If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips 21:9 remote and a problem with Denon CD Player.

Options
  • 25-12-2020 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, Happy Christmas and all that jazz.

2 problems to annoy you with :pac:

1. Having spent most of my free time over the last few weekends clearing the storage wars-like mess that my attic had become I sat down today to watch a movie on my 21:9. Despite not being touched in over 2 years (that's how bad the attic was) it turned on perfectly and looked as stunning as ever with the ambilight on etc. Only problem is the remote is completely dead - changed batteries etc., but no red light coming from it whatsoever. What are my chances of getting a replacement for this or a workable alternative?

2. Having failed to watch a movie I turned on my Denon CD Player which has been criminally underused (I'd honestly estimate it's had less than 4 hours total use since purchase). Threw in the first cd I could put my hands on and the first song was jumping badly so I ejected and assumed I'd find serious scratching on it but it was pristine. Assumed it was a hair or something so blew on the tray etc and tried again. Jumping again. Then silence and a crackling noise (no loud bang or anything and the display disappeared. Now nothing. Can turn it on but no display text and you can hear the crackling noise. Tray/Eject won't open. Realise it's likely going to have to be dropped off for repair so can you let me know how I start the ball rolling on that?

Thanks!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi all, Happy Christmas and all that jazz.

2 problems to annoy you with :pac:

1. Having spent most of my free time over the last few weekends clearing the storage wars-like mess that my attic had become I sat down today to watch a movie on my 21:9. Despite not being touched in over 2 years (that's how bad the attic was) it turned on perfectly and looked as stunning as ever with the ambilight on etc. Only problem is the remote is completely dead - changed batteries etc., but no red light coming from it whatsoever. What are my chances of getting a replacement for this or a workable alternative?

2. Having failed to watch a movie I turned on my Denon CD Player which has been criminally underused (I'd honestly estimate it's had less than 4 hours total use since purchase). Threw in the first cd I could put my hands on and the first song was jumping badly so I ejected and assumed I'd find serious scratching on it but it was pristine. Assumed it was a hair or something so blew on the tray etc and tried again. Jumping again. Then silence and a crackling noise (no loud bang or anything and the display disappeared. Now nothing. Can turn it on but no display text and you can hear the crackling noise. Tray/Eject won't open. Realise it's likely going to have to be dropped off for repair so can you let me know how I start the ball rolling on that?

Thanks!
    Thanks for the post ButtersSuki and I hope you had a good Christmas!

I will answer your queries in order!

1. We wouldn't stock this specific remote however we do have a One For All replacement remote which says it will work with all Philips TVs. You could certainly give this a go to see if it's compatible?

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203708-one-for-all-urc1913-philips-replacement-remote.aspx

2. For the Denon, did you purchase it from us? If so we can certainly get it repaired for you but if it's outside of warranty it would be a chargeable repair. It would be a £55 non refundable estimate fee to get it sent off and they will come back to us with a final quote. You can then let us know if you'd like to go ahead with it but the £55 would come out of the total quote cost.

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

1. We wouldn't stock this specific remote however we do have a One For All replacement remote which says it will work with all Philips TVs. You could certainly give this a go to see if it's compatible?

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203708-one-for-all-urc1913-philips-replacement-remote.aspx

2. For the Denon, did you purchase it from us? If so we can certainly get it repaired for you but if it's outside of warranty it would be a chargeable repair. It would be a £55 non refundable estimate fee to get it sent off and they will come back to us with a final quote. You can then let us know if you'd like to go ahead with it but the £55 would come out of the total quote cost.

Kind regards

David

Yup both purchased from your goodselves.

I’ll PM details in the next day or two.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Kind regards

David

Yup both purchased from your goodselves.

I’ll PM details in the next day or two.
    No problem ButterSuki.

Drop us a PM and we can take it from there.

Hi guys,

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you, work has overtaken life at the moment.
    Tried the new remote just now but no luck, it's not connecting. TV coming on but stuck on the main menu. Are there other avenues we can explore on this?

Tried the cd player before I was about to pack it up to send back to yourselves and miraculously it came back on. Played a cd and still some minor skipping (on a perfectly clean disc). I've just ordered a cd lens cleaner from amazon so if that arrives before the weekend I'll try that option before sending it bac,

Hi guys,

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you, work has overtaken life at the moment.
    Tried the new remote just now but no luck, it's not connecting. TV coming on but stuck on the main menu. Are there other avenues we can explore on this?

Tried the cd player before I was about to pack it up to send back to yourselves and miraculously it came back on. Played a cd and still some minor skipping (on a perfectly clean disc). I've just ordered a cd lens cleaner from amazon so if that arrives before the weekend I'll try that option before sending it bac,
    Hi ButtersSuki,

Sorry to hear the remote didn't work. If you let me know what model of projector it is I can see if there is a remote available for it?

No problem on the CD player, let me know how you get on!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Hi ButtersSuki,

Sorry to hear the remote didn't work. If you let me know what model of projector it is I can see if there is a remote available for it?

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

it's not a projector but rather one of the Philips 21:9 TVs.

i'm not sure of the exact model number but from memory there were only variants:
    https://www.philips.ie/c-p/58PFL9955H_12/cinema-219-led-tv-with-ambilight-spectra-3-and-perfect-pixel-hd-engine
    https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/56PFL9954H_12/cinema-219-lcd-tv-with-ambilight-spectra-3-and-perfect-pixel-hd-engine

Judging by the remote in the links above i have the first one, though not 100% sure.

I can send a picture of the original remote if that helps?

Hi guys,

Hi ButtersSuki,

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

it's not a projector but rather one of the Philips 21:9 TVs.

i'm not sure of the exact model number but from memory there were only variants:
    https://www.philips.ie/c-p/58PFL9955H_12/cinema-219-led-tv-with-ambilight-spectra-3-and-perfect-pixel-hd-engine
    https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/56PFL9954H_12/cinema-219-lcd-tv-with-ambilight-spectra-3-and-perfect-pixel-hd-engine

Judging by the remote in the links above i have the first one, though not 100% sure.

I can send a picture of the original remote if that helps?
    Hi ButtersSuki,

Yes please, PM me a photo and I'll check the model of it.

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

Doesn’t appear that you can send pics in PM anymore so sending here!

Hi David,

Doesn’t appear that you can send pics in PM anymore so sending here!
    Thanks for that ButtersSuki,

Do you have a closer pic of the info card as I can't read it from the pics!

Kind regards

David

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Butter,

I know the 21:9 well, I think you had the 56PFL9945 from memory, but unfortunately we do not have the replacement remote for that TV but it does look like there are some low cost generic ones available:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-58PFL9955-Replacement-Control-RemotesReplaced/dp/B007UHO4US

If that does not work you the distributor locally is Total Imports and they may be able to assist - or if you don't mind a second hand unit you could try the guys at Plasmacare in Dublin - they NEVER throw anything away and I'm pretty sure Seamus at Plasmacare would be able to sort you a replacement - he is a great guy and the place is a treasure trove!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Butter,

I know the 21:9 well, I think you had the 56PFL9945 from memory, but unfortunately we do not have the replacement remote for that TV but it does look like there are some low cost generic ones available:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-58PFL9955-Replacement-Control-RemotesReplaced/dp/B007UHO4US

If that does not work you the distributor locally is Total Imports and they may be able to assist - or if you don't mind a second hand unit you could try the guys at Plasmacare in Dublin - they NEVER throw anything away and I'm pretty sure Seamus at Plasmacare would be able to sort you a replacement - he is a great guy and the place is a treasure trove!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks John,

I've already tried one of the generics from yourselves so I'll skip the amazon step and go straight to Total Imports and Plasmacare.

Cheers!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Butter,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks John,

I've already tried one of the generics from yourselves so I'll skip the amazon step and go straight to Total Imports and Plasmacare.

Cheers!
    No problem at all ButtersSuki.

Fingers crossed you can get one located!!

gents,

Would you by any chance have phone numbers for those aforementioned companies? You can PM me if you don't want to make them public. Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Butter,

the first guy to check is Seamus at www.plasmacare.ie 

Great guy

Tell him we sent you and hopefully he will be able to assist

https://plasmacare.ie/

Dublin 01.460.5357

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.