Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

py2006 wrote: »
    Apparently in the last couple days there are extra flights into Dublin from Portugal and Spain, with a lot heading up to NI to get connecting flights back into UK.

Noticed on my flight back from Lanzarote there were quite a few Scottish accents. This was on the 28th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

What is essential construction?

What about essential manufacturing?

Ah yeah if keeping construction home why are people still working on conveyor belts for luxury products? that's just as risky as construction surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

seamus wrote: »
    1 in every 160 people in Ireland have an active Covid infection right now.

If we assume that your chance of being "sick" are 20%, then your chances of being sick with Covid right now are about 1 in 800.

I'm in my late 30s and fit so that reduces the risk dramatically. That's a fact, I'm not downplaying it for others but the original poster told me I was in serious trouble if I got it which is not Statistically true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Suggestion that the government will meet with the NI Executive later this week to discuss an all-island coordinated approach to movement of people, was reported on RTE News there. Only took them 10 months!

Yeah didn't take long. Let's hope it's not some willy nilly sh!te like, all travellers must pinky promise to fill out a form and stay home otherwise lockdown number 3 will be undone by those that feel they really need a break to a destination where the latest variant is taking hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Ah yeah if keeping construction home why are people still working on conveyor belts for luxury products? that's just as risky as construction surely?

Not about risk it’s within workplace it’s about limiting as much movement of people as possible therefore reducing the opportunity for spread I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Are creches closed ? If so from what date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I assume NPHET have been meeting via zoom and not travelling unnecessarily?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It could be even riskier than construction. Manufacturing is indoors. Construction is outdoors where apparently it's better being outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I went to order online today and the first slot is almost a week away . Luckily i am stocked up until then

In my area the next available slot I could find was on the 17th, madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

Suggestion that the government will meet with the NI Executive later this week to discuss an all-island coordinated approach to movement of people, was reported on RTE News there. Only took them 10 months!

It sounds like a good idea, but I don't think the NI Excutive is known for their co-operation skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

thelad95 wrote: »
    Colour me ignorant but say an "essential" construction project takes three years to complete, does a month off make a jot of a difference in the long term?

We all know what is truly essential in society, car washes and someone building a patio extension certainly are not.

Grocery stores, petrol stations and pharmacies are truly essential. I'd argue nearly everything outside that can operate as an emergency service (mechanics, plumbers etc). Prove me wrong.

If it's a month I'd be very surprised. Hope I'm wrong but 3 weeks isnt going to do much for figs. The damage has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I'm proposing for Antigen tests to be used in situations and locations where there would normally be no test.

Is catching a handful of cases in situations where there is going to be a lot person to person contact not better than catching no cases?

No testing results in no cases after all.

In short no, I don't believe the benefits outweigh the costs.
    They're just not fit for the purpose people want them to be.

I can see why some may think doing something is better than nothing, but tests ultimately dont stop the spread of the virus.

Masks, hand hygiene, social distancing stop the spread.

The exit strategy to prevent hospitalizations, deaths and restrictions is the vaccine.

Are creches closed ? If so from what date ?
    No, ECCE closed for the rest of the month, other services allowed to continue for essential workers.

So full day care allowed in a creche but same child cant go to school it seems. Bizarre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Travel around Europe is possible right now. Plenty in Spain especially those with houses or apartments. It will likely be equally or even more possible so to speak come Easter especially given the importance of tourism to many EU economies. Difference vs last year will be the pre departure Covid test.

Yeah right......

https://twitter.com/wokeotter/status/1344237244354326529?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Yeah didn't take long. Let's hope it's not some willy nilly sh!te like, all travellers must pinky promise to fill out a form and stay home otherwise lockdown number 3 will be undone by those that feel they really need a break to a destination where the latest variant is taking hold.

I think it's just going to be a negative test before arrival. Something nphet having been requesting since the summer. Something that would have made a huge difference at christmas with 30000 flying back from one of the highest infected regions in the world.

Another monumental **** up by the myopic gob****es in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Polar101 wrote: »
    It sounds like a good idea, but I don't think the NI Excutive is known for their co-operation skills.

If we promise them an all-paid big ****-off parade on island at the end of all this with sashes galore, maybe that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

thelad95 wrote: »
    Colour me ignorant but say an "essential" construction project takes three years to complete, does a month off make a jot of a difference in the long term?

We all know what is truly essential in society, car washes and someone building a patio extension certainly are not.

Grocery stores, petrol stations and pharmacies are truly essential. I'd argue nearly everything outside that can operate as an emergency service (mechanics, plumbers etc). Prove me wrong.

For state projects, the taxpayer will be paying the wages of lads sitting at home plus additional prelims to the contractor. Then you have whatever costs arise from not having the facility. For large projects (€X00,000) these costs are going to be enormous. I think the likes of the NCH should be allowed to continue, plus large civils projects where most work is being done by lads sitting in their own machine. The savings would probably be in the millions, its not like we don't have need for the money right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

seamus wrote: »
    1 in every 160 people in Ireland have an active Covid infection right now.

If we assume that your chance of being "sick" are 20%, then your chances of being sick with Covid right now are about 1 in 800.
    Seamus ,His odds of getting sick are more like 10% pushing his chance of

getting sick with covid to 1 in 1600.

Any bookmaker would lay that bet all year long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

No, ECCE closed for the rest of the month, other services allowed to continue for essential workers.

So full day care allowed in a creche but same child cant go to school it seems. Bizarre!

That's good for me . However how will the creches get the staff if their own kids can't go into school I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

It could be even riskier than construction. Manufacturing is indoors. Construction is outdoors where apparently it's better being outdoors.

Construction is highly regulated and has better PPE than our healthcare workers. I have serious issues with closing construction down given the levels of health and safety adherence required and the fact that it is predominantly outdoors, also the amount of money it generates and will cost the country, absolutely short sighted and stupid to shut it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

If a hospital can't spare an ICU bed for me I'd much rather fight my fight in a home or a hospice, presumably they have no problem getting oxygen treatment to people? So the same treatment as a hospital, if not more treatment, but probably with more care and in a familiar setting with familiar staff. Also they are staying melotonin might help, who knows, but you ever try to sleep in a hospital? https://www.news-medical.net/news/20201203/Can-melatonin-help-prevent-severe-COVID-19.aspx

It's really horrible that this is out there now, that we are at the point where we won't have enough ICU beds for everyone even though we had a year to prepare

Do we know that they are administering oxygen to people infected with (dying of) COVID in nursing homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Probes wrote: »
    It's 1 in 30 in London.
    Is there panic on the streets?
    niallo27 wrote: »
    No most people are calm from what I heard, unlike here.

I wonder to myself
    could life ever be sane again?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

They are on a waiting list for a repatriation flight home. Why are you insulting my friend?

If that indeed is the case the apologies. It’s just my wife came home from London a couple of days ago. 1 call and on a flight that evening

And there is pretty much unlimited passenger repatriation room on ferries given that they are so empty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

There should be no excuse for not rolling out 50000 vaccines a week starting next monday.
    If they havent got them then it's high time the did.
    Enough of this fcuking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I wonder to myself
    could life ever be sane again?

Any idea what things are like in Birmingham? Or Carlisle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

screamer wrote: »
    Construction is highly regulated and has better PPE than our healthcare workers. I have serious issues with closing construction down given the levels of health and safety adherence required and the fact that it is predominantly outdoors, also the amount of money it generates and will cost the country, absolutely short sighted and stupid to shut it down.

What I find confusing is every workplace is risky at the moment. Why concentrate on construction? From what I remember, there was huge outbreaks in meat factories last summer, it wasn't construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Theyre should be no excuse for not rolling out 50000 vaccines a week starting next monday.

How do you suggest they go about demanding these extra vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Theyre should be no excuse for not rolling out 50000 vaccines a week starting next monday.

How can they roll out more vaccines than they can physically get currently from Pfizer? If Pfizer had the capacity to make more vaccines currently we would be getting them.

What happens if people start refusing the vaccine, reports today from the US that take up is only one third of vaccines with lots of health workers refusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

So you think we will be fully locked down with no international flights in April?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement