Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another full lockdown looming? - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Stheno wrote: »
    I agree its not a them and us, and have complied with the restrictions

What I'm sick of is the extremists on both viewpoints who twist what people say

The most at risk will be vaccinated and I think that is the right thing to do. However, many of the low risk will not be vaccinated until later and will see certain freedoms continue to be constrained such as travel beyond the EU to see family etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I agree with you that there is a growing resentment against people like yourself who are in favor of keeping the restrictions in place for everyone. I think what you are failing to grasp is while we do have sympathy for someone in your position, we fail to see why we should have to join you in isolating ourselves, when we and our close contacts are not high risk or any risk really. It comes across like you think because you cant get on with your life you don't want anyone else to get on with theirs either, not until its safe for you at any rate. That in my view is why the resentment is building against your position.

Who is this hive "we"? Considering the huge numbers of people of all ages in this country with underlyling conditions and where that risk is relative - a very naive and generalised view tbf.

It remains the single most important thing in this is that our health services do not become overrun so those most serious cases can be looked after. Its not rocket science.

The most at risk will be vaccinated and I think that is the right thing to do. However, many of the low risk will not be vaccinated until later and will see certain freedoms continue to be constrained such as travel beyond the EU to see family etc.

Who is stopping you travelling outside the EU? The EU isn't AFAIK.

gozunda wrote: »
    Who is this hive "we"? Considering the huge numbers of people of all ages in this country with underlyling conditions and where that risk is relative - a very naive and generalised view tbf.

It remains the single most important thing in this is that our health services do not become overrun so those most serious cases can be looked after. Its not rocket science.

It is indeed not rocket science but it's all too easy to forget how thick stupid so many are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Augeo wrote: »

I think the US still bans travel.from the EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Airlines and other countries will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It is indeed not rocket science but it's all too easy to forget how thick stupid so many are.

It is amusing that those who are preeching the greater good and empathy are often the ones who immediately insult anyone who doesn't fully agree with their position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

In fairness it is hard to believe you couldn't get groceries delivered. On top of all the Supermarkets that offer delivery there is a plethora of charities and community groups tripping over themselves to offer these services to anyone in need.

As well as every GAA club in the country. Almost every parish has a GAA club

AdamD wrote: »
    It is amusing that those who are preeching the greater good and empathy are often the ones who immediately insult anyone who doesn't fully agree with their position.

I'm not any way empathetic but I'll call out think cnuts no problem.

Airlines and other countries will.

Right, can't really blame anyone in here for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Anyone know of someone that appears disappointed the numbers aren't hitting closer to 2000 yet? "Any day now we will be at 2k"; "wait for tomorrow ". I think some people are going to need to find real hobbies when this ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The second slowest country in Europe when it comes to vaccinations. NPHET can go **** themselves bleating on about more lockdowns. Time for them to pull the finger out!

• GazzaL wrote: »
    The second slowest country in Europe when it comes to vaccinations. NPHET can go **** themselves bleating on about more lockdowns. Time for them to pull the finger out!

NPHET don’t have anything to do with the vaccine. That’s the HSE - and they’re doing it as quickly as they can, remember also we were provided with only a few thousand doses.

I understand everyone wants to jsut get the vaccine, the reality is though it’s not as simple as just deliver it and start lining people up for their shot.

If I recall correctly, earlier this year it was said the vaccines weren’t due till sometime in early/mid 2021, but the first are being administered tomorrow.

The thing is vaccinated or not we’ll probably be practicing social distancing and so on for a long time to come. You need two doses of the vaccine for it work & they have to be taken a month apart, so, it takes two months to fully vaccinate someone, at least.

This is a medicine, not just magic syrup from the anti-covid tree in Wuhan, like. If they rush it out the door without the correct safety checks and whatnot there could be dire consequences & that would lead to people being afraid of it, perhaps even more than covid itself.

NPHET don’t have anything to do with the vaccine. That’s the HSE - and they’re doing it as quickly as they can, remember also we were provided with only a few thousand doses.

I understand everyone wants to jsut get the vaccine, the reality is though it’s not as simple as just deliver it and start lining people up for their shot.

If I recall correctly, earlier this year it was said the vaccines weren’t due till sometime in early/mid 2021, but the first are being administered tomorrow.

The thing is vaccinated or not we’ll probably be practicing social distancing and so on for a long time to come. You need two doses of the vaccine for it work & they have to be taken a month apart, so, it takes two months to fully vaccinate someone, at least.

Are you aware of who makes up NPHET? NPHET oversee the country's response to the pandemic.

Ah sure if it was said earlier this year that vaccines weren't due until mid-2021, why are we even starting to vaccinate people tomorrow? Why not wait a few months and be the slowest in Europe. FFS!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This is a medicine, not just magic syrup from the anti-covid tree in Wuhan, like. If they rush it out the door without the correct safety checks and whatnot there could be dire consequences & that would lead to people being afraid of it, perhaps even more than covid itself.

Pfizer vaccine is three weeks apart ? Where are you getting at least two months from?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Stheno wrote: »
    Pfizer vaccine is three weeks apart ? Where are you getting at least two months from?

Quote:

The Pfizer vaccine showed efficacy of 95% at preventing symptomatic Covid infection, measured starting from seven days after the second dose was administered.

So yeah 4 weeks in total

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

GazzaL wrote: »
    Are you aware of who makes up NPHET? NPHET oversee the country's response to the pandemic.

Ah sure if it was said earlier this year that vaccines weren't due until mid-2021, why are we even starting to vaccinate people tomorrow? Why not wait a few months and be the slowest in Europe. FFS!

I am but it doesn't seem like you are. They have nothing to do with vaccines or the rollout. They were given to remits by government. To advise on what measures will be necessary to keep the healthcare system functioning and to keep the schools open. It's up to the HSE to sort the vaccines.

Nothing is good enough for some people. They hold everyone to impossibly high standards except themselves. When this is all over it'll be the guidance of doctors and scientists that got us through it but some will still abuse them at every turn.

• Stheno wrote: »

As I understood it, you had one dose & a month later you and the second. But you were only “fully” vaccinated against covid-19 shortly after the second dose.

• GazzaL wrote: »

Yeah, that’s exactly what I was saying. Sure let’s all be outraged about it and ignore every other point I made regarding the timeline. Sure tell you what, scrap all the checks and balances and just post the vaccine out to people and let them take it themselves!

It was approved in Europe, a week ago? two weeks? We just got our shipment a few days ago, vaccinations start tomorrow, be as pissy as you want about it - but direct it to the correct people.

As I understood it, you had one dose & a month later you and the second. But you were only “fully” vaccinated against covid-19 shortly after the second dose.

That's not correct its three weeks apart for the doses and 95% efficacy a week after the second dose so thats one month not at least 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

MadYaker wrote: »
    I am but it doesn't seem like you are. They have nothing to do with vaccines or the rollout. They were given to remits by government. To advise on what measures will be necessary to keep the healthcare system functioning and to keep the schools open. It's up to the HSE to sort the vaccines.

Nothing is good enough for some people. They hold everyone to impossibly high standards except themselves. When this is all over it'll be the guidance of doctors and scientists that got us through it but some will still abuse them at every turn.

:rolleyes:

What 'got us through this' is that Covid has an infection fatality rate of 0.23%.

The arse-covering response by politicians and NPHET bureaucrats will almost certainly lead to more deaths in the medium to long-term.

The fact it's all been brayed on by the social-media clappy-seals is almost funny were it not so tragic.

The same lads will be singing a different tune in a year or so when the full costs of this madness are being paid for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

GreeBo wrote: »
    But that is up to you. What's not up to you is how much you are willing to risk spreading covid to everyone else.

Seriously, this is pretty fundamental stuff that people should understand by now...:mad:

But if others take the precautions they are not gonna catch it. If I spread covid to someone I know I'm spreading it to someone who dosen't mind catching it if they are not taking the nessecary precautions ie. that's their problem not mine same if I catch my problem not theirs.

