Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Christmas ... tail!

• 25-12-2020 6:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Christmas blessings to all there and here!

Just dropped in to relate this!

PS meant to put this in the competition but am probably too late? have to sleep now. No t back until much later if at allt. Not a we ll bunny. Of poss ble, please?i Blessings and thanks.

About Tonto, the wee starving cat who Oliver brought home two years ago, assuring him, " You look skinny mate and hungry.. Come home with me. SHE will feed you; SHE will feed anyone!"

This skinny waif " belongs- ed) to my farmer neighbour...

And I think many of you are aware of how cats in deep rural are often not well cared for. He was one of only two cats on the island after they sorted the overpopulation ( see also Caple Clear)

He was starving. Wary, wild.

Now he is a fine, healthy, affectionate cat. Glossy coat. Loves to ne petted and purrs and purrs when you speak to him

Always heartrendingly seeking MORE FOOD. I had to limit him as he was getting fat.

I always wondered if the man ever missed him? But I did not want a showdown. People cane be unpredictable. And on a small island rows are to be avoided And this is a good kind man.

last week my neighbour and I were chatting over the gate here ( I am coooned)

And I realised that Tonto had come to see who I was talking to... OH DEAR!

Man had seen him too and was looking puzzled. Wheels whirring..

So I plunged in. " How do you think he is looking? "

The man went into shock... Stared\ and stared, Started to deny it was him but was so totally overwhelmed..

He realised it was TWO YEARS and he had never realised he was missing and the bravado stopped. So he had never missed the cat.... never fed him all that time? ? he cares well for his dogs and his cattle...

And I saw Tonto in a new light. You get used to changes gradually. Now I saw him fully; thick glossy coat, confident, well fleshed. No longer a skinny timid runt..

So did the man...

"LOOK AT HIM! He is a monster!" then " He knows where to come for food!"

I said no word of criticism, Been in rural Ireland 20 years and before that Orkney where the same situation applies to cats on farms. Deplorable but for historical reasons.

The key is education and example. Not shaming or condemning. And Tonto was the perfect lesson. he is such a lovely cat! Proud of him!

Man was shell shocked. Nothing to be gained by harsh words. He could not take his eyes off Tonto.

He knows all my cats are rescues and they admire them greatly here. He knows too I am on a small pension. You could see his brain whirring

We carried on the small business we had. he had brought the meal from Meals on Wheels for me. He would not let me pay him for it

Next day he told me there is a hamper on its way from the meals on wheels group who have recently "adopted" me!

And fuel.... he is calling today. with goodies...

Thank you Tonto!

NB health issues so not here much just now. Getting old!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lots to be learned from that story.
    Thanks, Grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

lovely story education is more important than losing the head i suppose as a person guilty of losing mine with more than one animal abuser !! I strive to change and be nice but ....... sometimes !!!!! AAArrrggghhh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lovely story education is more important than losing the head i suppose as a person guilty of losing mine with more than one animal abuser !! I strive to change and be nice but ....... sometimes !!!!! AAArrrggghhh!!!

Had I lost it with him, he would have been hard on me. As it was he is hard on himself.... and I can ask favours more now also!

When he came next day, Tonto came to the gate again.. I called him over and suggested the man held his hand out to him Tonto nuzzled him! " he never did that when I had him.." well NO!

Then Oliver came out and ran up the wall...

So now I am the miracle worker with cats....

I am very happy at how it has turned out. Still friends and I am sure the man will never ever do that again to any critter.

And I have one of the most loving cats ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Lucky Tonto, rescued and safe
    And you gain another loving companion
    win/win
    but even better if you made that farmer realize that he had not taken care of his cat in the first place. Great if he feels bad enough to try to 'do good' too

Graces7 I wish you a happy and healthy New Year - love reading news on here of your Island life. Stay well, stay safe and very best wishes to you and your cat companions :)

Advertisement