Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another full lockdown looming? - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Does it mean they're not?

Somebody posts evidence of problems in gyms abroad and people want evidence specifically from Ireland?

Will you refuse the vaccine until the results are replicated in an Irish trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    You would be amazed at how many other businesses under the guise of construction including were i work will stay open but are nothing to do with construction.
    From what I've seen companies get blanket essential worker status even if it is only some of employees who need to be on-site, and the bar for companies getting the status is rather low. I suspect that the majority of people who have such status don't actually need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

GazzaL wrote: »
    Non-essential retail is a very low risk area for the spread of COVID, it has been open for months without issue, and we have been repeatedly told by the Government & NPHET that there is no issue with non-essential retail being open. Why are they considering shutting non-essential retail now, without any data? Have they not had a look around at the carnage caused by the previous lockdowns to this sector? It's madness.

Wasn't non essential retail closed during the first and second lockdowns? I don't recall NPHET ever saying there is no issue with non essential retail and I can't find any quotes or articles where anyone from NPHET says that. Why are you assuming they don't have any data? NPHET don't publicise all the data they have. It seems to me like you aren't following things very closely so that's why you think it's madness. With 1500 cases announced today and hospitalisations rising fast do you not think it's somewhat understandable no?

boombang wrote: »
    Somebody posts evidence of problems in gyms abroad and people want evidence specifically from Ireland?

Will you refuse the vaccine until the results are replicated in an Irish trial?

Nice sidestep.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Or schools!

Fair point, but I think people can see schools have a greater social importance than gyms, pubs and restaurants. Going for a jog for a few weeks isn't going to kill anybody. I know not everyone can go running and I know not everyone is going for cardio. But, you know, it's a pandemic.

• Advertisement

PommieBast wrote: »
    From what I've seen companies get blanket essential worker status even if it is only some of employees who need to be on-site, and the bar for companies getting the status is rather low. I suspect that the majority of people who have such status don't actually need it.

I work for a large multinational and in my case this isn't true. Anybody that can work from home has been doing so since March (me). Id imagine it's the same for most large companies.

Nice sidestep.

I think the parallel is valid.

I think the parallel is valid.

In your head it is

In your head it is

That's where I think, in my head.

Please tell me why Irish-specific evidence is required to prove again what we know from abroad.

Please tell me why Irish-specific evidence is required to prove again what we know from abroad.

We better stop the vaccine rollout, none of the trials were carried out in Ireland, how do we know it'll work here!?!?

Honestly I despair for the human race sometimes.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

What 'got us through this' is that Covid has an infection fatality rate of 0.23%.

The arse-covering response by politicians and NPHET bureaucrats will almost certainly lead to more deaths in the medium to long-term.

The fact it's all been brayed on by the social-media clappy-seals is almost funny were it not so tragic.

The same lads will be singing a different tune in a year or so when the full costs of this madness are being paid for.

Still predicting economic doom eh? You're a slow learner.

Insert non sequitur question here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

MadYaker wrote: »
    We better stop the vaccine rollout, none of the trials were carried out in Ireland, how do we know it'll work here!?!?

Honestly I despair for the human race sometimes.

Hello Mr. Strawman

Insert non sequitur question here.

I'm not getting a clear answer to the question why we would need Irish specific evidence to know gyms are risky when we know that from abroad.

I'm not getting a clear answer to the question why we would need Irish specific evidence to know gyms are risky when we know that from abroad.

I didn't get a clear answer to mine. That was your choice. Either way, I've lost interest.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Hello Mr. Strawman

It's a strawman but I was making a point. If it spreads in gyms in other countries it would be foolish to assume that it doesn't also spread in gyms here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I didn't get a clear answer to mine. That was your choice. Either way, I've lost interest.

You got the answer.

You just didn't like it.

pjohnson wrote: »
    You got the answer.

You just didn't like it.

I didn't like it because it was a sidestep. I tend to lose interest when people pull that stunt.

The implication from my answer was clear. We have evidence presented earlier in the threads from abroad that gyms are associated with risk of transmission. In the absence of good reason to believe Irish gyms are different it seems a fair assumption that they would be the same.. That's an assumption, not evidence. However, I think it's not fair to assume that Irish gyms aren't a risk due to a absence of evidence.

The implication from my answer was clear. We have evidence presented earlier in the threads from abroad that gyms are associated with risk of transmission. In the absence of good reason to believe Irish gyms are different it seems a fair assumption that they would be the same.. That's an assumption, not evidence. However, I think it's not fair to assume that Irish gyms aren't a risk due to a absence of evidence.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I'm just done with it. I work abroad, essential. I've been home 4 times since September. I've had 5 days in Ireland where we haven't been in level 5 since then. It's soul destroying. I am requesting to go back to work because apart from seeing family, life at home has little value at the moment.

MadYaker wrote: »
    I work for a large multinational and in my case this isn't true. Anybody that can work from home has been doing so since March (me). Id imagine it's the same for most large companies.
    Seems pretty much up to the company. I think my own essential worker status (complete with letter from company) is bending the rules.

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I'm just done with it. I work abroad, essential. I've been home 4 times since September. I've had 5 days in Ireland where we haven't been in level 5 since then. It's soul destroying. I am requesting to go back to work because apart from seeing family, life at home has little value at the moment.
    In the late-spring I certainly went into the office far more than was strictly necessary, purely to maintain some semblance of work-life balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭vafankillar

one thing i'm confused about is why nphet want to keep schools open but so many nphet strict restriction supporters want them closed? if they trust nphet what is the root of the disagreement from nphets perspective? genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

mike8634 wrote: »
    My wife is a nurse and her colleagues are having a good laugh about it this morning in work, its gone way too far now

Really? A good laugh??

If that's their attitude, they're in a minority in the medical profession :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

antgal23 wrote: »
    Take a space cake, someone said it helps with anxiety

I imagine I'm a good bit older than you so I don't know what a space cake is but I do know that your comment was rude and you showed your lack of empathy very clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'd say it's more likely the problem is that once schools and creches close even those who can work from home are severely impacted.

Also closing the schools means the gov will have some convincing slog getting the teachers back in again. Could be another full term written off for the kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

So when the full level 5 restrictions are announced tomorrow when do people think they will kick in from? Midnight on New Years` Eve would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

So when the full level 5 restrictions are announced tomorrow when do people think they will kick in from? Midnight on New Years` Eve would be my guess.

Glad you editted the original :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

one thing i'm confused about is why nphet want to keep schools open but so many nphet strict restriction supporters want them closed? if they trust nphet what is the root of the disagreement from nphets perspective? genuine question

NPHET only want pubs closed. Holohan not once in months has went beyond tacit disapproval of foreign travel. He has repeatedly peddled the lie that only 2 percent of cases are from it. He has not conceded that with a ban on recreational travel we wouldn't have had a 2nd, 3rd of 4th wave. Or a 1st, at that. The man is a spoofer and then he wonders why the vast vast majority of the public no longer give a shiet what he and clowns like Harris have to say on things.

Hold Firm. Oh phuck off you pair of cretins. You would be hard pressed to find anyone under 60 who still believes this guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement