Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Last Person Standing January Quiz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So just the matter of last nite's elimination to go

Trigger guessed 26; Molly 40 and LoughC 112

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Green&Red wrote: »
    So just the matter of last nite's elimination to go

Trigger guessed 26; Molly 40 and LoughC 112

Gulp.

So there were a few elements to this

15 players on a team but there were generally no subs, so 60 was the max. The main issue was that Eoin O'Duffy was the first garda commissioner and he was mad about GAA and insisted that all gardaí stationed in Dublin played for Dublin.

Do the actual answer was four dubs. So we're saying goodbye to LoughC and also to Heidi, hard luck guys. Aris swoops in for tomorrow's pass

First lady we've lost in a long time, I know Kathleen, Clara, Molly are ladies and I think Rainbow and Posy? Anyone else?

Irish Aris 20
    Trigger 26
    Pawwed Rig 31
    Posy 33
    Purgative 34
    Osh 36
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 37
    Mollyb60 40
    BuileBeag 41
    Clarabel 42
    Sephiroth_dude 43
    Electric Nitwit 44
    Kolido 45
    Zaph 45
    KathleenGrant 46
    Toto Wolfcastle 47
    duffman13 49
    wrestlemaniac 51
    Shorty69664 55
    hurlingman97 60
    ShaneU 62
    rainbowtrout 71
    HeidiHeidi 73
    Loughc 112

Loughc wrote: »
    Gulp.

Ya even if you werent in the tie-breaker you were out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

First lady we've lost in a long time, I know Kathleen, Clara, Molly are ladies and I think Rainbow and Posy? Anyone else?
    Me

c7b2718caca6cc446d244e0cdfa10c61.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Kathleen, I’m not sure I approve of you putting an answer on thread

And by not sure I mean don’t!

Really sorry. It was meant as a piece of craic. I didn't pay any attention to it, certainly didn't google.

I asked at 13:54 should i answer or not. Heard nothing and put a tongue in cheek answer in thread at 20:01. Over 6 hours when nobody said don't. I was actually acting the maggot. Was laughing when i put the answer in.
    If you want to throw me out because of this i will accept decision.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ShaneU wrote: »
    Me

c7b2718caca6cc446d244e0cdfa10c61.png

tenor.gif?itemid=5545804

Really sorry. It was meant as a piece of craic. I didn't pay any attention to it, certainly didn't google.

I asked at 13:54 should i answer or not. Heard nothing and put a tongue in cheek answer in thread at 20:01. Over 6 hours when nobody said don't. I was actually acting the maggot. Was laughing when i put the answer in.
    If you want to throw me out because of this i will accept decision.

Well nothing that drastic Kathleen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm not sure many people would refer to me as a lady but technically I am.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I had a feeling it was a trick question I thought it was minor and senor teams both won those years or something so I doubled up and added two to be unique :D

I bid ye all a good evening.

C’mon Posy bring the title home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I bloody knew it was going to be lower! Should have risked it ffs, bottled it because I was in the playoffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I dont really get that answer, yes I get that only 4 where from Dublin. But sounds like it was a really big squad or a very small gardai force in Dublin.

Its probably too late in the day to explain it now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

First lady we've lost in a long time, I know Kathleen, Clara, Molly are ladies and I think Rainbow and Posy? Anyone else
    tenor.png

I'm a female person!

Kolido wrote: »
    I dont really get that answer, yes I get that only 4 where from Dublin. But sounds like it was a really big squad or a very small gardai force in Dublin.

More that any gardas that wanted to play had to play for dublin, it made them a lot stronger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Kolido wrote: »

I think even to this day, if you look at those who are active in GAA clubs in Dublin, you will find that in the majority of cases that at least one (and probably more) of either their parents or grandparents came from the country.

I'm a female person!
    Posy wrote: »
    tenor.png
    I'm not sure many people would refer to me as a lady but technically I am.

Theres a feckin load of ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

So there were a few elements to this

15 players on a team but there were generally no subs, so 60 was the max. The main issue was that Eoin O'Duffy was the first garda commissioner and he was mad about GAA and insisted that all gardaí stationed in Dublin played for Dublin.

Do the actual answer was four dubs. So we're saying goodbye to LoughC and also to Heidi, hard luck guys. Aris swoops in for tomorrow's pass

So it was a trick question? How was anyone supposed to know that people playing from Dublin were not from Dublin?

I presume going by the answers everyone interpreted it as the total number of people representing Dublin in the four matches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think even to this day, if you look at those who are active in GAA clubs in Dublin, you will find that in the majority of cases that at least one (and probably more) of either their parents or grandparents came from the country.

Off topic but there was a radio documentary on newstalk that discussed this and put the current success of Dublin down to free second level education as this developed a professional class that moved from the country up to Dublin. The south side was mostly rugby and cricket before then but the new arrivals brought GAA with them and built up a load of clubs and built a much larger pool of talent for the county.

So it was a trick question? How was anyone supposed to know that people playing from Dublin were not from Dublin?

I presume going by the answers everyone interpreted it as the total number of people representing Dublin in the four matches.

I just assumed that you had to be from the county to play for them, but some would have played in more than one final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Off topic but there was a radio documentary on newstalk that discussed this and put the current success of Dublin down to free second level education as this developed a professional class that moved from the country up to Dublin. The south side was mostly rugby and cricket before then but the new arrivals brought GAA with them and built up a load of clubs and built a much larger pool of talent for the county.

Here's a sickening thought for Mayo's representative here, Green&Red: some of the Dublin squad that have defeated Mayo in recent years could well have Mayo roots! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Here's a sickening thought for Mayo's representative here, Green&Red: some of the Dublin squad that have defeated Mayo in recent years could well have Mayo roots! :pac:

Mayo need to invoke a Granny rule

What about all the other counties that beat Mayo? :D

First lady we've lost in a long time, I know Kathleen, Clara, Molly are ladies and I think Rainbow and Posy? /quote]

Kathleen totally is. Can't speak for the rest of the rabble.

The Brogans are from up the road from me, Basquel’s also have at least one parent from mayo

The Brogans are from up the road from me, Basquel’s also have at least one parent from mayo

None born from 1870-1900 so this is relevant how???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

None born from 1870-1900 so this is relevant how???

Declans post was about recent times and not the question itself.

Up the Dubs!

What is a 'dub' anyway?
    How do you define one? Someone who lives in dublin?
    Someone who lived most of their life there?
    Someone born there?
    Do their parents have to be from Dublin?
    Can you just decide that you're a dub inside a culchies body?????

bubblypop wrote: »
    What is a 'dub' anyway?
    Someone born there?

How do you identify?

What is anything really other than a hook to hang your hat on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

bubblypop wrote: »
    What is a 'dub' anyway?
    Someone born there?

I don’t think anyone who isn’t a Dub is going to claim to be one.

From a Dub.

Advertisement