Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Last Person Standing January Quiz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Last 2 days in a row i wrote 24. Almost did again today and changed it last minute. If i hadn't I'd be gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Collie D wrote: »
    But the basic point of swimming is not to drown. You can be as fit as you like but if you don’t have some sort of technique you’re in trouble. Now if you want to start racing you get fitter.

Exactly, so then for the crap swimmer wouldn't most of their effort come from their fitness and not their technique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Green&Red wrote: »
    For ordinary smohs like me what % does swim mechanics make up in my performance?

So majority of you assumed that the % would drop

The actual answer to this is that I wanted to do a triathlon

I've seen people swim backwards because their technique is wrong!

Did you do the triathlon? Green muscle man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I can swim... pretty well... but I learned as a child before I understood the meaning of the word technique... and I hadn't the foggiest...

Think its one of those cases of once you know how to do something you think there's f*ck all to it. Me earlier today: Technique? What technique? Kick your legs and swoop your arms... :D
    Whereas I never really learned properly. I won't drown but my technique is abysmal. Stick me on a bike I can go all day, stick me in a pool and I'm dying within minutes. So I guess technique counts for more. Probably about 90% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Not for the first time i barely survive

• Advertisement

Whereas I never really learned properly. I won't drown but my technique is abysmal. Stick me on a bike I can go all day, stick me in a pool and I'm dying within minutes. So I guess technique counts for more. Probably about 90% :D

Bad technique creates huge water resistance. So you'll get fitter cause you're working harder....but you won't get faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Exactly, so then for the crap swimmer wouldn't most of their effort come from their fitness and not their technique?

I’m defining technique as the ability to stay afloat. Maybe I’m wrong but worked out for me in this round

I’m similar to Levar in that I never “learned” how to swim - was just thrown into a pool that was half chlorine, half water at a young age and some basic survival instinct kicked in but it’s still a technique I think.

In hindsight my babysitter shouldn’t have been allowed near children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yeah, makes sense when you think about it logically of course... logic isn't my go to though... ;)

Pool or Bike would be no bother to me, second nature, but stick me 20 feet from an open goal and ask me to kick a soccerball into it to save my life, I'd probably be in trouble... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

:confused::confused::confused: That doesn't make sense

But what about the lad that is fit, just shite at swimming? Surely it's their fitness that's getting them through it?

No it’s his technique that’s holding him back

If he can do 100m in 100 seconds then 10 seconds is down to his fitness and 90 down to his technique. He could double his fitness and do it in 95 seconds or double his technique and do it in 55 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Show no mercy G.....

so-many-barneys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

osh wrote: »
    I went lazy and just flipped the percentages. Mental note not to do that again 😅

Get out of my head! This was my tactic!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah it's actually true, I'm terribly unfit but I have very good swimming technique so seem super impressive in the water :D Tbf I had lessons both through school and privately from ages 4 to 12, loved it more than any other sport really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

cee_jay wrote: »
    Get out of my head! This was my tactic!!

If we keep picking the same answer we’ll never be knocked out

be54bdbafb652dd887bfeab9eb4fa1ee--british-humour-comedy-tv.jpg
    osh wrote: »
    If we keep picking the same answer we’ll never be knocked out

Clarabel wrote: »
    I've seen people swim backwards because their technique is wrong!

Did you do the triathlon? Green muscle man!

Ya I did the first one in the canal in Kilcock, you could stand up, I walked quite a bit of it.

I did get fairly handy at them, few podium finishes, won the Athlone Swim short course one year. Cycling was my thing though. Loved the Howth aquathons during the summer, they were great races, and great for the tinder profile

So back to history, Bunreacht na hÉireann

Ireland rewrote their constitution in the 1930s, effectively replacing the British monarch with the Catholic Church, who had an effective veto on the wording of the document, it was one of the final steps to our independence.

How many months passed between the decision being made to rewrite the constitution and Douglas Hyde being sworn in as our first president?

Interestingly for anyone who has watched the crown, this all took place around the time of the abdication of Edward VIII, we don't even get a passing mention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I need foreigner dispensation
    How did this work again? :D

Big sighs

Not so confident about winning now Toto.

Again I'll need dispensation. Sure in my history books I learnt that there was a bit of Ireland that wasn't owned by the UK who knew why, lots of fighting terrorists bad people and Belfast was mega dangerous, don't go there.

Green&Red wrote: »
    So back to history, Bunreacht na hÉireann

Ireland rewrote their constitution in the 1930s, effectively replacing the British monarch with the Catholic Church, who had an effective veto on the wording of the document, it was one of the final steps to our independence.

How many months passed between the decision being made to rewrite the constitution and Douglas Hyde being sworn in as our first president?

Interestingly for anyone who has watched the crown, this all took place around the time of the abdication of Edward VIII, we don't even get a passing mention

My life is in your hands today. When you say the decision to rewrite the constitution, was this the date of the referendum or the date DeValera decided it should be done?

My life is in your hands today. When you say the decision to rewrite the constitution, was this the date of the referendum or the date DeValera decided it should be done?

Now cee_jay do you know those dates?

I mean one imagines the date he decided to do it was probably years before the rising actually starred. I dream a dream..

• Advertisement

The executive council made a formal decision

Now cee_jay do you know those dates?

I mean one imagines the date he decided to do it was probably years before the rising actually starred. I dream a dream..

I have an idea. Again, definitely have a book on this in the work office :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I know the year that Hyde became president. Still leaves a lot of difference without knowing the month ugh

Trigger wrote: »
    I know the year that Hyde became president. Still leaves a lot of difference without knowing the month ugh

Well at least it gives a range. For anyone who doesn't know when Hyde became president, it might be a bit of a problem.

Trigger wrote: »
    Well at least it gives a range. For anyone who doesn't know when Hyde became president, it might be a bit of a problem.

Anyone wanna take a brown envelope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Big sighs

Not so confident about winning now Toto.

Again I'll need dispensation. Sure in my history books I learnt that there was a bit of Ireland that wasn't owned by the UK who knew why, lots of fighting terrorists bad people and Belfast was mega dangerous, don't go there.

Speaking as a resident, Belfast is delightful now (I mean in general, not currently cos everywhere is a ****hole when nothing is open) and I would highly recommend that everyone come visit. There's barely any murders here at all these days. :D

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Speaking as a resident, Belfast is delightful now (I mean in general, not currently cos everywhere is a ****hole when nothing is open) and I would highly recommend that everyone come visit. There's barely any murders here at all these days. :D

I visited in my 2nd or 3rd week in the country. Back in 1998, I was terrified I was gonna get blown up, murdered. I wouldn't look anyone in the eyes. Then I got there and was blown away by how gorgeous it is!

Anyone wanna take a brown envelope?

Will it have the answer for tomorrow's question in it?

Will it have the answer for tomorrow's question in it?

If tomorrows question is about things I actually know then YES, absolutely yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'm either close, or very far away! Like much of this quiz:D

This question gave me a midday headache

Advertisement