Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another full lockdown looming? - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Level 5, with so much still open won’t bring down the numbers so, if that is the governments objective, I don’t see any option but for the full lockdown. Having said that, there’s not much point in it if schools ate open.

Government has a big decision to make. Stick with the levels and stubbornly high (1000?) numbers through Jan, or lock down like last year.

Dunno which way they’ll go, but I fear the latter

With pubs and hospitality closed and people not mixing in private homes the numbers should come down. Not sure what will be gained by a lockdown like last April except cost more jobs and more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Level 5, with so much still open won’t bring down the numbers so, if that is the governments objective, I don’t see any option but for the full lockdown. Having said that, there’s not much point in it if schools ate open.

Government has a big decision to make. Stick with the levels and stubbornly high (1000?) numbers through Jan, or lock down like last year.

Dunno which way they’ll go, but I fear the latter

1k cases per day now is not quite the same as 1k / day 8-10 weeks ago or last March/April. We are testing and tracing faster and more efficiently than 8-10 weeks ago. The R number is critical if we can get that below one we can manage the outcome. Sharp fall in case numbers is really only required when the surges get out of control.

The important thing is to get to a number that we can stabilise the infection at with keeping as much if the economy open as possible.

We struggle to get case numbers below 400/ day in late November. I think the government and NPHET would be happy with an R number below 1 and case numbers in the 5-700 bracket. The bugbear is the new infective variation of the virus and the effect that will have on the R number and the numbers

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Is working from home restrictions still in place? Was meant to be going back to the office in the new year but guess I’ll be remote for a while longer now

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Is working from home restrictions still in place? Was meant to be going back to the office in the new year but guess I’ll be remote for a while longer now
    You should work from home unless essential for work, which is an essential health, social care or other essential service and cannot be done from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Good news ... The Tánaiste has implied that non-essential retail and gyms will stay open, the benefits outweigh the minor difference to case numbers. He's right.
    "On the decision to allow non-essential retail outlets to remain open, the Tánaiste said that if Nphet advised that “closing non-essential retail would only make a small difference in cases then you have to ask is it worth all the other consequences and bear in mind any restrictions we have in place now are going to be there for a prolonged period, now we have the vaccine”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

JTMan wrote: »
    Good news ... The Tánaiste has implied that non-essential retail and gyms will stay open, the benefits outweigh the minor difference to case numbers. He's right.

Playing devils advocate, he is the Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment so I wouldn't put too much faith in that quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Good news ... that non-essential retail and gyms will stay open, the benefits outweigh the minor difference to case numbers. He's right.

At least some common sense has prevailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What's 'worrying' about them exactly?

In a country of nearly 5 million there are a couple of dozen in ICU.

There were over double the amount in people in hospital with seasonal flu 3 years ago without the country grinding to a halt.

Highest amount of case numbers, highest amounts of Deaths, Paul Reid starts the day all excited about vaccines in cardboard boxes, Leo puts a spanner in the works, Paul Reid ends the day stating ALARMING Numbers seeking tests, sure what's to worry about

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Excellent, so it’ll be almost impossible to get a bus to and from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

The talk earlier in the thread of everyone being vaccinated by March is insanely naive/wrong. The Sunday Business Post published an apparently very accurate schedule for Ireland a few days ago:

Jp16hSI.jpg

And thats if everything goes to plan and there are no delays, which is extremely unlikely. You can probably add months to that timeline in the real world.

Anyone advocating for a full lockdown in January has to accept that by doing so they're advocating for a full lockdown for most of 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Your idiotic response and inability to actually respond to the points raised says more about your argument than mine to be honest.

Not an uncommon thing among those who spend more time bothering themselves about what others are doing I'll grant you.

Exactly, it's all they've got, anyone with any criticism of the hysteria and that aren't full on lockdown Larry/Bunker Bernie types are inbred yokels that believe the earth is flat, moon landings never happened and 5G is the cause of all this - oh yeah something about Bill Gates wanted to implant chips in us..

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

With pubs and hospitality closed and people not mixing in private homes the numbers should come down. Not sure what will be gained by a lockdown like last April except cost more jobs and more money.

Money, money, money, money, money...economy, economy, economy....

This is a public health emergency. The economy doesn't matter a dam. Nor does money. The public health officials have a single objective - protecting lives.

Everyone arguing against lock-downs never recognizes the opportunity cost of opening up the economy - it means disease and death.

The same people who are arguing that everything should be open are perfectly fine with locking down nursing homes and hospitals.

You don't see a crisis - you can't see beyond the $$$

This is a public health emergency. The economy doesn't matter a dam. Nor does money. The public health officials have a single objective - protecting lives.

Everyone arguing against lock-downs never recognizes the opportunity cost of opening up the economy - it means disease and death.

The same people who are arguing that everything should be open are perfectly fine with locking down nursing homes and hospitals.

If this is a PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY, why are vaccines sitting in a freezer somewhere til Tuesday? That doesn’t seem very urgent.

I don't really understand why people are so anti-lockdown in the first place to be honest. The government seem to have (financial) supports in place to cater for the vast, vast majority of people. I'm self employed, all we generally get are laughed at when it comes to supports and protections, but the govt. have given me the PUP payment straight away.

Im not sure who level 5 is actually detrimental to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

If this is a PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY, why are vaccines sitting in a freezer somewhere til Tuesday? That doesn’t seem very urgent.

Please spell out the difference it would make if they had started vaccinating today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't really understand why people are so anti-lockdown in the first place to be honest. The government seem to have (financial) supports in place to cater for the vast, vast majority of people. I'm self employed, all we generally get are laughed at when it comes to supports and protections, but the govt. have given me the PUP payment straight away.

Im not sure who level 5 is actually detrimental to?

Its detrimental to a lot of peoples mental health imo

Not being able to meet colleagues, friends or families for weeks and months on end is quite lonely

The economy doesn’t matter... Really?

Allinall wrote: »
    Please spell out the difference it would make if they had started vaccinating today.

Public buy-in, they’re getting it done ASAP. If it wasn’t for public outcry it would still be Wednesday til they started. It can’t be that much of an emergency if they’re sitting on vaccines and then in the future only providing them 9-5. Doesn’t sound too urgent.

Stheno wrote: »
    Its detrimental to a lot of peoples mental health imo

Not being able to meet colleagues, friends or families for weeks and months on end is quite lonely

But you shouldn't need to be told to not meet them. Surely people should have the cop on regardless of what 'level' we're in, to behave responsibly? We all know how the virus works.

If I'm an 'at risk' person, or I'm close to one, I'm not gonna go to a house party just because the government decide to pull back to level 1. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Public buy-in, they’re getting it done ASAP. If it wasn’t for public outcry it would still be Wednesday til they started. It can’t be that much of an emergency if they’re sitting on vaccines and then in the future only providing them 9-5. Doesn’t sound too urgent.

So effectively no difference.

How do you know they brought it forward to Tuesday because of public outcry?

Allinall wrote: »
    So effectively no difference.

How do you know they brought it forward to Tuesday because of public outcry?

Because they said it would start on Wednesday, then there was public outcry, then they changed it to Tuesday. Why has the rest of the EU started vaccinating asap?

They have to transport them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The economy doesn’t matter... Really?

I do believe the poster means the economy doesn't matter when compared to saving lives.

I can see where they are coming from. On paper at least, the protection of human life is of the utmost importance. Sadly in reality it would appear the value of life isn't worth much in this world. A topic in itself I guess.

Of course no level headed person wants a recession. This is all about a balance I think. On one hand if you keep locking everything down for months and months that's not gonna be great. People will lose jobs and their homes. On the flip side of the coin if we don't have any lockdowns then thousands can die.

Supporting and disagreeing with lockdowns isn't a black and white topic I feel.

bubblypop wrote: »
    They have to transport them.

Ah sorry, I forgot the weekend transport ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Would not make much sense having it at longer everyday given the limited amount we be getting. Do agree they could have started earlier. No one us jumping the queue anyway

Would not make much sense having it at longer everyday given the limited amount we be getting. Do agree they could have started earlier. No one us jumping the queue anyway

When we are getting 50/70k they’ll still only be administering it 9-5 according to their plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

When we are getting 50/70k they’ll still only be administering it 9-5 according to their plan.

I agree it should be longer especially when getting to the other groups who may be working but 12 hour max. What hours are other countries doing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

What pays for hospitals? What pays doctors and nurses? What pays social benefits? What pays for roads? And water? And waste disposal? And traffic lights? All those public services require tax revenues. Money.

Close things down unnecessarily and all this will mean less doctors and nurses and hospitals and adverse health impacts which are far beyond the risks...

• Advertisement

Ah sorry, I forgot the weekend transport ban.

It's Christmas weekend. How many people do you think want to work if they don't have to?
    Monday they will transport them, to start vaccinating on Tuesday. Seems reasonable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement