Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another full lockdown looming? - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

3-5 days that why they are now testing close contacts twice first as soon as possible after confirmation of bring a close contact and again after 5 day to pick up the vast majority of close contact infection

I thought they were only contacting close contacts from the previous 48 hours. Have I picked that up wrong?

I don't need help I am replying to people who are implying a poster is lying about not being able to get a delivery because there were no slots.

Thank you for jam-mac_jam, but lets just clear this up shall we?

I live in West Tallaght. The issue with home deliveries here was not a lack of available slots, it is that the main supermarkets refuse to do home deliveries here. Tesco withdrew home deliveries to some areas back in April 2019 and have consistently refused to reinstate them during the pandemic, even after representations from local TD's and councillors, and even though there is a high population of elderly people living in the area.

Supervalu are franchises and each sets the areas they deliver to. Not all offer home delivery, and not all can be ordered from online. The closest one that can be ordered from online is Knocklyon, and they do not deliver to my part of Tallaght. The local SV does have a delivery van but only for those who shop and pay instore, so defeats the purpose.

Two local Centra's did offer a limited home delivery for a while during the intital lockdown but were very quickly overwhelmed with the demand and very soon were turning people away. Within a few days they asked that only those who had to cocoon or were self-isolating use the delivery service. Same with the GAA and the Gardai (though I haven't seen a Garda since the start of this whole thing).

So, though I am high risk I don't fall into those categories. I depend on Click & Collect. The nearest Tesco C&C to me was originally was Roselawn in Blanchardstown, until Liffey Valley opened a C&C spot during the summer which at least meant I could get groceries without an M50 toll each way.

So now, I hope the know-it-all doubters who implied I was being untruthful about being able to get home deliveries, can get stuffed, which is about as politely as i can put it without incurring a thread ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I live in West Tallaght. The issue with home deliveries here was not a lack of available slots, it is that the main supermarkets refuse to do home deliveries here. Tesco withdrew home deliveries to some areas in April 2019 and have consistently refused to reinstate them during the pandemic, even though there is a high population of elderly people living in the area.

Supervalu are franchises and each sets the areas they deliver to. Not all offer home delivery, and not all can be ordered from online. The closest one that can be ordered from online is Knocklyon, and they do not deliver to my part of Tallaght. The local SV does have a delivery van but only for those who shop and pay instore, so defeats the purpose.

Two local Centra's did offer a limited home delivery for a while during the intital lockdown but were very quickly overwhelmed with the demand and very soon were turning people away. Within a few days they asked that only those who had to cocoon or were self-isolating use the delivery service. Same with the GAA and the Gardai (though I haven't seen a Garda since the start of this whole thing).

So, though I am high risk I don't fall into those categories. I depend on Click & Collect. The nearest Tesco C&C to me was originally was Roselawn in Blanchardstown, until Liffey Valley opened a C&C spot during the summer which at least meant I could get groceries without an M50 toll each way.

So now, I hope the know-it-all doubters who implied I was being untruthful about being able to get home deliveries, can get stuffed, which is about as politely as i can put it without incurring a thread ban.

Just in case you are not aware and understand the issues you have (Tesco do not deliver to me in central Dublin), Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl are now doing deliveries. May be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I thought they were only contacting close contacts from the previous 48 hours. Have I picked that up wrong?

No what I said was if you are declare a CC they test you twice as soon as possible after being declared one and at 5 days as if you are not infected at that stage it is unlikely you have got it

Slava Ukrainii

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I live in West Tallaght. The issue with home deliveries here was not a lack of available slots, it is that the main supermarkets refuse to do home deliveries here. Tesco withdrew home deliveries to some areas back in April 2019 and have consistently refused to reinstate them during the pandemic, even after representations from local TD's and councillors, and even though there is a high population of elderly people living in the area.

You have Tesco click and collect so you do have options to not go into a shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

GT89 wrote: »

I actually think it's handier, two hour window to collect so you're not sitting around waiting for someone to come.

Just in case you are not aware and understand the issues you have (Tesco do not deliver to me in central Dublin), Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl are now doing deliveries. May be an option.

Thank you Happydays, but Dunnes and Lidl only recently started to offer delivery via Buymie which is very expensive, as they mark up the price of goods and don't pass on instore offers like 2 for 1, etc. I honestly couldn't afford it or a weekly shop. Aldi isn't covered for my area.

I've managed the last nine or ten months with Click and Collect, so I'll stick with that. At least its minimum contact and outdoors.

So it's secondary schools only SAGE are saying should stay closed.

So not all schools like some here would lie and have you believe.

No, they’re talking about a new level 5 today, which is basically as things were last March, with all schools closed except for children of essential workers.

YOU are the one who has declared that anyone who is high risk should stay at home, not go to work and claim PUP (even though that is not possible) and get groceries home delivered just so you can wander around taking your chances with covid and "living your life".

Your lastest posts are truly shocking to me, and show you have no real understanding of how this virus spreads within communities, and you simply don't care anyway. Then you have the neck to put the responsibility on other people for getting infected if they "don't make enough efforts" to avoid the likes of you.

I'm not engaging with you any further, and I'm putting you on ignore. Please return the favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IntoTheAshtray

No what I said was if you are declare a CC they test you twice as soon as possible after being declared one and at 5 days as if you are not infected at that stage it is unlikely you have got it

I was tested yesterday as a close contact to someone I had met 7 days before.

Am I likely to require a second test now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was tested yesterday as a close contact to someone I had met 7 days before.

Am I likely to require a second test now?

They are no longer doing a second test on close contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

https://twitter.com/PTHosford/status/1343911143807606790

"Cabinet will meet tomorrow to discuss the worsening Covid-19 situation. A move to full on Level 5 within days is now "extremely likely" say sources."

What level are we in now anyway?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JMNolan wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/PTHosford/status/1343911143807606790

"Cabinet will meet tomorrow to discuss the worsening Covid-19 situation. A move to full on Level 5 within days is now "extremely likely" say sources."

4 I think

Non essential retail is allowed in four

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

JMNolan wrote: »
    The criteria have been chopped and changed so much that the number is meaningless.

Stheno wrote: »
    4 I think

Non essential retail is allowed in four

They have described it as level 5 minus.

5km limit, everything shut. Probably for a good number of weeks. This next 3 months is going to be the toughest of the whole thing, without a doubt

5km limit, everything shut. Probably for a good number of weeks. This next 3 months is going to be the toughest of the whole thing, without a doubt

Level 5 also means elite sports are gone also. Expect there will still be a degree of minus there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

This comment on Reddit Ireland brilliantly sums up the general confusion
    Then do it to fúck and have done with it. But do it right not the shíte we've seen lately. "If the wind blows from the east you may go to Penney's. Only when Saturn is in the third quadrant of Jupiter may you see your Nanny"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

the kelt wrote: »
    My cousin is a teacher who had symptoms and went thing the process doe of getting a test.

She was nearly 2 days waiting for the test and close to 2 days waiting for a result, she was isolating at this stage, the weekend before Christmas.

When asked where she could have co tracked the virus she explained how she had been isolating since finishing school on the Friday as she didn’t feel well and had literally only being nowhere other than the school and home over the few days before and nowhere since.

The reply was “well that’s nearly 4 days ago now so we can’t say for definite it was the school so we will just put down community transmission”

She questioned them quite firmly explaining she had not been anywhere else etc it could only be the school and she had concerns for others in the school only to be told it was community transmission and that’s it but if she had concerns she should perhaps inform other teachers and the principal.

So quite easy to keep cases low in certain areas when you fail to acknowledge them I suppose!

She’s fine now, bit annoyed to be locked down over Christmas but symptoms weren’t bad for here so she’s lucky.

Why am I not surprised. The categorisation of cases has been questionable from the start. Also the contract tracing team aren't medically professionals. This is the spec for a level 2 contact tracer

• Enhanced communication skills and telephone manner
    • Ability to compassionately empathise with the patient’s experience
    • Ability to remain calm while under pressure
    • Ability and willingness to work autonomously with minimal supervision
    • Attention to detail and commitment to maintaining the confidentiality required
    • An ability to input data in the HSE’s Contact Tracing software (training provided)
    • Clinical experience is not necessary and full training is provided.

The starting salary is €24,601

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Elessar

So its goodbye retail and gyms and hello maximum lockdown once again. Despite the government themselves saying retail being open doesn't have a significant impact on infections. What was Leo on about when he said prolonged restrictions must be sustainable?

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    So its goodbye retail and gyms and hello maximum lockdown once again. Despite the government themselves saying retail being open doesn't have a significant impact on infections. What was Leo on about when he said prolonged restrictions must be sustainable?

I'm guessing it will be four to six weeks of full level five then retail will reopen

I do think secondary schools should go online for that time though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Non-essential retail is a very low risk area for the spread of COVID, it has been open for months without issue, and we have been repeatedly told by the Government & NPHET that there is no issue with non-essential retail being open. Why are they considering shutting non-essential retail now, without any data? Have they not had a look around at the carnage caused by the previous lockdowns to this sector? It's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Not quite. Schools will be open

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

GazzaL wrote: »
    Non-essential retail is a very low risk area for the spread of COVID, it has been open for months without issue, and we have been repeatedly told by the Government & NPHET that there is no issue with non-essential retail being open. Why are they considering shutting non-essential retail now, without any data? Have they not had a look around at the carnage caused by the previous lockdowns to this sector? It's madness.

Exactly, if it was St John's would have an ambulance permanently outside the local Tesco with the engine running ready to bring the next member of staff away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

faceman wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised. The categorisation of cases has been questionable from the start. Also the contract tracing team aren't medically professionals. This is the spec for a level 2 contact tracer...

Yeh it really annoyed me early in the year when I enquired about volunteering... having the above plus experience from university in a form of contact tracing aswell as other apprioate training that I could not do it from home as they wanted people who could drive which I do understand from an infection control point of view. So I helped where I could instead early on explaining the concept to neighbours ,family and friends incase they are close contacts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

YOU are the one who has declared that anyone who is high risk should stay at home, not go to work and claim PUP (even though that is not possible) and get groceries home delivered just so you can wander around taking your chances with covid and "living your life".

Your lastest posts are truly shocking to me, and show you have no real understanding of how this virus spreads within communities, and you simply don't care anyway. Then you have the neck to put the responsibility on other people for getting infected if they "don't make enough efforts" to avoid the likes of you.

I'm not engaging with you any further, and I'm putting you on ignore. Please return the favour.

You do realise the risk of being outdoors is tiny and your not gonna catch covid in your car. I thought this was well known. You sound like the kind of person who wears a mask in your car with no one else in it.

For someone who accuses people of being selfish it seems rather ironic that you expect everyone to bend over backward to protect your health.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You do realise the risk of being outdoors is tiny and your not gonna catch covid in your car. I thought this was well known. You sound like the kind of person who wears a mask in your car with no one else in it.

For someone who accuses people of being selfish it seems rather ironic that you expect everyone to bend over backward to protect your health.

Mod:

Threadbanned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

Agree and Leo and Coveney have said it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

It’ll be the same as it was before Christmas. Construction and the like will still be Operating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's all about restricting people's movement - the real problem, as it has been for months, is household spread and socialising.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement