Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Last Person Standing January Quiz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So is it the same weight 7 times or is it 100 the first time and working back per lift.

Wish i had done physics instead of chemistry in school.

Same weight seven times

Good Q, I feel like we’re getting places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm struggling to even figure out which sort of maths to apply to this :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Green&Red wrote: »
    Same weight seven times

Good Q, I feel like we’re getting places

What will you do if everyone gives the same answer, particularly after reading that post? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

So is it the same weight 7 times or is it 100 the first time and working back per lift.

Wish i had done physics instead of chemistry in school.

I did physics :)
    It will be less than 100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm struggling to even figure out which sort of maths to apply to this :mad:

Hold your finger up to the wind and the answer is the first number that comes to mind which is less than 100.
    That was my maths anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well because they could go into the gym every day and lift 100kg once

They are doing the seven lifts together, so they'll be tired by the time lift seven comes. Its why they won't be able to lift an eighth time

Sure, someone might be able to lift a weight seven times but not eight. Still don’t see what that has got to do with lifting it once the previous week.

No formula exists in physics that involve weight and time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Purgative wrote: »
    I did physics :)
    It will be less than 100

Well he already implied that it was less than 100 so i guessed that. Ok. I have 3 options

1. Get a pen and paper and try work something out. I'll probably do it wrong cos won't know what to do.

2. Guess some random number so i don't waste time and then i can watch football.

3. Invite some Muscles Magee to come to the house with his weights and ask him to do 7 lifts and see what he does. (If he's handsome i could admire him while he does it) What are the chances Muscles can lift 100 though?

A fcek it. I want to see the football so I choose option 2. Get ready for a random bull**** answer Green&Red ( it couldn't be worse than my attempt at yesterday's question anyway. Should have been kicked out for that)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Sure, someone might be able to lift a weight seven times but not eight. Still don’t see what that has got to do with lifting it once the previous week.

Time has nothing to do with it. Time was only mentioned to explain he did one lift. It's a red herring. Forget about it.

It was more to point out it was the same guy, so same power, and it was in one sitting

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

All this time I thought EN was the evil genius.

G&R however.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

OK I feel like I'm not using the words that are in my brain to adequately express my question

The answer is not 1/7th

A person goes into a gym in a rush, only has time to do ONE benchpress. They put on 100kg because that is the max they can lift. They wouldn't be able to lift 101kg and they wouldn't be able to do a second lift at 100kg.

The next week the same person goes back to the gym, they have more time, they want to do seven lifts this time, what is the max weight they could lift seven times but wouldn't be able to do the 8th time

I get the question but cant see how there could be a specific answer. I mean who are we talking about, yourself, EN, LeVar.
    I guess there is some scientific equation for this like you can only fold a piece of paper 7 times

At least we have a ballpark with this one I suppose.

Kolido wrote: »
    I get the question but cant see how there could be a specific answer. I mean who are we talking about, yourself, EN, LeVar.
    I guess there is some scientific equation for this like you can only fold a piece of paper 7 times

At least we have a ballpark with this one I suppose.

Not that it matters too much but a 68kg person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I mean who are we talking about, yourself, EN, LeVar
    True, very different answers there, I'm a powerhouse :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I used to do weight training, so if it helps anyone, I could've done 7 reps of 180lbs no bother (well I say no bother, it took time and training to build up to that) if we're talking standard deadlift (lifting a weight from the floor and up over your head, all the way back down to the floor again, and repeat). But as we're talking bench press, that was my forté, and I could do 7 reps of 420lbs at my peak. And I would've weighed about 87kg myself at the time, of pure muscle. Throw 1 pint of porter into that mix though and it'd throw you off for a week.

That was a good 10 years ago though, haven't gone near a weight in about 7, and would be amazed if I could manage to do 7 reps of an empty keg, some days I struggle to even lift my phone above my head.

So if you know that much and just apply it to the parameters set in the question its easy really. ;)

EDIT: Actually, I was lifting in lbs not kg, that was a typo, I ain't superman...

In the interest of this ridiculous conversation I am now having with my brother are we talking lifting a weight.. um... squat? Bench? Dead lift? Or are we talking .. snatch? Or clean and jerk?

Oh and my brother absolutely thinks I've lost my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In the interest of this ridiculous conversation I am now having with my brother are we talking lifting a weight.. um... squat? Bench? Dead lift? Or are we talking .. snatch? Or clean and jerk?

It says Benchpress in the question.

It says Benchpress in the question.

Oooh sorry. I wasn't bothered going back looking! Thanks levar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Greeny, you better put up a disclaimer quick before people start doing experiments and do themselves an injury :eek:

From this book it’s the ratio that matters but if I’d mentioned ratios I don’t think we’d ever get an answer.

Greeny, you better put up a disclaimer quick before people start doing experiments and do themselves an injury :eek:

Judging by the dumbfounded reaction most people had to the question, doubt most of them have ever seen a weight, let alone just have them lying around at home to test out the theory themselves...

Although, if someone fails to send in answer today, lets assume they died after trying to bench press their fridge...

• Advertisement

From this book it’s the ratio that matters but if I’d mentioned ratios I don’t think we’d ever get an answer.

So this has nothing to do with weightlifting, it's just a maths question with a backstory. Like John has 300 apples and eats 47. Nobody eats 47 apples and nobody does one bench press today and 7 tomorrow.

So this has nothing to do with weightlifting, it's just a maths question with a backstory. Like John has 300 apples and eats 47. Nobody eats 47 apples and nobody does one bench press today and 7 tomorrow.

Guaranteed there's someone who does.

More a vehicle for framing the question. When I’m home I’ll look up the exact title of the table.

I should say I’ve never bench pressed anything in my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

You would have to give a timeframe, like I could eat 47 apples in a month. Then we would have to consider them going bad, where do you store them?. How big are they?

Like another poster earlier, I'm starting to pine for the good old days of simple stuff like Christmas tree sales and snowman heights :(

At least I understood the questions :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ratios would have simplified it completely. Currently it's 'how long is a piece of string' Not convinced there is a correct answer for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

To quote... well, everyone from the advent calendar... "Entered, googled, regret" :D

I think I should be safe but I'm definitely not as near as I'd hoped I'd be

Ratios would have simplified it completely. Currently it's 'how long is a piece of string' Not convinced there is a correct answer for this.

giphy.gif

Ratios are far more confusing than guessing a whole number.

I can just about manage halves, thirds, quarters, and fifths, but anything beyond that may as well be rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I got an A in Maths for the Leaving Cert. It was more than 15 years ago, it was Ordinary Level and all the questions were in Irish.

That's a long way of saying I'm completely stumped.

• Advertisement

I'm only now really starting to appreciate the absolute genius of EN's use of the median..... it didn't matter a ****e what the actual answer was.

In anticipation of the howls of outrage from at least half of the players, I'm already working on the appeal I'm planning to submit when the answer to this is revealed tonight, even though I'm not entirely sure what the question was. It will probably involve as much "intelligence" as my answer to the question (ie, a few nice words that I quite like the sound and look of, that may or may not be related to the matter in hand, even slightly)

Advertisement