Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Last Person Standing January Quiz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

I actually thought the answer might be 12 but no way I was going that low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Morning

So I was doing a clear out of an old shed last week and came across a filing cabinet with old bills in it.

I have an ESB bill for October 1978, how much is it for?

1,439 units were used, no mention of what a unit is but I presume its kWh. For reference on my house bill 1 kWh is 17.53c

Also on the bill are a standing charge and "HP instalment No. 15 of 30" so I guess that could be paying for the meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47zl1aoxfh6u0n34w19qfr0nf98sblozxbh4l3s89n&rid=200w.webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Great question. So many layers to this one.

Bearing in mind I don’t have to answer it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Collie D wrote: »
    Great question. So many layers to this one.

Bearing in mind I don’t have to answer it :)

I assume you'll carry on answering, in the same way I thought I couldn't win but I'm still here enjoying the pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Clarabel wrote: »
    I assume you'll carry on answering, in the same way I thought I couldn't win but I'm still here enjoying the pain.

I’ll definitely be thinking of this one all day but won’t submit to keep GnR’s inbox free. I think I’ve already put more thought into this one than when I was actually involved. Just as well it’s Sunday and I’ve no work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Who keeps ESB blls from 1978? I don't have last years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

In which currency would you like the answer G?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

:pac:

That is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Greenie, I really appreciate the work you're putting in to making my questions look normal!

Youre-Insane-Edward-Norton-Quote-In-Primal-Fear.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Green&Red wrote: »
    Morning

So I was doing a clear out of an old shed last week and came across a filing cabinet with old bills in it.

1,439 units were used, no mention of what a unit is but I presume its kWh. For reference on my house bill 1 kWh is 17.53c

Also on the bill are a standing charge and "HP instalment No. 15 of 30" so I guess that could be paying for the meter.

HP is probably an appliance from the good old days when the ESB where the big sellers of white goods.

This doesn't help me a jot though:( :D

Greenie, I really appreciate the work you're putting in to making my questions look normal!

Funny you never realise what the good times were until they're over. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Did they still use shillings and farthings in 1978? I wasn't born then so I'm not sure about the money situation. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Did they still use shillings and farthings in 1978? I wasn't born then so I'm not sure about the money situation. :pac::pac::pac:

Eh yeah are we talking punts? I was assuming punts but presuming and this quiz aren't a good combo :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We used groats back then. And if you had no cash, some places accepted chickens.

Shilling yes. Farthing no.

Edit no it was after decimalisation so neither

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Morning

Also on the bill are a standing charge and "HP instalment No. 15 of 30" so I guess that could be paying for the meter. [/B]

That's for an appliance bought on credit. ESB used to have shops as such, and you could buy appliances on credit and pay them off over a period of time on the bill. 30 payments, that's a 60 month repayment plan.

How are we supposed to know what the HP payment was for an unknown appliance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's for an appliance bought on credit. ESB used to have shops as such, and you could buy appliances on credit and pay them off over a period of time on the bill. 30 payments, that's a 60 month repayment plan.

In fairness, I'd say that's the least of your worries with a question like this.

Anyone want to go splits on a random number generator for the rest of this competition?

Kolido wrote: »
    In which currency would you like the answer G?

Punts

Morning

Is VAT added on to the bill after all the charges?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yep, that sounds like an appliance(s) bought on HP from the ESB, which was common enough I think.

I'm just giving a pure guess because I don't care enough to try and work out what the appliance was, if there was more than one and how much household appliances were back in the 1970's. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have a pass but gonna submit an answer anyway, Is it a monthly bill or every two months?

I have a pass but gonna submit an answer anyway, Is it a monthly bill or every two months?

Normally every two months. It shouldn't matter for this as it's charged based on units used.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Normally every two months. It shouldn't matter for this as it's charged based on units used.

what about hours per day? is it 24hrs? god I'm so confused , I was just looking at a formula for calculating electricity and my head hurts.

what about hours per day? is it 24hrs? god I'm so confused , I was just looking at a formula for calculating electricity and my head hurts.

Units are kilowatt hours. If an appliance has a rating of 1kW, then if you used it for an hour it would use 1kW of electricity. It doesn't matter when the electricity is used. Granted there are night savers plans for cheaper rates for night use, but I can't imagine that was around in 1978.

A typical electric shower has a rating of 9kW. Using it for an hour at todays rates of about 18c per unit would cost €1.62 per hour. But we didn't have electric showers in Ireland in 1978 :pac:

Is VAT added on to the bill after all the charges?

Theres no VAT

Monthly bill

Just waiting on Baile &Seph

So everyone in, again one person has way overshot the runway, Reberetta this time. £51.24 was the correct answer, 2.55p/kWh and £11.20 for the HP. Hurlingman was the closest and receives a bye tomorrow

Hard luck Reberetta

HeidiHeidi £4.72
    Shorty69664 £12.00
    Kolido £15.00
    Pawwed Rig £16.00
    Posy £18.00
    Trigger £18.46
    Toto Wolfcastle £23.17
    Zaph £27.42
    Electric Nitwit £34.00
    Purgative £35.00
    rainbowtrout £35.37
    Osh £36.00
    wrestlemaniac £37.55
    KathleenGrant £42.00
    Also Starring LeVar Burton £42.23
    Irish Aris £50.00
    hurlingman97 £51.50
    duffman13 £58.00
    BuileBeag £60.52
    Clarabel £60.88
    Sephiroth_dude £65.50
    Loughc £78.12
    Mollyb60 £100.00
    ShaneU £133.86
    Reberetta £200.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

My dodgy maths gave me £40 without the HP which was basically bang on. I didn't trust it and went lower, should always...

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

My dodgy maths gave me £40 without the HP which was basically bang on. I didn't trust it and went lower, should always...

giphy.gif

Ummm what maths?

Advertisement