MadYaker wrote: »

Let's go along with your pedantic point that NPHET have **** all to do with the vaccine roll-out despite being the steering committee for the country's response to COVID and being comprised of many senior members of the HSE.

Anyone who defends the second slowest vaccine roll-out in Europe and the calls for lockdowns which are destroying jobs and businesses has pathetically low standards. Embarrasingly low standards.

That's not correct its three weeks apart for the doses and 95% efficacy a week after the second dose so thats one month not at least 2

If it’s 3 weeks apart that would be 6 weeks no? So a month a half.

It’s semantics at this stage, the point I was making is it’s not have the shot and you can go lick door handles in hospitals.

If it’s 3 weeks apart that would be 6 weeks no? So a month a half.

It’s semantics at this stage, the point I was making is it’s not have the shot and you can go lick door handles in hospitals.

Maths are clearly not your strong point

Dose 1 is given on day one and the next dose 21 days later

So three weeks from start to finish and 95% efficacy 7 days later

So less than a month from start to finish

Maths are clearly not your strong point

Dose 1 is given on day one and the next dose 21 days later

So three weeks from start to finish and 95% efficacy 7 days later

So less than a month from start to finish

Sorry it’s one of those days :pac:

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I agree with you that there is a growing resentment against people like yourself who are in favor of keeping the restrictions in place for everyone. I think what you are failing to grasp is while we do have sympathy for someone in your position, we fail to see why we should have to join you in isolating ourselves, when we and our close contacts are not high risk or any risk really. It comes across like you think because you cant get on with your life you don't want anyone else to get on with theirs either, not until its safe for you at any rate. That in my view is why the resentment is building against your position.

So you would be happy only meeting your own close contacts and no other outside people? No shopping or public transport, no interacting with anyone else?
    Are you sure that your close contacts would also be happy only interacting with you and no one else?

In all likelihood I would be fine if I caught covid, but I don't know that my mother would be, or my 9 week old son, or the mother of the guy who works in the petrol station, etc etc.

TL;DR
    If close contacts meant what you think it means then contact teaching would be a simple job, it's not though, because absolutely everyone has a vast network of interactions that they aren't even aware of.
    If they didn't turn this disease wouldn't be spreading and/or the lockdown wouldn't impact that person anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

GreeBo wrote: »
    So you would be happy only meeting your own close contacts and no other outside people? No shopping or public transport, no interacting with anyone else?
    Are you sure that your close contacts would also be happy only interacting with you and no one else?

In all likelihood I would be fine if I caught covid, but I don't know that my mother would be, or my 9 week old son, or the mother of the guy who works in the petrol station, etc etc.

TL;DR
    If close contacts meant what you think it means then contact teaching would be a simple job, it's not though, because absolutely everyone has a vast network of interactions that they aren't even aware of.
    If they didn't turn this disease wouldn't be spreading and/or the lockdown wouldn't impact that person anyway.

Well that's the risk we choose to take. If your mother was so fearful of catching covid then she can tell her children not to come see her, tell her children they have to stay at home if they live with her and if they are not willing to comply fcuk them out of the house if that's what she wants.

All I want is the choice to take the risk of catching covid. If others don't want to take this risk that is not my problem they can stay at home.

GT89 wrote: »
    But if others take the precautions they are not gonna catch it. If I spread covid to someone I know I'm spreading it to someone who dosen't mind catching it if they are not taking the nessecary precautions ie. that's their problem not mine same if I catch my problem not theirs.

There is no 100% method of avoiding it, what if they try their best but still catch it from you?

• Advertisement

GT89 wrote: »
    Well that's the risk we choose to take. If your mother was so fearful of catching covid then she can tell her children not to come see her, tell her children they have to stay at home if they live with her and if they are not willing to comply fcuk them out of the house if that's what she wants.

All I want is the choice to take the risk of catching covid. If others don't want to take this risk that is not my problem they can stay at home.
    You are still missing the point, you want to risk others but those others don't want you to risk them!

The only way you can risk catching it is to interact with others, by doing so you are, by definition, also risking them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement