Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Last Person Standing January Quiz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

And you never know... maybe supermarkets do actually make a loss on milk... :pac:

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

How cheaty is it to go and peek at the farming forum?

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm not getting this.

Is it just a guess?

Well if you're not a dairy farmer/follow farming news then ya it's probably a guess. I was going to say at least there's an upper limit but based on a couple of posts maybe not:D

At least there's a lower limit.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Purgative wrote: »
    How cheaty is it to go and peek at the farming forum?

Feel free but be warned. They have shotguns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Can I phone a friend please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm not getting this.

Is it just a guess?

More an approximation of what % the producer gets versus manufacturing, packaging and delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Well if you're not a dairy farmer/follow farming news then ya it's probably a guess. I was going to say at least there's an upper limit but based on a couple of posts maybe not:D

At least there's a lower limit.:D

Unless the Dairy Farmer's are selling their milk at a loss, and paying people just to shift the stuff... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Green&Red wrote: »
    More an approximation of what % the producer gets versus manufacturing, packaging and delivery

Farmers are RICH and moan a lot. So it's about 220% RIGHT????:p:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Sawduck wrote: »
    You have a friend?
    What are you doing in here then? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Unless the Dairy Farmer's are selling their milk at a loss, and paying people just to shift the stuff... ;)

SUPERMARKETS: Sorry lads, there's just not the same demand for milk anymore
    DAIRY FARMERS: But the population is bigger than ever!
    SUPERMARKETS: Yeah, but its the bloody Vegans and the Health Experts and all that nonsense, even the carnivores are having the auld Kale Juice for breakfast instead of a good old fashioned bowl of Coco Pops these days.
    DAIRY FARMERS: What are we supposed to do with all this milk then?
    SUPERMARKETS: Just hold on to it until the nutritional landscape changes
    DAIRY FARMERS: But, milk goes off, it'll spoil!!!
    SUPERMARKETS: Oh yeah, forgot about that, sh*t one
    DAIRY FARMERS: Hang on, what if we all paid you to keep stocking the milk?
    SUPERMARKETS: Well obviously that'd be ideal for us, but that's not how business works, whats in it for you?
    DAIRY FARMERS: Well we're also in the Potato business and we're thinking of launching a new crisps range that come in a variety of mad flavours, that are super cheap to make, but we want to sell them at an extortionate rate. You pay us more for those than they're worth and that'll more than make up for the losses we take on the white schtuff.
    SUPERMARKETS: Okay, I'm picking up what you're laying down, but Tayto and King have had a monopoly on the crisp market since the beginning of time here in Ireland, how are you going to compete.
    DAIRY FARMERS: We give the brand a face, make it seem like a real salt of the Earth family affair, people will lap that sh*t up and turn their back on fictional characters like Mr. Tayto and... wait who is the King mascot, the King of Hearts is it, anyway doesn't matter, because we're gonna personalise these things to f**k, make it seem like four brothers are responsible for the whole thing, and everyone and their mothers will be going mad for them.
    SUPERMARKETS: Sounds good to us, we're in, what's the brand?
    DAIRY FARMERS: Keoghs!

• Advertisement

Sawduck wrote: »
    You have a friend?
    What are you doing in here then? :D

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Just submitted an answer that would almost certainly get me kicked out if I wasn’t immune.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So am I. Honestly, I'm amazed I made it to Day 6. If I go, I go. And you never know... maybe supermarkets do actually make a loss on milk... :pac:

Delivering any response keeps you in the game so far (except day 1) as someone will not get around to responding in time.

Question - Is there only 1 person eliminated per day? Will this still be going in February?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Delivering any response keeps you in the game so far (except day 1) as someone will not get around to responding in time
    Hadn't realised it was that many eliminated by default. That's a shame, hopefully that becomes much rarer as only the hardcore remain!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Does every farmer negotiate a price with Tesco or do they all get a flat rate?

Does every farmer negotiate a price with Tesco or do they all get a flat rate?

Farmer's don't negotiate with Tesco, it's the creameries that set the prices for milk like Glanbia or Aurivo etc. Milk price is set monthly I think. Farmer's can get bonuses or deductions depending on the quality of their milk.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Delivering any response keeps you in the game so far (except day 1) as someone will not get around to responding in time.

Question - Is there only 1 person eliminated per day? Will this still be going in February?

Due to finish sometime in 2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Due to finish sometime in 2022

You'll be up for an award next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I sent my answer then rang y brother-in-law and asked and he near pissed himself laughing when i told him what i guessed he is not a farmer now and wasn't sure of the price but said my guess is way off.

Am i allowed to change my guess?

• Advertisement

I sent my answer then rang y brother-in-law and asked and he near pissed himself laughing when i told him what i guessed he is not a farmer now and wasn't sure of the price but said my guess is way off.

Am i allowed to change my guess?

giphy.gif

Not after you've consulted with a potential expert.

Unless he said to multiply it by a million, in which case, go for it... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Ah I'll leave it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Good luck to everybody left, I've had a troublesome few days, nothing major, and it could go on for a while.
    I'd love to do this again sometime.

Apologies Green&Red for holding you up.

Hope it's nothing too serious JW. Au revoir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I heard a bit of Sean Moncrieff this afternoon, Mairéad Lavery on the farming slot was discussing dairying!!

If she mentioned the price of milk I didn't hear that bit, but it would have been handy listening for anyone who did......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Wife hasn't a clue. No wonder her uncle didn't leave us the farm.

So I would love to see Molly, Sawduck or Kitten invited to the board of Aurivo and put in charge of setting milk prices.

The correct answer was 32.5c/L, a lot of people in and around the correct answer, Osh would have us in the poor house.

Unfortunately for Kitten she was furthest away and no surprises but the Ag Science teacher Rainbow Trout take the pass for tomorrow.

Hard luck Kitten, feel free to send in an answer any day you want though

Osh 15.65
    Neowise 22.55
    Zaph 26.75
    BuileBeag 28.05
    wrestlemaniac 28.50
    Kolido 29.00
    Posy 29.00
    Electric Nitwit 29.47
    cee_jay 30.00
    cj maxx 31.00
    the purple tin 31.00
    khalessi 32.00
    rainbowtrout 32.40
    feargale 33.00
    hurlingman97 33.00
    Clarabel 33.42
    Aaronjennings 34.00
    Purgative 34.26
    Trigger 35.00
    Sephiroth_dude 35.05
    Shorty69664 37.00
    Pawwed Rig 41.00
    HeidiHeidi 42.00
    bubblypop 43.00
    Reberetta 43.00
    Toto Wolfcastle 46.32
    duffman13 51.10
    ShaneU 55.00
    KathleenGrant 58.32
    Loughc 65.00
    Collie D 75.00
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 79.00
    Irish Aris 85.00
    Mollyb60 100.00
    Sawduck 104.00
    kitten_k 105.00

Hard luck Kitten, feel free to send in an answer any day you want though
    Greenie delivering the news...

bang-bang-kitty.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

In all seriousness it's horrific how little farmers get for their products. Great question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Wow close call today, i feel like i'm on my dying legs in this competition

• Advertisement

tenor.gif?itemid=16354526

More cow questions please!! :D

Advertisement