Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another full lockdown looming? - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

GreeBo wrote: »
    There is no 100% method of avoiding it, what if they try their best but still catch it from you?

Well then they obivously weren't trying hard enough were they? How the hell can they catch it from me if they stay in their house can covid come in by opening a window now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

You are still missing the point, you want to risk others but those others don't want you to risk them!

The only way you can risk catching it is to interact with others, by doing so you are, by definition, also risking them.

Plenty of people don't give a sh1t anymore perhaps never did in the first place even

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Stheno wrote: »
    Its simply unbelievable is all

Supervalu, Tesco, Lidl and Dunnes all do home deliveries.

And I see again no acknowledgement by you of other peoples efforts on behalf of people like you

Sickening tbh

Whilst it's true these business's do offer home delivery, it's not as straight forward as is being suggested. I live rural and due to a bad accident in May, I tried numerous times to get home delivery and just gave up. Some were NOT taking any new customers, Some were offering slots up to 3 weeks after order, Some didn't have half the items needed and Some delivering at absurd times.

I get the concept of shopping online for groceries but its only practical if you live in urban areas, have basic computing skills and have a pretty rigid regular shopping list.

I reverted to www.greatneighbor.com in the end

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Whilst it's true these business's do offer home delivery, it's not as straight forward as is being suggested. I live rural and due to a bad accident in May, I tried numerous times to get home delivery and just gave up. Some were NOT taking any new customers, Some were offering slots up to 3 weeks after order, Some didn't have half the items needed and Some delivering at absurd times.

I get the concept of shopping online for groceries but its only practical if you live in urban areas, have basic computing skills and have a pretty rigid regular shopping list.

I reverted to www.greatneighbor.com in the end

The poster i replied to stated they live in Dublin so hardly rural

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GT89 wrote: »
    Plenty of people don't give a sh1t anymore perhaps never did in the first place even

The vast majority of people do. Only a few diehard demented fringe conspiracists are still rambling about plandemic/just a flu etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well then they obivously weren't trying hard enough were they? How the hell can they catch it from me if they stay in their house can covid come in by opening a window now?

Ah, so you want them to sacrifice everything so that you can go do what you want?
    What if they work in a shop or drive a bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It can be hard to get a slot. I live in an urban area and there were times it was booked up for weeks. I was only trying Supervalu but they had no slots sometimes when I was looking.

True but I spoke to friends in Dublin (we're I'm from originally) and similar experiences. I'm not doubting the merits of online grocery shopping, just pointing out, not as straightforward as it seems and admitidly demand soared which offered it own challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Clearly a minority act like anti social assholes, the fact that we aren't overrun by this virus shows that it's not "plenty" of people though.

Typically in my experience, people who use language like that are trying to justify their own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

True but I spoke to friends in Dublin (we're I'm from originally) and similar experiences. I'm not doubting the merits of online grocery shopping, just pointing out, not as straightforward as it seems and admitidly demand soared which offered it own challenges.

Iirc shops started asking people to not do online shopping unless they were cocooning such was the level of demand. Shops couldnt keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pjohnson wrote: »
    Iirc shops started asking people to not do online shopping unless they were cocooning such was the level of demand. Shops couldnt keep up.

That was in March

Since then the shops have caught up

Anyone in the likes of Dublin saying they cannot do grocery shopping online now is an outlier tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

anytime I see your posts I just think "what an awful selfish arsehole"....

you're either just really thick or on the sociopathic scale... and have been fortunate enough not to have been affected by COVID other than the Government's lockdown measures..

no matter how much people explain their point or rationale, you revert back to the "me me me I'm being attacked" mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It can be hard to get a slot. I live in an urban area and there were times it was booked up for weeks. I was only trying Supervalu but they had no slots sometimes when I was looking.

Have you a GAA club near you?? They'd be happy to collect your "click and collect" and deliver it. People are just too socially awkward to ask for help. It's there for anyone that needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Have you a GAA club near you?? They'd be happy to collect your "click and collect" and deliver it. People are just too socially awkward to ask for help. It's there for anyone that needs it.

I don't need help I am replying to people who are implying a poster is lying about not being able to get a delivery because there were no slots.

Is this true? If so very nice to hear, I wasn't aware.

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/zrmzqqcth3zvq7xfr87b.pdf

I don't need help I am replying to people who are implying a poster is lying about not being able to get a delivery because there were no slots.

There are other ways to get deliveries that were well reported. GAA clubs is the one I remember most. Nobody, anywhere was in a position that there was no way to get food delivered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

faceman wrote: »

So back to like it was in April!?

So back to like it was in April!?

That seems to be where most of Europe is heading. Schools likely to close in England as (surprise surprise), SAGE says that they are significant drivers of infection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

That seems to be where most of Europe is heading. Schools likely to close in England as (surprise surprise), SAGE says that they are significant drivers of infection

If the virus is rampant in the community how could it not be in schools? Our politicians really are not that smart if they think it will stay outside of the walls of schools....just because they are schools!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    If the virus is rampant in the community how could it not be in schools? Our politicians really are not that smart if they think it will stay outside of the walls of schools....just because they are schools!!

Noone ever claimed what your post says.

What a load of nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Whatever happens with this new lockdown, I highly doubt they'll close the schools

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Well the government is loath to close the schools. It's the only thing they claim they got right. If the schools close, they basically got nothing right and they won't admit that.

Can't see how they can remain open myself. But they'll persevere with it rather than look incompetent.

Well then, the great deflection is finally revealed. NPHET/Government would have us believe the schools are natural kryptonite for Covid, while multiplying with alarming effect in the hospitality sector. Nothing to do with currying favour with parents who to want avoid minding children indoors during the winter months. Some truly appalling double standards here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Could we open pop-up shops and pubs in schools so that people can continue to make a living while benefitting from the immunity provided by school buildings?

Well then, the great deflection is finally revealed. NPHET/Government would have us believe the schools are natural kryptonite for Covid, while multiplying with alarming effect in the hospitality sector. Nothing to do with currying favour with parents who to want avoid minding children indoors during the winter months. Some truly appalling double standards here.

Love to see the evidence again that NHPET and the government claim covid doesn't exist in schools.

More lies and fake news.

So it's secondary schools only SAGE are saying should stay closed.

So not all schools like some here would lie and have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

You are still missing the point, you want to risk others but those others don't want you to risk them!

The only way you can risk catching it is to interact with others, by doing so you are, by definition, also risking them.

Had a conversation with the lady on the checkout of my local supervalu last night. All staff fully exposed to the torrents of shoppers since March, none confirmed with COVID let alone sick from it. All ages up to 65 working there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Local Garda Station will do it too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement