A call to the embassy will get an Irish resident on a flight or ferry, and both still operating (albeit the flights on reduced schedules)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Originally Posted by Lashes28 View Post
    The care home my grandparents are in called for permission for the vaccine to be administered and also to make a decision that if they were to contract CovID in the home that they would not get treatment for it in hospital. That they would just be made comfortable in the home. Could be a factor in pushing nursing home figures up.

"that if they were to contract CovID in the home that they would not get treatment for it in hospital"

Why would they say that, on what authority are they making that claim on?!?

Blood boiler if true, if my Mam was in a nursing home and I was told that..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Looking forward to the detailed and transparant scientific basis around that decision.

You don't need any further evidence that any situation where people gather is a risk. We're at a point where every possible such situation is being eliminated. Hence, schools and construction closing. They'd close all retail if only we didn't need food and essential supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes but it will put a large majority of the country out of work, who is going pay for all of it. Who is going pay my mortgage for me.
    that will be the least of your problems if we cant get a handle on this thing quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Borrow money from GeorgeBailey!

You're thinking of this all wrong. As if I had the money back in a safe. The money's not here. Your money's in Joe's house...right next to yours. And in the Kennedy house, and Mrs. Macklin's house, and a hundred others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Akesh wrote: »
    What I find amazing is that life in China and Wuhan is completely back to normal yet we seem to be getting worse.

You are the 10,000th person to have said that.

We have no way of knowing what it is going on in China because it is a Communist dictatorship. They could literally be threatening entire hospitals of doctors, nurses and patients with death or concentration camps.

All media is censored, there are no independent universities etc.

There is no point in comparing ourselves to a mirage.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Your friend can get back. I suspect is being over dramatic. A call to the embassy will get an Irish resident on a flight or ferry, and both still operating (albeit the flights on reduced schedules)

They are on a waiting list for a repatriation flight home. Why are you insulting my friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

1. There have been multiple clusters in construction, so we know it's not 100% safe
    2. our hospitals are more full than they have ever been, including in March/April
    3. the new variant is more infections and 25% of our cases (and rising fast) have that new variant
    4. There will be a lot of affect when hospitals are completely full, everyone will be very very upset

Nothing is safe though, there is risk everywhere. Who is going pay for all this though. Too easy for everyone to say shut everything down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Yes but it will put a large majority of the country out of work, who is going pay for all of it. Who is going pay my mortgage for me.

I face the same problem myself. I work in weddings and have had almost no work since March last year. Unfortunately there's a pandemic on and case numbers have rocketed so desperate measures are currently very much needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

With respect, That's not an answer to the question I asked and comes across as whataboutery.

I attached a link to the pilot program done in Liverpool in one of my replies to you.

That showed a significant amount of cases missed by antigen testing, even in those with high viral loads.

Whats the point in missing so many cases and spending so much money for catching a handful of cases. The cost isn't worth the reward. The uk spent 700m + on these tests before the findings of the Liverpool pilot was known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

oceanman wrote: »
    that will be the least of your problems if we cant get a handle on this thing quickly...

Why so. Chances of me getting sick from this are in the thousands.

1. There have been multiple clusters in construction, so we know it's not 100% safe
    2. our hospitals are more full than they have ever been, including in March/April
    3. the new variant is more infections and 25% of our cases (and rising fast) have that new variant
    4. There will be a lot of affect when hospitals are completely full, everyone will be very very upset

I'm on a big site, It's the toilets that would be the main driving source. They are cleaned down yes, but not really, 2 people in an out each min, then the after lunch rush. Everywhere else on site is well sorted thou

Why so. Chances of me getting sick from this are in the thousands.

Hello time traveller from February of last year!

If you get sick, or someone you love gets sick for any reason they will need health care. And once healthcare is over capacity, they won't get it

Already people are having everything but emergency treatment cancelled.

growleaves wrote: »

We have no way of knowing what it is going on in China because it is a Communist dictatorship. They could literally be threatening entire hospitals of doctors, nurses and patients with death or concentration camps.

Word on the street is China was using a "pre treatment" back in March and so on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Nothing is safe though, there is risk everywhere. Who is going pay for all this though. Too easy for everyone to say shut everything down.

It's so sad to see that they done everything they can to keep schools open... We opened up restaurants/pubs in December... Now they're closed and schools are shut.

It's all a huge mess but it seems to be a better option than dare I say it the zero covid approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Agree, plenty of small crews could still work safely. Outdoors or in well ventilated projects, think its a rash decision to close them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The result isn't a measure of the viral load in the patient. It is a measure of the viral load on the swab .

A person can still be highly infectious with a low viral load on a swab.
    They are not suitable for mass testing.

That's not just my opinion. That has been reiterated by HIQA when they reviewed the use of rapid tests compared to pcr and in a real life setting like the one performed in Liverpool.

HIQA

While there appears to be increasing interest in the use of RADTs in near-patient settings both for diagnostic and screening purposes, to date these tests have largely been validated in symptomatic individuals. Due to reduced sensitivity associated with RADTs, the WHO suggests that RADTs should only be used when rRT-PCR is unavailable, or where prolonged turnaround times preclude clinical utility.

The WHO currently advises against the use of RADTs in a number of situations, including for the purposes of screening...this is due to the highly uncertain prevalence of disease and unknown predictive value of the test.

Liverpool

The rapid test kits most widely used in UK universities, schools, and care homes detect just 48.89% of covid-19 infections in asymptomatic people when compared with a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test, real world data from the Liverpool pilot have shown.

The Innova Lateral Flow SARS-CoV-2 antigen test failed to detect three in 10 cases with the highest viral loads, in preliminary data released from the field evaluation of testing in asymptomatic people.

Clearly, there is a risk of giving false reassurance to people who get a negative result. You also have to question whether mass screening using a test that performs so poorly is the best use of our limited resources.

I am not proposing them for mass testing and I am not proposing them as a replacement for PCR but an addition to PCR.
    Surely more testing is good?

So I'll ask again if an Antigen test is picking up cases where they would otherwise not have been tested; is that not a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's fairly ridiculous that we are only putting the test requirement for incoming travellers in place now.

Better late than ever I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Hmm. Construction announcement a bit of a kick in the nethers on a personal level. Will it be from tonight do we know yet?

Steve012 wrote: »
    I'm on a big site, It's the toilets that would be the main driving source. They are cleaned down yes, but not really, 2 people in an out each min, then the after lunch rush. Everywhere else on site is well sorted thou

Low risk is not zero risk.

When the cases were down and the hospitals had space, the risk was acceptable because the possible repercussion was low. A low risk of a massive repercussion is not acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How silly do those Ryanair adverts look now, to "book your Easter holiday now".

That’s simply not true. In any case now testing of close contacts isn’t even happening, not to mind there’s talk of symptomatic people not getting access to tests. You’re basing thousands and thousands of test results on this tiny sample, which was also taken before the end of December if I recall correctly. It’s not accurate.

It is true. Saying it’s not doesn’t change the fact that statistical sampling is valid science

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I guess this means my home office is going to be delayed by another four weeks.

Gonna need a lot more alcohol to get me through the next 25 days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno wrote: »

What does that mean, does that mean until April?

My guess is construction and schools can go back as soon as the hospitals aren't having to turn people away anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

eggy81 wrote: »
    Hmm. Construction announcement a bit of a kick in the nethers on a personal level. Will it be from tonight do we know yet?

But surely its not just the worry about transmission on construction sites, its about limiting the number of people out and about in the community.

These construction workers all have to get to work, possibly sharing cars, stopping off at shops, eating lunch together etc etc.

Its the bigger picture the Gov is obviously focusing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I attached a link to the pilot program done in Liverpool in one of my replies to you.

That showed a significant amount of cases missed by antigen testing, even in those with high viral loads.

Whats the point in missing so many cases and spending so much money for catching a handful of cases. The cost isn't worth the reward. The uk spent 700m + on these tests before the findings of the Liverpool pilot was known.

I'm proposing for Antigen tests to be used in situations and locations where there would normally be no test.

Is catching a handful of cases in situations where there is going to be a lot person to person contact not better than catching no cases?

No testing results in no cases after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

NIMAN wrote: »
    How silly do those Ryanair adverts look now, to "book your Easter holiday now".

Very silly running them in the last few days. If they had any sense they would pull them as they are very annoying right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

growleaves wrote: »

+1

I've a friend of mine who is locked down on campus in a university in China until Chinese New year. She doesn't know if there's cases and if so how many. Its mad, can't find anything in the media about it though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What does that mean, does that mean until April?

My guess is construction and schools can go back as soon as the hospitals aren't having to turn people away anymore

No it means it will be like the first lockdown

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement