Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AA insurance scam.

Options
13»

Comments

Dav010 wrote: »
    Where’s the deception if the buyer agrees to it before purchasing the service?

My post, the one you just quoted.. have you read it, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

My post, the one you just quoted.. have you read it, by any chance?

I have, again, why are you claiming to be deceived if you agree to the t&c you find objectionable before you decide to purchase?

The fact that it is outlined in the t&cs and you actually have to confirm you read and agree to them PRIOR to purchase counters any allegation of deception.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

I always get aa renewal notifications by post about two weeks after the cancellation date.

It is unbelievable but it actually happens consistently with them , systematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

I have, again, why are you claiming to be deceived if you agree to the t&c you find objectionable before you decide to purchase?

The fact that it is outlined in the t&cs and you actually have to confirm you read and agree to them PRIOR to purchase counters any allegation of deception.

Why don't the AA put a separate tick box for auto renew?

If they had that I would have no problem.

They sleaze it in among a whole raft of stuff on the buy page.

It's not made clear, is the issue. It's a deviation from any 'normal' rules that insurance companies would tend to follow, and as such, it should be information that is made blatantly clearly available to you.

Very, very few people will read terms and conditions of anything they buy, especially in the case of insurance, as there is an expectation that the insurance company will be operating in line with other insurers, or if they're not they should make it clear (for example, in the case of it's4women, they make it clear that they don't accept phone calls, but will phone you back if you request it, at an additional fee, but they don't hide that information in the middle of the ream of paper they give you - they tell you straight out).

It's absolutely deceptive to have auto-renew as an opt-out feature, instead of an opt-in. It would be fine if it were an opt-in that you had to manually allow (no one would, though, which is why it's opt-out, of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

Has any consumer agency highlighted this supposed dastardly practice of sending emails which will intendedly be directed to spam boxes?

Not that I'm aware of, but I think it would be worth the likes of BBC Watchdog doing a survey on.

I get that you're pro business, and pro "personal responsibility" at every single turn, but at what point, if any, do you see something as an underhanded practice?

How about 5,000 pages of T&C for travel insurance, and you sign your house over on page 4,982? Personal responsibility, right?

There is absolutely zero excuse for not making a phonecall in advance of debiting €250 from someone's account, contract or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

It's not made clear, is the issue. It's a deviation from any 'normal' rules that insurance companies would tend to follow, and as such, it should be information that is made blatantly clearly available to you.

As i have said previously, i have had my car insurance auto renewed by Aviva when i had forgotten to purchase a new policy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

I honestly don't understand how people can purchase something like insurance without reading the t&c's. They are the same people who give out stink about travel insurance when they find they have no cover for govt travel advice. The same persons who never vote and give out about the govt.too probably

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Guffy wrote: »
    As i have said previously, i have had my car insurance auto renewed by Aviva when i had forgotten to purchase a new policy

It would. It's pretty standard practice in the insurance industry, all car, house and health insurance auto renews if paid by direct debit. I haven't bought travel insurance and I when I worked insurance, we didn't do travel insurance so I don't have much experience in that. When signing up is it an IBAN or a card number that they are requesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

Took out car insurance last year as they were good value, as an add on they offered AA membership for €90 which I declined as family are mechanics so they offered vouchers to compensate and I took up the offer as it was costing me nothing. I work in finance and at no point in the conversation was it mentioned that the membership was auto renew. Come insurance renewal date I emailed to state I would not be renewing my insurance as their quote had more than Doubled nor would I be Renewing membership. Low and behold I checked my account one Morning to see I had been changed €118 on my visa debit card without any notification what so ever. I rang and requested a refund which took 10 days. Find This Way of doing business very dishonest but they arnt the only ones operating in this manner.

Watch your transactions on your bank statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Guffy wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand how people can purchase something like insurance without reading the t&c's.

You read the 80 pages of T&C's. Well good on ya.

I'm guessing most people think they have better things to do!

They might think that the AA, which markets itself as consumer champion, would not try anything sleazy like a buried auto renew clause.

They probably don't know that they are dealing with the private equity outfit Carlyle.

Private equity and consumer champion is a bit of contradiction!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The OP has not been back in five days and this is going around in circles

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement