Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

What I find confusing is every workplace is risky at the moment. Why concentrate on construction? From what I remember, there was huge outbreaks in meat factories last summer, it wasn't construction.

Lots of workersfrom the North I think.

You thing that there won’t be travel, with negative tests, around Easter? I absolutely think there will. Expensive, sure, with a test out and a test back and, depending on rules in some places, a test upon arrival. But I will be looking at going somewhere for sure.

You can even now. The balkans are open for business, with a negative test. Serbia is a wonderful country (albeit chilly this time of year)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Theyre should be no excuse for not rolling out 50000 vaccines a week starting next monday.
    If they havent got them then it's high time the did.
    Enough of this fcuking about.

EU funked up royally in ordering enough vaccines, so much so that last week Germany went on a solo run to order 30 million extra doses for themselves, which Italy took huge issue with as the EU had decided to buy as a block and yet here goes Germany on a solo run to improve their own position. Anyways, with 4 to 5k a day testing positive and many more than that infected, the virus will do the job the government seems unable to get their head around. It’ll spread out infecting thousands, killing the weaker and conferring immunity on those who recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Any idea what things are like in Birmingham? Or Carlisle?

Panic there too.

We're going to need to burn down the discos.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

When we hear that 40k vaccines have been delivered, is that 80k doses or just 40k which would be 20k people vaccinated?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Lots of workersfrom the North I think.

The virus is rampant on the island. It doesn't matter where people come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

screamer wrote: »
    EU funked up royally in ordering enough vaccines, so much so that last week Germany went on a solo run to order 30 million extra doses for themselves, which Italy took huge issue with as the EU had decided to buy as a block and yet here goes Germany on a solo run to improve their own position. Anyways, with 4 to 5k a day testing positive and many more than that infected, the virus will do the job the government seems unable to get their head around. It’ll spread out infecting thousands, killing the weaker and conferring immunity on those who recover.

Germany won't get the doses until after the EU inital orders have been completed later in 2021, September or October. They aren't exactly getting any advantage right now.

Pfizer have said it themselves the order books are fairly full, any orders now won't be fulfilled for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Construction is highly regulated and has better PPE than our healthcare workers. I have serious issues with closing construction down given the levels of health and safety adherence required and the fact that it is predominantly outdoors, also the amount of money it generates and will cost the country, absolutely short sighted and stupid to shut it down.

Our first day back on site today in order to gain access we had to first agree to having a COVID test on site set up by the main contractor at, I assume enormous expense them. We had to agree to wear these new badges that send a ping to a server every time we move within 2 meters of another employee.
    Some new system that works through Bluetooth. 1 step before microchip I suppose.
    Gloves glasses mask at all times. Canteens spread out at 2 meters. Breaks staggered to allow for social distancing. Single file walking at all times 2 mtrs apart.
    Regular drone flyovers of walkways. 3 strike and you’re out system with the social distancing. Tbh the restrictions were massive overkill anyway given the size of the place relative to occupancy. They even created a full time night shift to split the workforce meaning giving half the workers four day weeks and time and a 3rd for every hour worked. Couldn’t have done much more I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭angelic123

What is essential construction?

What about essential manufacturing?

Seemingly social housing and major projects. A complete kick in the teeth for us as we’re waiting on our house to be completed in a new estate and about 2 weeks off closing & haven’t been able to secure a rental for the last 6 months so have had to move between family 3 times over this time. Slept on floors etc. which has been extremely unsettling on our children.

What I find confusing is every workplace is risky at the moment. Why concentrate on construction? From what I remember, there was huge outbreaks in meat factories last summer, it wasn't construction.

I think it’s more to appease the lefty political parties than anything. Sure disgraceful that lads working their nuts off in the cold in very physical work should be paid so well when so many are on PUP. Construction is not a hotbed for transmission, and you want to see the hoops they’ve to jump through. Even today we were told the large sites were implementing weekly testing for all on site crews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Low risk is not zero risk.

When the cases were down and the hospitals had space, the risk was acceptable because the possible repercussion was low. A low risk of a massive repercussion is not acceptable.

There is no zero risk areas in any area of work though is there? Except being able to work from home.

I need a plumber for 2 things needing done, yes I know him for years but.. need a new immersion, and jacks leaking.

I don't mind site shut down, back to pup like many thousands since November

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

niallo27 wrote: »
    You haven't a ****en clue do you.

Threadbanned again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

eggy81 wrote: »
    Our first day back on site today in order to gain access we had to first agree to having a COVID test on site set up by the main contractor at, I assume enormous expense them. We had to agree to wear these new badges that send a ping to a server every time we move within 2 meters of another employee.
    Some new system that works through Bluetooth. 1 step before microchip I suppose.
    Gloves glasses mask at all times. Canteens spread out at 2 meters. Breaks staggered to allow for social distancing. Single file walking at all times 2 mtrs apart.
    Regular drone flyovers of walkways. 3 strike and you’re out system with the social distancing. Tbh the restrictions were massive overkill anyway given the size of the place relative to occupancy. They even created a full time night shift to split the workforce meaning giving half the workers four day weeks and time and a 3rd for every hour worked. Couldn’t have done much more I think.

What on earth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

At first I thought the variant might have been a bit exaggerated but the places where it is transmitting locally are California, South Africa UK obviously and here, and these places are expereincing the most rapidly deteriorating outbreaks in the world, seems like really bad news and worse than what USA or UK ever saw last April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Golfman64 wrote: »
    So you think we will be fully locked down with no international flights in April?
    You thing that there won’t be travel, with negative tests, around Easter? I absolutely think there will. Expensive, sure, with a test out and a test back and, depending on rules in some places, a test upon arrival. But I will be looking at going somewhere for sure.

You can even now. The balkans are open for business, with a negative test. Serbia is a wonderful country (albeit chilly this time of year)

I don't know. What I do know is that an negative PCR within 72 hours before departure won't keep it out and probably lead to another wave. It's a positive step though.

If they are bringing it in now does it mean we should have brought it in sooner?

Good for you going somewhere. Hopefully numbers will be low. Sounds nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    How can they roll out more vaccines than they can physically get currently from Pfizer? If Pfizer had the capacity to make more vaccines currently we would be getting them.

My understanding is the Moderna vaccine will get approval tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Germany won't get the doses until after the EU inital orders have been completed later in 2021, September or October. They aren't exactly getting any advantage right now.

Pfizer have said it themselves the order books are fairly full, any orders now won't be fulfilled for months.

When the **** is still firmly hitting the fan in the summer and the pre orders have run out the sight of the fatherland getting deliveries of vaccines while the rest of Europe is left with none will do serious damage to the illusion of European Union. We should place our own orders now or we'll have a serious gap in supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

tom1ie wrote: »
    When we hear that 40k vaccines have been delivered, is that 80k doses or just 40k which would be 20k people vaccinated?

I think 40k vaccines = 40k doses = 20k people can be vaccinated.

Yep, exactly this. Where is there any other industry so over regulated and monitored, and absolutely bet into compliance? we too were told COVID tests mandatory for all our crews on the large sites. If all these measures can’t stop COVID spreading were all funked anyway

growleaves wrote: »
    What on earth

And we not allowed to share driving to the site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yep, exactly this. Where is there any other industry so over regulated and monitored, and absolutely bet into compliance? we too were told COVID tests mandatory for all our crews on the large sites. If all these measures can’t stop COVID spreading were all funked anyway

Car manufacturing factories have similar measures

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Any extra work going there? I'd be happy to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

touts wrote: »
    When the **** is still firmly hitting the fan in the summer and the pre orders have run out the sight of the fatherland getting deliveries of vaccines while the rest of Europe is left with none will do serious damage to the illusion of European Union. We should place our own orders now or we'll have a serious gap in supply.

Good thing the pre orders are currently being bulked up so. 100m more already on order and looks like another 200-300 million to come according to reports

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Wow. That's a lot in fairness.
    But is it replicated all over the country in every site? Nope.

It's tough as hell, particularly for those who went the extra mile and of course for the workers. However we're in such a serious situation that there's no longer room for much nuance.

Hopefully this phase won't last too long, and they'll begin to allow the safer industries to go back within weeks.
    Hope it all works out for you personally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's kind of annoying seeing people on here upset about losing their job when we had someone yesterday who couldn't get follow up care for their surgery because it's technically not an emergency, and was worried it would mean complications and extra surgery like it did the last time it was delayed.

Those construction projects will still need to get done, your job is sitting waiting for you. Your life isn't in danger. The hospitals being at capacity right now is putting a lot of people's lives in danger, and we need to get those numbers down. You are totaly entitled to feel upset and disappointed and worried about your financial situation, it's awful and it's scary and I'm sorry and I wish it was different and it really is ****ing ****ty but to turn around and say this decision was the wrong one is proper selfish

One more time:

Once the hospitals are completely full, people who get sick in any way for any reason can't get the care they need

Actually that person from yesterday updated his situation he is getting the care he thought was cancelled.
    May I ask what’s your situation that you are in a position to feel that anyone who thinks the present restrictions are wrong is selfish?

Wow. That's a lot in fairness.
    But is it replicated all over the country in every site? Nope.

It's tough as hell, particularly for those who went the extra mile and of course for the workers. However we're in such a serious situation that there's no longer room for much nuance.

Hopefully this phase won't last too long, and they'll begin to allow the safer industries to go back within weeks.
    Hope it all works out for you personally

Tbf I’d imaging only blue chip American multinational companies are going this far. Even nch would be nowhere near I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Construction is highly regulated and has better PPE than our healthcare workers. I have serious issues with closing construction down given the levels of health and safety adherence required and the fact that it is predominantly outdoors, also the amount of money it generates and will cost the country, absolutely short sighted and stupid to shut it down.

Construction is not predominantly outdoors and highly regulated? Maybe that’s how they like you to see it but certainly not.

Any extra work going there? I'd be happy to work there.

I’d say after this lockdown they’ll take all the bodies they can get. Be prepared to walk 20 km a day though😅

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

coastwatch wrote: »
    I think 40k vaccines = 40k doses = 20k people can be vaccinated.

Yeah that’s what I think but I can’t find that confirmed anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

angelic123 wrote: »
    Seemingly social housing and major projects. A complete kick in the teeth for us as we’re waiting on our house to be completed in a new estate and about 2 weeks off closing & haven’t been able to secure a rental for the last 6 months so have had to move between family 3 times over this time. Slept on floors etc. which has been extremely unsettling on our children.

In a similar situation myself. A kick in the teeth indeed when I see the the a local social housing project at a very similar stage to my new build estate that's a few weeks off finishing. It's nice to know the government is happy to get those projects finished off and leave the private buyer high and dry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement