Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Last Person Standing January Quiz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Looks like I am along in my love for the book! I have read it twice - once when it was released, and re-read it before watching the tv series.
    For me, the book really highlights what we can lose by not expressing ourselves properly, and the misunderstood conversations and interactions brought me back to relationships in my 20s. I wish I was able to read it when I was younger! I got a lot more out of the book than the TV series - how and what Connell is feeling comes across a lot better in the book, and we lose that introspective for the TV series that gives a lot more meaning to their interactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

I only saw the first episode, and didn't even know it was based on a book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I only saw the first episode, and didn't even know it was based on a book

Sally Rooney, the author of the book Normal People, has been mentioned a lot in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Sally Rooney, the author of the book Normal People, has been mentioned a lot in the media.
    So's her son, Wayne. He's an author too

So's her son, Wayne. He's an author too

:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I will never understand why Normal People is so popular it looks dreadful, would be a chore to watch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Neowise

Is that the wife of the footballer who will only play in blue?

Neowise wrote: »
    Is that the wife of the footballer who will only play in blue?

I know you are being facetious but that is actually her own name...and I have not heard that they are related!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

cee_jay wrote: »
    Looks like I am along in my love for the book! I have read it twice - once when it was released, and re-read it before watching the tv series.
    For me, the book really highlights what we can lose by not expressing ourselves properly, and the misunderstood conversations and interactions brought me back to relationships in my 20s. I wish I was able to read it when I was younger! I got a lot more out of the book than the TV series - how and what Connell is feeling comes across a lot better in the book, and we lose that introspective for the TV series that gives a lot more meaning to their interactions.

Interactions, interesting - over what sort time frame, if I were to see the book in the charity shop?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Purgative wrote: »
    Interactions, interesting - over what sort time frame, if I were to see the book in the charity shop?;)

Well as EN already alluded to, they are Normal People in unusual circumstances, moving through time and space, so the book spans centuries, which sounds interesting, but really it's just poorly written sci-fi.

The challenge here is figuring out how many centuries and translating that into months.

• Advertisement

Well as EN already alluded to, they are Normal People in unusual circumstances, moving through time and space, so the book spans centuries, which sounds interesting, but really it's just poorly written sci-fi.

The challenge here is figuring out how many centuries and translating that into months.

I've read the book - it doesn't span centuries! Nor does it move through space!

That sounds more like the new book by John Boyne : A Traveller at The Gates of Wisdom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've read the book - it doesn't span centuries nor does it move through space!

That sounds more like the new book by John Boyne : A Traveller at The Gates of Wisdom!

You're obviously thinking of a different book, pal.

Normal People takes place across centuries, everyone knows that.

giphy.gif

I've read the book - it doesn't span centuries nor does it move through space!
    Space and time are relative, and terms like span and move are arbitrary. The stories may take place across millenia, in different galaxies, but really they all take place at the same time, in our hearts, that's the message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

That's what she tried to do. But didn't cause bleugh. I thought the subtleties of looks and interactions just wasn't described well at all in the book. And then she said and then he did and then she said....snooze.

Some of us doing our best to mess with our competitor's heads, but Declan be like...

giphy.gif

:pac: :pac: :pac:

C'mon man, this isn't a game of honour and virtue, lies and deception is where some of us shine...

giphy.gif

:D
    Seriously though Declan, well played, I think some people now actually believe it doesn't span centuries and will give ridiculously low answers today... This making them think the truth is one big lie tactic was a good plan, and we should never have doubted you, because no one would ever suspect you of being the deceitful one... Truly inspired...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Clarabel wrote: »
    Is it googling if I refer to the book on my bed side table!?!!!?

Not if it's the Bible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I read the book because I worked a few days on the TV series and both were absolute sh*te.

What did you do on the show?
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Haven't a scooby doo, all I heard about the show was there was a load of riding in it and I still didn't watch it!

That says more about you in fairness
    Sawduck wrote: »
    I will never understand why Normal People is so popular it looks dreadful, would be a chore to watch it

What a peculiar take, maybe if you read or watched it you might get why it was popular? Or at least be able to say with certainty it was sh!te

I really liked both the book and series, thought the series captured the awkwardness that the characters in the book had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anyway 27 people in so far today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Green&Red wrote: »
    Anyway 27 people in so far today

Anseo

Green&Red wrote: »
    What did you do on the show?

Was just there as a background extra on that one for a few days (around Trinity and Dublin City). Have worked in TV a lot, everything from writer to post-production editing to producing news segments, but doing a bit of extra work on the right production can be good craic, so do that when the opportunity arises, and one of the days on Normal People was great fun, which is probably why I was disappointed with the book so much and only made it an episode into the TV Show because I hated the book so much and the first episode felt like a chore to watch.

• Advertisement

Was just there as a background extra on that one for a few days (around Trinity and Dublin City)
    You, of all people, must have a gif with you in the background! :D

Also, very disappointed you didn't say you were Paul Mescal's bum double!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

That was me!

Tbh it was a pain in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Ah, so that explains the "Also Starring" :pac:

I don't know if any of the scenes I filmed even made it to air, because I didn't watch the whole thing. I also remember strategically keeping my back to the camera a lot on that production so I wouldn't have to mime conversations, but mostly so that I could pull faces at those whose mugs were on camera in an attempt to distract them. I can be a bit of a messer on set whenever I feel I can get away with it. :D

I also didn't say I wasn't. ;)

I have never read it nor watched it. Doesn't appeal to me at all but I'd probably love it, if I gave it a chance tbf. I'm basing my answer off nothing but adverts for it.

Ah, so that explains the "Also Starring" :pac:

Nah the Also Starring refers to two things...

1. How LeVar's title card appears on the opening credits of Star Trek: The Next Generation... (skip to 1.10 on the video)

2. I once pitched a reality comedy show to the actual LeVar Burton where he would accompany me on adventures where I crossed things off a bucket list, and the show would've been called Also Starring LeVar Burton. He really liked the idea, but nothing ever came of it in the end obviously... but it was about that time (in or around 2010/2011) I changed my boards username when they appointed me a Mod of the Television Forum, and Also Starring LeVar Burton suited being a Mod better than my original username... CaptainNegative

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Nah the Also Starring refers to two things...

1. How LeVar's title card appears on the opening credits of Star Trek: The Next Generation... (skip to 1.10 on the video)

2. I once pitched a reality comedy show to the actual LeVar Burton where he would accompany me on adventures where I crossed things off a bucket list, and the show would've been called Also Starring LeVar Burton. He really liked the idea, but nothing ever came of it in the end obviously... but it was about that time (in or around 2010/2011) I changed my boards username when they appointed me a Mod of the Television Forum, and Also Starring LeVar Burton suited being a Mod better than my original username... CaptainNegative

Are you Troy Barnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The kids who didn't answer yesterday, can they ebter again today or are they dismissed for good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I just looked it up on google* and I actually did watch one episode of it a few months ago. The Mescal guy rings a bell. It didn't stick in my mind at all though and I didn't go back for more so it can't have been that good. I didn't realise it was a book aswell.

It is worth watching more of?

* my answer (guess) was already submitted at 10am this morning which GNR can verify so I didn't cheat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Are you Troy Barnes?

Sounds more like Baz Ashmawy and his ma :D

NINTCHDBPICT000118533311.jpg?w=620

Advertisement