Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland???? Maybe??

Options
  • 25-12-2020 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,
    First post here.
    I am in the early stages of looking to potentially move to Ireland. Being an avid target shooter, where I look to be based will depend on the proximity to ranges.
    Is there a club directory anywhere?
    My disciplines are target rifle upto 1000yds, ISSF 300M, ISSF 50M Prone, NSRA 25 & 100yd, plus air rifle / pistol.
    I have seen the Midlands centre and I have a few potential jobs in that area, but where would be my "dream" area to move to (shooting wise)? I am lucky that my current ranges are very picturesque and would hope there are ranges like it in Ireland.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Richard308

Midlands is only 1000m range as far as I know. Picturesque is an Riocht in Kerry. But windy. 300m

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

jinmkjjgg wrote: »
    Hi all,
    First post here.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Is there a club directory anywhere?
    Right here.
    My disciplines are target rifle upto 1000yds, ISSF 300M, ISSF 50M Prone, NSRA 25 & 100yd, plus air rifle / pistol.
    Very eclectic range of interests.
    I have seen the Midlands centre and I have a few potential jobs in that area, but where would be my "dream" area to move to (shooting wise)?
    There is no one area for all you interests as sports target shooting in Ireland is broken into a thousand pieces.

The Midlands have everything from 10 yards up to 1,200 yards with everything in between. Their focus with regard to rifle shooting is on F-Class, sporting rifle, Benchrest (BR), etc. Now that sounds fairly small but they do shotgun shooting, rimfire rifle, centrefire and rimfire pistol and a host of other disciplines, but i'm trying to keep within your sphere of interest. For example there are pistol comps, but they're not ISSF/NTSA ones. However there are rifle competitions on the range run by the NTSA as well as a few other ranges like Rathdrum. So your best bet is to speak to them on that front.
    I am lucky that my current ranges are very picturesque and would hope there are ranges like it in Ireland..
    Not sure where you are moving from but Ireland is not like say, America. Our ranges, for the most part, are small and usually nestled well away from civilization. However Ireland being a small country that usually means about 5 to 15 miles from the nearest town.

The Midlands range is the biggest in the country and the range operators have taken great steps to make the range as visually appealing as it is for shooting on with the addition of lakes, conservation areas, and restoration of lands. You can find information on their Facebook page.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jinmkjjgg

Cass wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

Right .

Very eclectic range of interests.

There is no one area for all you interests as sports target shooting in Ireland is broken into a thousand pieces.

The Midlands have everything from 10 yards up to 1,200 yards with everything in between. Their focus with regard to rifle shooting is on F-Class, sporting rifle, Benchrest (BR), etc. Now that sounds fairly small but they do shotgun shooting, rimfire rifle, centrefire and rimfire pistol and a host of other disciplines, but i'm trying to keep within your sphere of interest. For example there are pistol comps, but they're not ISSF/ ones. However there are rifle competitions on the range run by the NTSA as well as a few other ranges like Rathdrum. So your best bet is to speak to them on that front.

Not sure where you are moving from but Ireland is not like say, America. Our ranges, for the most part, are small and usually nestled well away from civilization. However Ireland being a small country that usually means about 5 to 15 miles from the nearest town.

The Midlands range is the biggest in the country and the range operators have taken great steps to make the range as visually appealing as it is for shooting on with the addition of lakes, conservation areas, and restoration of lands. You can find information on their .

Thanks for the replies,

I wouldnt be moving from far away, but im definitely not English (trying to get away from them! lol)
    My disciplines are basically what was available in my area. Started of with air rifle many years ago and then progressed onto 25yd .22 rifle the .308 target rifle, 300m thrown in for a bit of cross over. effectively I currently only shoot static circles form the prone position. I would like to try different disciplines too.

How likely am I to get a firearms licence relatively quickly. I should say that I am a current licence holder where I am. Ive read some information that it is a simple visit to the local Gardia. Initially I would be renting accomodation and bring my current cabinets with me.
    What type of rifle requires a licence and counts towards the limits for needing an alarm fitted? I would have 4 rifles of.22 or larger plus a few air rifle and an air pistol. No shotguns.

Ranges out in the country would be great. not wanting to spend lots of time in a dirty muddy derelict quarry surrounded by rubbish landfill sites.

If it wasnt for Covid I would be able to visit and do some proper house hunting and recces, but unfortunately its going to be the estateagent and recruitment company doing this for me.

jinmkjjgg wrote: »
    How likely am I to get a firearms licence relatively quickly.
    You have to be resident for 6 months before you can apply so that is your first hurdle. After that you can apply and it can take, according to AGS up to three months. This can go quicker or slower depending on district.
    I should say that I am a current licence holder where I am.
    Won't really matter other than to act as your previous experience which you must show when applying otherwise you may be asked to do a safety course.
    Ive read some information that it is a simple visit to the local Gardia.
    You can get the FCA1 application form from your local Garda station or online. You fill it out, guide to that here, and submit it to your local station.
    Initially I would be renting accomodation and bring my current cabinets with me.
    Its up to the Superintendent of each district what security they deem necessary. A full list of the minimum security requirements can be found here.
    What type of rifle requires a licence and counts towards the limits for needing an alarm fitted?
    Any rifle capable of firing a projectile over 1 joule is classed as a firearms. It means unless its a kids toy, you need a license for it and this includes ALL air rifles, air pistols, all rimfire rifles and all centre fire rifles.

A rifle requires owning a safe at a MINIMUM. The important part of all security is the word minimum as the requirements laid out are the basics requirements you must have BEFORE applying. A Superintendent may impose higher security if s/he deems it necessary.

A single rifle (restricted or unrestricted), as said above, will only require a safe at a minimum. More than three unrestricted rifles or two restricted rifles will require a safe and alarm in the place the rifles are stored. Anymore than 5 unrestricted rifles or 2 restricted rifles will require a house alarm with monitoring.
    I would have 4 rifles of.22 or larger plus a few air rifle and an air pistol. No shotguns.
    So you would have more than 6 firearms, seemingly all unrestricted so that places you in the highest security level. That means safes (plural), a home alarm system, for that system to be monitored by an approved company and have a GSM backup system.

However all that is academic as your ability to license all those firearms at once would be, awkward, but no impossible. There is no restriction on the amount of firearms you can own nor the frequency with which you apply however if you have fulfilled the 6 month residency criteria and then apply for approx. 9 to 10 firearms at all once you will definitely be asked into a meeting with the local Superintendent and may find they are only willing to license them one at a time over a specified period of time rather than all at once. However i could be wrong, as there is no limit but the Super has the last word and with you being new tot he country its really a guessing game as to how it goes.

Plus you have to apply for each firearm separately as each firearm requires its own license in Ireland. So if you have 10 guns its ten licenses from ten applications.

I'm not sure where you're coming from, Country wise, cut Ireland has some of the strictest gun laws in the world with no American style 2nd amendment. The process is slow and long and as said above its one gun, one license system so even if you applied for each gun individually and had to wait the three months for each you're looking at 2.5 years to get them all licensed plus an additional 6 months (so three years minimum) for all the license and the waiting period of 6 months.

Now the longer you're here the quicker your applications usually go and at some point you can start to apply for two or three at a time which may cut the overall length of time to license all your firearms by over a year but the question then becomes what to do with your firearm till then.

Well you can apply, if coming from the EU, for a visitors pass for all guns, store them in a registered firearm dealers (RFDs) and pay the yearly fee then start the clock on the residency criteria. Once the 6 months are up start applying for the licenses for the guns and when your visitors pass expires the guns can still be stored in the RFD while you apply for a permanent importation license for whatever guns remain in the RFDs and then license them at your leisure.

Now the above info is only best guess. I've never met anyone in such a position (so many guns and wanting to move here with them) so its best to get proper advice before doing anything.

One last piece of advice. Get the "official" word from An Gardaí but check here before acting on that word. There have been cases when people have not been given the best or proper advice and things went bad quick. So double or treble check everything with as many sources as you can before making any decisions.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭no_4

Once again cass has saved a punter a lot of time and effort in research , the op owes him a few pints!

• Advertisement

Thank you Cass, very helpful.
    I have been doing a huge amount of research, but also waisted alot of time getting nowhere sometimes. Looking to move to a different country into an area that you have never visited before, trying to sort out housing, schools, work permits, employment etc etc is no small task.
    You have been able to answer questions that I could search for hours for.
    Thanks again

no_4 wrote: »
    Once again cass has saved a punter a lot of time and effort in research , the op owes him a few pints!

If / when i finally get my new life sorted, will probably owe many people a few pints and favours which I would be very glad to make good on.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Just thinking - if the OP stored the firearms with an RFD who has a range attached, could he at least shoot them at the said range...

An Riocht for example..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You'd want a fairly decent landlord to allow you to install multiple safes in their property. Ireland isn't like other countries for renting. Ireland is usually fully furnished rentals and you can do nothing to the property without the consent of the landlord.

Just thinking - if the OP stored the firearms with an RFD who has a range attached, could he at least shoot them at the said range....
    Most ranges have storage facilities so its a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

If your looking to settle here and want to be near the 2 best ranges in the country then how about somewhere between The Midlands near Tulamore, and Harbour House Sports Club near Athy.
    The Midlands for longer range, 50m, 100m, 200y, 300m, 600m, and 1200m (might be 1000m) and 25m for handgun.
    Harbour House for shorter range, 50m, 50m,100m and 25m for handgun. They also have 2 firearm dealers onsite.

Both have armories for firearm stoarage.

Advertisement