Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Last Person Standing January Quiz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You’ll have to work it out for yourself

As I said it was given as a factor so that’s why I picked 100kg to try and simplify it.

538191.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Barney eliminated twice in 3 days. Surely that is a sign to give up :pac:

1f40b6856f5721e7ed1427e2670aa76d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Two questions,

Are we trying to be closest to the correct answer or closest to the median of everyone's answers like in the Advent Calendar? Because I thought it was median, so I guessed the answer today was about 80 and then knocked 10 off my answer thinking it was a safer median, and now I'm not sure it I'm playing the game right.
    Green&Red wrote: »
    Reberetta gets a bye tomorrow

Second question is for everyone, and I don't know what the correct phrase is, so genuine curiosity here rather than me being pedantic...

Would it not be "gets a buy" (as in buy-in) or "gets a by" (as in gets by/gets through) rather than "gets a bye" which sounds like its a negative thing and Reberetta is getting the boot tomorrow, when its the opposite? If it is actually "gets a bye" would be curious to know the origin of that phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Second question is for everyone, and I don't know what the correct phrase is, so genuine curiosity here rather than me being pedantic...

Would it not be "gets a buy" (as in buy-in) or "gets a by" (as in gets by/gets through) rather than "gets a bye" which sounds like its a negative thing and Reberetta is getting the boot tomorrow, when its the opposite? If it is actually "gets a bye" would be curious to know the origin of that phrase.
    Definitely is a bye, I know that from American Football :p
    Don't know the origin though

It’s closest to the answer

That median was a load of bollix an interesting way to doing things but we’re no longer mad doing that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Weird. Will have to look up where that originated, but if the Yanks are involved its unlikely I'll find an answer, they be woeful with words and phrases... :D

It’s closest to the answer

That median was a load of bollix an interesting way to doing things but we’re no longer mad doing that
    Fair point :D

It absolves you of all responsibility of being right though! Take today, imagine if someone looked on wikipedia and found there were seven different "correct" answers ;)

Fair point :D

It absolves you of all responsibility of being right though! Take today, imagine if someone looked on wikipedia and found there were seven different "correct" answers ;)

Luckily in the small print it says that my answer is the correct answer

Don’t worry, tomorrow there are so many unknowns peoples heads are going to explode

Luckily in the small print it says that my answer is the correct answer

Don’t worry, tomorrow there are so many unknowns peoples heads are going to explode
    J7rFU3ws7uFh.gif

Looking forward to tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Comes from Cricket IIRC, as in a bye resulting from a bad throw, you get a "pass" and a score on board

• Advertisement

Trigger wrote: »
    Comes from Cricket IIRC, as in a bye resulting from a bad throw, you get a "pass" and a score on board
    I thought that was a "by", as in the ball has gone by you... but I just googled it and it is a bye. (I don't know cricket)

Seems like the origin of the word is by though, so the meaning is the same

I thought that was a "by", as in the ball has gone by you... but I just googled it and it is a bye. (I don't know cricket)

Seems like the origin of the word is by though, so the meaning is the same

Let's add an E just cause

'Murica

That... that still doesn't make sense to me...

I googled the question and all the answers relate to sports stuff and it originated in a sports book in the 19th century (probably a typo) and it's all nonsense really...

Its like when the Yanks say "I could care less" and you just want to snack them round the head and scream "COULDN'T! COULD NOT! WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS STUPID AND DOESN'T MEAN WHAT YOU THINK IT MEANS!!!"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I don't know what all the fuss is about this question and the slings and arrows Green&Red has received is totally unwarranted.

As I was the one to deliver the correct answer allow me to enlighten all the simpleton nerds who've never seen a gym in their life how I did it.

Okay I had no idea and I'm a nerd too. I guessed like everyone else.

Let's add an E just cause

'Murica
    Not sure it was their fault :eek:

538196.png

Not sure it was their fault :eek:

*huge image*

Its always their fault!

Its always their fault!
    Ha ha, fair point!

(*huge image* - I post on my phone in the touch site which resizes all pictures. I always forget the normal site doesn't do that for everyone else)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

Never got to login over the last 24 hours missed it sadly.

13128e6efcffda49f8ac4d0d58855c15.gif

13128e6efcffda49f8ac4d0d58855c15.gif
    dean-winchester-you-got-this.gif

• Advertisement

Never got to login over the last 24 hours missed it sadly.

You're still alive, just have to beat 2D today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I have my team ready for todays question

3B0D89C100000578-3999338-image-a-121_1480920755023.jpg

WARNING

There will be spoiler's today

When Dantes escapes from Château d'If he goes to the island of Monte Cristo and retrieves the Abbe's treasure and returns with the smugglers to Leghorn where he sold four of his smallest diamonds, how much, in francs, did he get for each diamond?

Fairly straight forward

I can't tell you the size or any of the C's for the diamond

What I can tell you that in 1835 one franc was worth about €15 and that with the proceeds of these four diamonds Edmond was able to buy a new boat and give the captain enough money to engage in a crew to travel to Marseille.
    Also, a few days later he went to Genoa and bought a yacht but had to exchange more diamonds to pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Is today's question for everyone or just the lads who missed yesterday?

Everyone, even the dead people.

Whoever is furthest away between Jaded and 2D will be eliminated for yesterday and then a second for today

When Dantes escapes from Château d'If he goes to the island of Monte Cristo and retrieves the Abbe's treasure and returns with the smugglers to Leghorn where he sold four of his smallest diamonds, how much, in francs, did he get for each diamond?
    tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Weird...Amazon has just sent me an email recommending this book.

I've read it years ago...highly recommended.

None of the above helps me in formulating my answer though.

tenor.gif

I hear you.

Its a miracle!

I hear you.

Its a miracle!
    Sent my answer in. Like a Peter Ebdon safety shot, it was just about trying to stay alive, not attempt to win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Fairly straight forward

I'm not sure about this bit :D

Advertisement