Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two children using switches - how to manage with Nintendo accounts?

Options
  • 26-12-2020 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭

I think others will have encountered this.
    I've looked at IGN vids and that trying to get it working but I'm failing.
    I've two kids using switches now after Santa. Previously just the one.
    A game that is confusing my situation is "among us".

It's bought on one of them and there's a monthly Nintendo membership in there too.

Now I want the second one to be able to get in on that and play too.

I could buy the annual family pass from Nintendo so they can get online but I'm not sure how to get it all going?

Do I have to buy the game a second time on the second switch or what?
    Should there be two profiles set up on the Nintendo online account?

Thanks for any input here. Just confused and today didn't go as well as I'd have liked :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I think others will have encountered this.
    I've looked at IGN vids and that trying to get it working but I'm failing.
    I've two kids using switches now after Santa. Previously just the one.
    A game that is confusing my situation is "among us".

It's bought on one of them and there's a monthly Nintendo membership in there too.

Now I want the second one to be able to get in on that and play too.

I could buy the annual family pass from Nintendo so they can get online but I'm not sure how to get it all going?

Do I have to buy the game a second time on the second switch or what?
    Should there be two profiles set up on the Nintendo online account?

Thanks for any input here. Just confused and today didn't go as well as I'd have liked :o

Got the family membership for the kids today. You set one account as the main account for the family membership and link any other accounts to the main one. The instructions are easy enough to follow on the nintendo website and you can buy a full year membership for Europe for about €30 on the likes of Eneba or Instant gaming. Pay for the membership and you'll get a code to put in on the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I'll go at it again so.
    Do you buy multiple copies of the games for example "among us"?
    It's only a fiver but if I get in the habit I'll be buying double copies of them all and I may not need to

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'll go at it again so.
    Do you buy multiple copies of the games for example "among us"?
    It's only a fiver but if I get in the habit I'll be buying double copies of them all and I may not need to

You’ll need a copy of each game for each console if they want to play at the same time

If you buy a physical game, you can swap that between them but they can’t play at the same time

The Nintendo account is effectively for online access only. In fairness the family rate is fairly cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just to follow on from this.

I have the Nintendo family membership and I'm the main holder, my 2 daughters are linked to the account as children. If I buy Among us (or any other game) through my account can they then download it for free to their own switches?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Following up on this.
    I have among us bought from the main account.
    On the switch that uses the main account there are two profiles for the kids.
    On the second switch the same account is signed in and again the two profiles are there.
    They both happily play the game at the same time using the one account on different switches.
    So I'm happy with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Can among us be played in a 2 person mode with the one Nintendo Switch on the tv?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

No, the game relies heavily on not being able to see the other players screens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I think game sharing let's you play a single digital purchase on two switches. Never done it myself but seems easy enough. There's a few caveats and it looks like it's worth trying out

Edit: just noticed the original post was from last year. I'll leave it up in case it's of use to someone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Found this bit doesn't work for me:

"Another thing to note is that both consoles cannot play the same game at the same time when they’re logged into a single account. However, this does not apply to a second Nintendo account. If you make another account on the secondary device and select it whenever you play, both devices can run the same game simultaneously. However, to play online multiplayer together, you need a second Nintendo Switch Online subscription."

2nd account was told it cant play the game

Advertisement