Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Last Person Standing January Quiz

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It was the 'employed by the government' that threw me- to be fair, I assumed they were all paid though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

50k kids per year came up during the advent calendar. I assumed it was similar then, so 400k kids in primary school. Classes of 40 seemed plausible, that's how I landed on 10k

Because I did so great in the advent calendar that I've gone back and studied every question... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I don't have any idea how many primary schools are in the Country now, let alone back in 1946, don't even start with class sizes... :pac:

I also considered maybe a lot of the teacher were priests and nuns, and they don't work for the government, they work for "God"

So the INTO only balloted 9,000 odd because the remainder were in religious orders and weren't given a vote but they were paid by the government

Posy wrote: »

Finding the questions in this about as interesting as school, and that is saying something. :pac:

giphy.gif

12 in my primary school class, one of the bigger classes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hmmm. I might have overestimated there.

Enjoy the next 3 weeks all. Thanks for organising GNR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Because I did so great in the advent calendar that I've gone back and studied every question... :rolleyes:
    It's like you don't take Last Person Standing seriously :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's like you don't take Last Person Standing seriously :D

I didn't expect to still be here. Thought I would go out around Day 3, not still alive and kicking for Day 21 and be at the half-way point of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

50k kids per year came up during the advent calendar. I assumed it was similar then, so 400k kids in primary school. Classes of 40 seemed plausible, that's how I landed on 10k

I was in a class of 43 in the 1980s so I actually went for higher classes.

I was in a class of 43 in the 1980s so I actually went for higher classes.
    Wow. Pity your poor teacher :eek:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That was pretty normal. When I was in primary school in the 70s I was in one of 2 classes of 42. But we were all such angels it was a joy to teach us. :D

I dunno, discipline wasn't really an issue back then. It would be bonkers now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

This was my reasoning for my 5,000 answer:
    In my town currently there's about 9,000 people and 4 primary schools. Each school has about 6 teachers each. So 24 teachers per town.
    Guessing about 7-8 towns per county gives me 182 towns in Ireland so 4,386 teachers. Dublin will probably skew the results, and there would've been more kids about in 1946 than there is now. But then did all of them go to school? And I'm not including all the teenchy 1/2 teacher schools in the villages and townlands.

Looks like Dublin DID skew the results but even if I went with 10 towns per county like I originally planned I woudl've come out with only 6,240 so I'm ok with my 5,000 answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    This was my reasoning for my 5,000 answer:
    In my town currently there's about 9,000 people and 4 primary schools. Each school has about 6 teachers each. So 24 teachers per town.
    Guessing about 7-8 towns per county gives me 182 towns in Ireland so 4,386 teachers. Dublin will probably skew the results, and there would've been more kids about in 1946 than there is now. But then did all of them go to school? And I'm not including all the teenchy 1/2 teacher schools in the villages and townlands.

Looks like Dublin DID skew the results but even if I went with 10 towns per county like I originally planned I woudl've come out with only 6,240 so I'm ok with my 5,000 answer.

See this is overthinking it. I normally write the first thing that comes into my head So far it's working.

See this is overthinking it. I normally write the first thing that comes into my head So far it's working.

Sometimes I do that if I haven't a clue about the answer but if it can at least have a bit of thought behind it I prefer to have a discussion and work it out. It's worked for me so far too. (famous last words) :D

Sometimes I do that if I haven't a clue about the answer but if it can at least have a bit of thought behind it I prefer to have a discussion and work it out. It's worked for me so far too. (famous last words) :D

Talk about jinxing yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

If the last round question isn't "how long is this piece of string I have in pocket?" You've missed an opportunity to solve an age old question :D

Anyway, back to farming

giphy.gif

To become a dairy supplier you need to be part of the sustainable dairy assurance scheme called Origin Green, theres also a beef and sheep equivalent.
    It singlehandedly keeps the cheese industry afloat with Saoirse Ronan promos.

Cue LeVar with "See that calf one minute into the video, that was actually me"

In their paperwork they say "Ireland is particularly fortunate to have in excess of XX% of the water used in livestock production coming from rainfall"

Tell me the %?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Right, now wheres me dartboard

Reading today's question with a pass...

4und6k.gif

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Well it does rain quite a bit.

Trigger wrote: »
    Right, now wheres me dartboard

At least there's an upper and lower limit.... although with all the rain lately I'm not sure there's an upper limit.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Green&Red wrote: »
    Anyway, back to farming

giphy.gif

To become a dairy supplier you need to be part of the sustainable dairy assurance scheme called Origin Green, theres also a beef and sheep equivalent.
    It singlehandedly keeps the cheese industry afloat with Saoirse Ronan promos.

Cue LeVar with "See that calf one minute into the video, that was actually me"

In their paperwork they say "Ireland is particularly fortunate to have in excess of XX% of the water used in livestock production coming from rainfall"

Tell me the %?

I'm like Manuel every morning with these questions. How have I made it this far, I don't know. . .:D

giphy.gif

At least there's an upper and lower limit.... although with all the rain lately I'm not sure there's an upper limit.:D

Is the upper limit infinity?

Green&Red wrote: »

Tell me the %?[/B]

Ok explain the question like I'm a 2 year old. What are we looking for? The % excess water?

Is the upper limit infinity?

Molly when the bucket is full, its full :)

There's a bucket?

There's a bucket?

In my analogy :p

Oh god. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

As much as it offended the competitive spirit in me to get booted out of this competition - and it did, it did :( - I cannot overstate the absolute luxury of dipping into this thread every morning without having to manipulate my brain cells to black belt yogi levels to just figure out what the question is, never mind try to come up with an answer :D

Ok explain the question like I'm a 2 year old. What are we looking for? The % excess water?

What percentage of water on farms comes from rain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Reading today's question with a pass...

4und6k.gif

:D

Advertisement