Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

mike8634 wrote: »
    Yes

Nearly 100,000 have been certified infected, be a boost to businesses to get them in

My opinion anyway

Wont work. People would then have Covid parties to intentionally get infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

210, 150, 240 kg

Snatch 110 kg
    C&J 140 kg

Clean and strict press 100kg

BW 90, 5'10

Elite level stats fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Honestly think age demographics have to be brought in now regarding restrictions

A walk is grand for people like you, fair enough

Schools are safe for kids

Gyms are safe for under 35s

People over 45 should not be should not be in gyms now, let young adults use it

People who have had the virus already shouldnt have any restrictions

Let restaurants etc open for people who had Covid

I think a lot of gyms snd restaurants would prefer to be closed than to open to a portion of customers and hemorrhaging money. For every gym full of 20 year olds theres another full of oap's especially if they have a pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

prunudo wrote: »
    I honestly think if they go down that route they should wait a week before making that decision.
    Figures and numbers are all over the place at present. Nphet always want to go for the hardest of restrictions, yet even back in October after a week it was obvious they jumped too quickly into level 5 lockdown.

The big lesson, from the very start of this horrible year, is to act fast.
    We used to be relatively good at that, but have messed up this time under difficult circumstances.

It looks like we may well have failed to protect our hospitals from being overwhelmed. Now we have to think about saving them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Let us know what your Squat, Bench and Deadlift maxes are.

What's yours btw?

I go to a decent Crossfit style, Olympic weightlifting gym and I am getting old now at 34 for those explosive weightlifting excercises, but see so many talented young adults there

Such a shame seeing adults in early 20s that can do snatches, muscle ups, hand stand walks, 5m rope climbs on a daily basis have no place to excerise

Hate those go for a walk replies

A walk is not a replacement for Kids that can do muscle ups, rope climbs, bodyweight cleans without stopping for a breather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

The big lesson, from the very start of this horrible year, is to act fast.
    We used to be relatively good at that, but have messed up this time under difficult circumstances.

It looks like we may well have failed to protect our hospitals from being overwhelmed. Now we have to think about saving them.

This is critical - quick decision making and test, trace isolate..

HSE has completely failed in the test, trace isolate category and it has a massive impact on the NPHET recommendations although that won’t be admitted..

The problem is that the same people on NPHET that are forced to recommend lockdowns because we can’t test, trace isolate, should have been putting the systems in place to enable that strategy

Look at Australia below -
    Know exactly where the cases are coming from...

If HSE had built the system in March/ April/May then we would have known exactly the source for the small cases we had in the summer..

https://twitter.com/paulglasziou/status/1343727374135791616?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

What's yours btw?

I go to a decent Crossfit style, Olympic weightlifting gym and I am getting old now at 34 for those explosive weightlifting excercises, but see so many talented young adults there

Such a shame seeing adults in early 20s that can do snatches, muscle ups, hand stand walks, 5m rope climbs on a daily basis have no place to excerise

Hate those go for a walk replies

A walk is not a replacement for Kids that can do muscle ups, rope climbs, bodyweight cleans without stopping for a breather

Also some people live in rural areas where it's not safe to run or walk at night. Some women are not comfortable running on their own in the dark.

Exercise is important for people's health.

So just go for a walk or run is not really feasible for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Also some people live in rural areas where it's not safe to run or walk at night. Some women are not comfortable running on their own in the dark.

Exercise is important for people's health.

So just go for a walk or run is not really feasible for some.

Are there gyms in these rural areas? If they can drive to the gym they can drive somewhere suitable to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

409 now in hospital. This seems like rapid growth and would not take into account Christmas period atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

210, 150, 240 kg

Snatch 110 kg
    C&J 140 kg

Clean and strict press 100kg

BW 90, 5'10

Erm what about a 10kg bag of spuds or a bail of briquettes 12.5kg in each hand. Any good for a non gym goer? :D

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    Another post from Twitter that contains assumptions rather than facts.

Its more than just an assumption, its been calculated with data and evidence. No point in waiting until something is factual in a pandemic. Speed is necessary. We are here yet again with a positivity/denial bias. It didn't help before and won't now.

wadacrack wrote: »
    409 now in hospital. This seems like rapid growth and would not take into account Christmas period atm.

This time last year there was more than 409 in hospital corridors with the “flu” and none of us batted an eyelid :rolleyes:

This time last year there was more than 409 in hospital corridors with the “flu” and none of us batted an eyelid :rolleyes:

Covid is far more contagious and serious than the flu. You should know that by now. Beware of misinformation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Elite level stats fair play :)

Took a while ;-)

Think I'll be switching my weightlifting shoes for powerlifting soon enough though

Those weightlifting numbers have stagnated for a while

Really hope they keep gym's open for young people in particular

409 will likely be a fraction of the covid hospitalisations, ffs

How do people still not understand what's going on. Go check out the UK news. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Flu"

Are you now trying deny flu exists or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

It seems higher..but we really need to know how many are in for the day or just overnight for observation, testing and meds versus other more longer stays with pure covid or co morbiditys or contractrated while there. (no blame intended) And what % are the longer stays. Not belittling the number we just need more granularity.
    Maybe spookwoman or someone else here could choose a particular rural main county hospital and a city one and go back 2 weeks with the data?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

409 will likely be a fraction of the covid hospitalisations, ffs

How do people still not understand what's going on. Go check out the UK news. Please.

We are in lockdown! The damage is done. No point losing the plot, what more do you want done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

We are in lockdown! The damage is done. No point losing the plot, what more do you want done?

People to stop moaning :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Just heard this morning two work colleagues have tested positive one with zero symptoms and one is in bad shape struggling.

• Advertisement

I want to be certain that restrictions we apply will work, because we can't afford for them not to. Ideally I'd like a functioning health system so that lots of people don't die unnecessarily.

What do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

prunudo wrote: »
    I honestly think if they go down that route they should wait a week before making that decision.
    Figures and numbers are all over the place at present. Nphet always want to go for the hardest of restrictions, yet even back in October after a week it was obvious they jumped too quickly into level 5 lockdown.

There's already been a new record number of daily cases. Only reason why cases are down is because of Christmas. Don't think we can afford waiting a week when cases now have been infected up to 14 days ago. Makes more sense to have most severe restrictions now and then ease back rather than other way around.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Eod100 wrote: »
    There's already been a new record number of daily cases. Only reason why cases are down is because of Christmas. Don't think we can afford waiting a week when cases now have been infected up to 14 days ago. Makes more sense to have most severe restrictions now and then ease back rather than other way around.

So what do you propose on top of what we have?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Stheno wrote: »

That's not really for me to decide. The article I posted to discussed NPHET recommending full level 5 restrictions and I was responding to the point that it was better to wait a week. I think if they're going to be implemented it should be done sooner rather than waiting imo.

We need stricter restrictions. Don't like saying that and am sick of all this but we could be left in a position where hospitals struggle for staff never mind being overrun which looks inevitable. I don't think people are grasping how bad this is becoming. People seem more concerned with the vaccine and the roll out plan for Ireland is pretty underwhelming to say the least.

Stheno wrote: »

The current plan is to tackle a far worse situation than October with lighter restrictions than we used in October.
    It's a fundamentally stupid plan devised by the people that caused the crisis in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

People couldn’t help themselves for one Xmas.

Now we're gonna be back under the same lockdown as March.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

We need stricter restrictions. Don't like saying that and am sick of all this but we could be left in a position where hospitals struggle for staff never mind being overrun which looks inevitable. I don't think people are grasping how bad this is becoming. People seem more concerned with the vaccine and the roll out plan for Ireland is pretty underwhelming to say the least.

The vaccine is going to be a few weeks too late unfortunately. Personally i think most people do know how bad it may get but are just either in plain denial or just don't care about others.

I've noticed a lot of "im all right Jack because im young and healthy" type posting here so option two seems to be the over riding feeling of many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

More info on the variant. It's defo here 7 samples but it's going to be anywhere where the disease is currently spreading. If there have been 7 found there's likely many many more and it's on it's way to becoming the dominant variant globally.

https://twitter.com/firefoxx66/status/1343859960292249600?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

People couldn’t help themselves for one Xmas.

Now we're gonna be back under the same lockdown as March.

We’re not, don’t spend so much time listening to the regulars here. The schools won’t be closed again for months the other sectors closed in March will not be closed again as the economic hit is too great. Non essential retail is the new “wet pubs”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement