Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

embraer170 wrote: »
    Switzerland kept ski resorts open and is now talking about closing schools.

Yeh its crazy. They showed pictures on the news of ski resorts the other day. Gangs of people crowded into lifts. No wonder the Swiss are seeing some of the worst daily deaths in the world, regularly over 100 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Ah yeah it's so unfair. Close the schools and construction and ffs stop tourism

I couldn't safely see my family but people can go skiing!?

There are loads of people who went away for Christmas. Who are still travelling. And no requirement for them to quarantine as there is no enforcement.

But yeah lets close the rest of the shops that's sure to so it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Is there another thread to talk about NZ's response?

I'm not sure. That's not about NZ response. It's about the contrast in leadership vs lack of leadership.

The UK bringing in border controls is a tacit admission that maybe telling people they have to live in a bubble and not see anyone to suppress a virus while simultaneously allowing anyone in, is perhaps not the best long term approach.

Great to see them and us pivot / U turn on this.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Final call on this thread - Part XXXI is pending

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Yeh its crazy. They showed pictures on the news of ski resorts the other day. Gangs of people crowded into lifts. No wonder the Swiss are seeing some of the worst daily deaths in the world, regularly over 100 a day.

Even more shocking for a country with an advanced and well funded healthcare system.

Some regions not only kept ski resorts open but also the resort restaurants, while shutting restaurants outside the resorts. One of my quotes of the year is the Canton Vaud (administrative region) chief medical officer statement:

"We believe that there is a health benefit in allowing families who ski to be able to have a hot chocolate. We do not want to let a child eat his sandwich in the snow at noon"

(Google translate of: "Nous estimons qu'il y a un intérêt sanitaire à permettre aux familles qui skient de pouvoir prendre un chocolat chaud. Nous ne voulons pas laisser un enfant manger sous la neige son sandwich à midi" https://www.lacote.ch/articles/regions/vaud/vaud-ferme-samedi-soir-ses-restos-sauf-sur-ses-pistes-de-ski-1022414)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭893bet

Hopefully this is the last thread......seem to remember that been said before

��

Do you live outside of Ireland? What relevance does people being able to ski have in Ireland?

I don't see what the issue with skiing is anyway, it's no different to any other type of individual outdoor activity and queues / lifts etc can easily be managed to maintain social distancing.

Aprés ski was almost certainly the source of the infections we imported back in spring.

Doesn't look that way.

130307248_2800299790292503_5824381382108038641_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=7DTFc1-9KrwAX_JOX4K&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&tp=6&oh=df9b9df3e20487921f0469cb8590f5dc&oe=601AC510

https://www.thelocal.ch/20201207/photo-of-a-large-crowd-in-front-of-a-swiss-ski-lift-incites-outrage/amp

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Is a rash a symptom of covid?

Yes. Many different types of rashes have been linked but so many different things can cause a rash. If you have just been diagnosed with Covid and rash is new, timing is suspicious for a link between the two. If not diagnosed but wondering if rash could be Covid, other Covid-associated symptoms would add to suspicion but only way to know for sure is to have a Covid test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

That's us 4 off the number we saw in hospital in April I think

884 but the HSE data is only up to April 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Your understanding is wrong, look at Slovakia. Antigen test is game changer they said, test the majority of the population over a weekend they said... yeah was a failure complete failure. US also used Antigen tests are they are not in great shape either.

Antigen tests are more useful for daily testing or for use in 3rd world countries that don’t have readily access to molecular resources.

Slovakia is becoming a bit of a disaster. Something like 620 deaths in the last week alone, over 20% of their entire deaths with a population slightly larger than Irelands.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/slovakia/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Is there another thread to talk about NZ's response?

There's just this one

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073866

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Time to give up. The Roman Empire are at the city walls. Abandon the city. Leave the weak behind.

Roman empire came to my bro in laws Dad today then.

I prefer to see it that the man went home in peace please God.
    Bless up Derek.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Beasty wrote: »

I'll have 5 pints and a shot. Don't bother with the substantial meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

https://mobile.twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1346264283676602369

Study from UK: decrease in deaths as priority groups vaccinated. Late Feb when top 4 groups vaccinated (care home residents, healthcare workers, over 70s and extremely vulnerable) the lethality of the virus should fall by 90%.

So we can open up at level 2 or 3 in March?

Life or death aren't the only outcomes , many people survive but with serious, life altering after effects

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Slovakia is becoming a bit of a disaster. Something like 620 deaths in the last week alone, over 20% of their entire deaths with a population slightly larger than Irelands.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/slovakia/

Yeah I would say their actual cases are only half that's reported, because they maxed out on molecular and are using antigen tests. 80-100 people dying per day probably real cases number is around 8-10K daily similar to Ireland I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Time to apartheid South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

This thread closed?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This thread closed?

Yes

Theres a new thread :)
    We are all yapping over there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This thread closed?

No it's in lockdown though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

It was nice while it lasted. Hopefully the next one is a little more optimistic. Bon Soir as they say in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

Beasty wrote: »

I'd like to panic buy some whiskey, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes

Theres a new thread :)
    We are all yapping over there

😁😂

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

thelad95 wrote: »
    Colour me ignorant but say an "essential" construction project takes three years to complete, does a month off make a jot of a difference in the long term?

IF only it was that simple. There is an ongoing flood alleviation scheme going through our area at the moment. It was approved at the beginning of 2016, and supposed to be completed the same year.

The last phase though our garden has started in as much as 50% of our garden is inaccessible to use, and has become effectively a construction site, boundary walls have gone, there are fences everywhere to secure the site, and with the present glacial rate of progress, we might see the end of the job in time to be able to have a better Christmas at the end of the year, but if there are more delays due to Covid shut downs, that could add another year to the project, due to all manner of (EU Environment) rules that cause problems.

Things like not being able to remove undergrowth and the like between March and September in case it disturbs nesting birds. Another issue is not distrupting water flow in the channel between certain months to ensure that spawning fish are not disturbed, among other issues.

Our garden trees were destroyed in a frantic panic at the end of February 2018, but NOTHING happened on site then for over 18 months, but they had to take the trees out when they did because they thought they'd be working here that summer, until they found things on another phase that delayed work for over 9 months.

That's just one scheme, it will be at least 6 years being delivered, so that's 5 years longer than was scheduled, and I don't have a clue how much over budget it is, I've heard rumours, and the rumour if true is frightening, it's just a good thing that we're not being expected to pay the bottom line figure.

So yes, some projects will be very adversely affected by even a short shut down, depending on the nature of the project and where they are working.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

reported this post so mods can close before we have 2 ongoing threads!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

https://mobile.twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1346264283676602369

Study from UK: decrease in deaths as priority groups vaccinated. Late Feb when top 4 groups vaccinated (care home residents, healthcare workers, over 70s and extremely vulnerable) the lethality of the virus should fall by 90%.

So we can open up at level 2 or 3 in March?

Maybe, if the virus mutation from S.A isn't as bad as Matt Hancock says they found it to be. If it doesn't mutate yet again and start us all over from square 1. Beginning to get p'd off now. Kept it together fairly well so far until I saw what the UK was saying about vaccines probably not working with the SA strain...

I'm not sure. That's not about NZ response. It's about the contrast in leadership vs lack of leadership.

The UK bringing in border controls is a tacit admission that maybe telling people they have to live in a bubble and not see anyone to suppress a virus while simultaneously allowing anyone in, is perhaps not the best long term approach.

Great to see them and us pivot / U turn on this.

You can still come in, you need a PCR test. Borders aren’t closers. I actually don't think there is anyone, (including those of us who don’t support closing borders, and who have to travel regularly) who ever would have resisted a testing regime being introduced

We’ll never be a New Zealand....there is too much land / ferry based freight and people movement.....but there could have been testing right from the get go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

theguzman wrote: »

"It's alright, I'm a moderator"

1ga2solxhn261.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Beasty said it was final call. This must be the lock in now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement