Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does dry pet food go “off”

• 25-12-2020 10:54pm

I’ve a few different bags of good quality kibble opened (resealable) simply to vary the flavours- duck lamb fish etc
    As it’s a small bred but 4 kg bags just wondering have I made an error - be a few months getting through it all as only using about 100grns per day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

I’ve a few different bags of good quality kibble opened (resealable) simply to vary the flavours- duck lamb fish etc
    As it’s a small bred but 4 kg bags just wondering have I made an error - be a few months getting through it all as only using about 100grns per day
    if it's kept in air tight containers.... No

smilerf wrote: »
    if it's kept in air tight containers.... No

It’s just in their original bags but they have a clippy seal on them- deffo not air tight. I know all food goes off eventually- if I rephrased the question, how long does dry kibble last once the bag is opened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Is there a use by or best before date on the bag (I'm sure you probably checked)?

daheff wrote: »
    Is there a use by or best before date on the bag (I'm sure you probably checked)?

Those dates are purely for when the bag is unopened. Just googled my question and apparently 6 weeks is the typical max time a bag of kibble is good before oxidation sets in- would be interested in other users views, especially those of small bred dogs who don’t eat more than say 120 grams a day- I might have just made a quite expensive mistake here by having all the bags opened at once- it will be months before they’re all finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

We use air tight tuppaware
    Can last months and inexpensive too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

i would buy a big airtight box and mix the lot (if you have opened all the bags) into it that way its all sealed and mixed for eay use and has variety all in one. But going forward best to buy 1 bag and add the variety with tinned or fresh meat or mackeral from Tesco 52 cent a tin

Thanks for all the contributions guys. I'll be sticking to smaller bags from now on- daily costs aren't much as dog is small breed so savings on purchasing big bags are outweighed by the food remaining fresh. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have frozen this for that reason ( dry cat food) with success.

Advertisement