Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another full lockdown looming? - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

God forbid some elderly people are out enjoying their lives rather being stuck at home living in fear.

They obviously know the risks involved and are happy to do what they were doing with that in mind.

Not everyone is buying into the mass hysteria and fear because it's been peddled nonstop for the last 9 months.

Some people have reached their breaking point sooner than others as there's only so much some people can take myself included.

Sorry now but regardless of “breaking point” my humble opinion is it’s not right for ppl over 70 to be in the middle of a packed shopping centre without a mask currently.

But that’s just my own opinion. Ultimately it’s about the level of risk ppl are prepared to take

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Sorry now but regardless of “breaking point” my humble opinion is it’s not right for ppl over 70 to be in the middle of a packed shopping centre without a mask currently.

But that’s just my own opinion. Ultimately it’s about the level of risk ppl are prepared to take

It's not right in what way?

Like you said it's up to each individual person as to what risks they are willing to take, and you or I are not in any position to tell them how to love their lives because it's none of our business really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

NIMAN wrote: »
    I always found it strange that gyms were allowed open.

People exhaling more forcefully than usual on treadmills or pumping weights, sweating pouring off them, being in contact with equipment before moving on to another piece of apparatus, sharing seats, weights, treadmills, etc

Sweat is not a method of transmitting the disease

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Because they are completely non essential and any place where people can congregate has potential to cause covid outbreaks.

Non essential me hole

And we know now risks from the gym is “extremely unlikely”

https://www.her.ie/health/extremely-unlikely-catch-covid-19-gym-study-says-514301

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

What's really disappointing is people went to them in the first place.

The amount of people that abdicate personal responsibility because the goverment allowed certain activities throughout this pandemic has been a real eye opener. Its evident to anyone with an education and some basic critical thinking skills that these environments wernt safe.

Ronan glynn said in reation to hospitality and households 'just because you can doesnt mean you should'.

This was ignored by many a gob****e and we went from the best country in Europe to the one with the fastest growth.

They knew this was going to happen - it was all about shoring up VAT receipts in the month of December. What they didn't count on happening is a new variant that is more infectious. Sadly, I suspect we are going to sail very close to the wind with hospital capacity in the next 2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

faceman wrote: »
    Non essential me hole

https://www.her.ie/health/extremely-unlikely-catch-covid-19-gym-study-says-514301

By definition gyms are non-essential.

Jog, walk, swim, etc. You don't need a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Calling things 'essential' works for a proposed short lockdown in March 2020. When the timeline is 12+ months, what's essential and what isn't has to change.

Having said that I don't think gyms are essential :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Non essential me hole

One study
    The research formed part of the SafeACTiVE study. It was commissioned by Europe Active, a large non-profit organisation representing gyms, leisure centres and health clubs across the continent.

Paid for by gym owners, is not conclusive of anything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hope all those d1ckheads having house parties and street drinking in the city centre are happy. They have helped ruin everything from the rest of us.

We need to get past this house party myth. In December 6 people were allowed come to your gaff. Whether it’s the lads with cans or auntie Mary for a cup of tea, or uncle decko with the kid’s Christmas presents the risk is consistent. People immediately jump on the house party headline when in reality there are far more cases of casual house visits than house parties. Most people don’t even realise the risk

Street drinking is not a cause of it

We’re obsessed with drink being the root cause

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It's not right in what way?

Like you said it's up to each individual person as to what risks they are willing to take, and you or I are not in any position to tell them how to love their lives because it's none of our business really.

It’s none of our business yes but still I can’t understand the mindset of someone 70+ (often with underlying issues on top of age) not wearing a mask in the middle of a packed shopping centre with little social distancing or ventilation.

Either that person is fine with the risks (if so, move along nothing to see here)

or else is not aware of the risks. It’s the second group I’d have a second thought for, surely the message has got through now almost 9 months into the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Reading lots of articles today about what level 5 is "expected" to look like.
    But haven't seen any mention of construction? I wonder will it stop for a few weeks like the first time.

But you feel very important telling e dry one you e gone to the gym ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

AdamD wrote: »
    Calling things 'essential' works for a proposed short lockdown in March 2020. When the timeline is 12+ months, what's essential and what isn't has to change.

Having said that I don't think gyms are essential :pac:

Only for all the people that work in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

but mah gainz bruh..... summer bod starts in Jan.....

jokes aside, I can see the rationale behind the closures, but there is a lot of evidence proving gyms can be COVID secure... I'm really missing mine and to say to people "sure you can just go outside for a swim or a run" when they've been weight training religiously a numbers of years, is like asking a Muslim to pray in the Vatican "because a religious site is a religious site"...

if you've been to a weightlifting gym, or martial arts gym (particularly if you've ever gotten a bacterial infection from something not being cleaned right), you'll know these spaces are notoriously cleaner than your average gym, as users have it engrained into them either by cause, or gym bro's on your back about it.....

unfortunately, it's the average gym, with average Jo soap that's the weak link... mix that with more Jo Soaps sitting at home with nothing to do, thinking taking up the gym as a good idea, and you get a COVID sess pit, no matter how secure a gym is.....

I've seen some good high tier examples being used in the UK though.... only gym members allowed, must book and stick strictly to your timeslot ... track and trace locally and linked to the government app... works quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

They knew this was going to happen - it was all about shoring up VAT receipts in the month of December. What they didn't count on happening is a new variant that is more infectious. Sadly, I suspect we are going to sail very close to the wind with hospital capacity in the next 2-3 weeks.

That something you know for a fact or is it an assumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

Surely though if you know that this is happening and where it’s happening you should ring the Gardai and ask them to call to this premises and break up this meeting?
    It’s your civic duty- you’ll potentially help prevent more cases occurring in those counties where these idiots live.
    SteM wrote: »
    Was talking to a friend this morning who had been invited over to a mates place today. There'll be at least 10 lads there from 3 different counties, they'll be drinking from 3pm. Social distancing will be out the window after a few hours and they'll be staying overnight. These are all well educated lads in their 40s, they know better but it's something they do every year so they carry on the tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

We need to get past this house party myth. In December 6 people were allowed come to your gaff. Whether it’s the lads with cans or auntie Mary for a cup of tea, or uncle decko with the kid’s Christmas presents the risk is consistent. People immediately jump on the house party headline when in reality there are far more cases of casual house visits than house parties. Most people don’t even realise the risk

Street drinking is not a cause of it

We’re obsessed with drink being the root cause

I think a lot of people are obsessed with finding a bogeyman or a scapegoat. The Cheltenham crowd, the American tourists, the house parties, publicans ignoring regulations, the government etc.

Alcohol will worsen the spread but there are a million other factors at play too. It's a **** situation, no one is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The sea is lovely and warm this time of year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

JeffKenna wrote: »

Wear a coat

Regarding the idea that it's up to everyone to assess their own risk and act as they see fit, we all share the same air space.

An analogy: "It's up to each pilot to assess the risks of flying their airplane in this weather system". (I hasten to add that in real life mist world-class standard airlines impose a set of safety rules within which each pilot is required to fly.) What if you or I have paid an air ticket, and are allocated board the aircraft where the pilot thinks it's ok to take off direct into a severe thunderstorm with a few warning lights going off? We are there for ride innocently into needless danger.

The people who willingly take extra risks are ever more likely to be the ones frequenting your an my air space, sharing their potential viral load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

You're not a proper swimmer if you want "lovely and warm".

Everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

They knew this was going to happen - it was all about shoring up VAT receipts in the month of December.
    They had also played the "six weeks to save xmas" card back in on October/November, which basically commited them to loosening up come what may.

godtabh wrote: »
    Wear a coat

In the sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

In the sea?

thatsthejoke.jpg

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are obsessed with finding a bogeyman or a scapegoat. The Cheltenham crowd, the American tourists, the house parties, publicans ignoring regulations, the government etc.

Alcohol will worsen the spread but there are a million other factors at play too. It's a **** situation, no one is at fault.

People always lose sight of the fact that it's the sum of the risks that spread the virus, not one thing or another, and how "worth it" each risk is to society. The authorities have regarded education as being a (probably moderate) risk worth it, although it's always couched in the language of being "low risk", in view of the fact that a whole generation of future adults would lose out on education with potentially serious societal consequences when Covid prevention is a little spoken-of routine and non-inconvenient element of public health.

accensi0n wrote: »
    thatsthejoke.jpg

So you agree it's too cold for people to swim in the sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

arccosh wrote: »
    but mah gainz bruh..... summer bod starts in Jan.....

jokes aside, I can see the rationale behind the closures, but there is a lot of evidence proving gyms can be COVID secure... I'm really missing mine and to say to people "sure you can just go outside for a swim or a run" when they've been weight training religiously a numbers of years, is like asking a Muslim to pray in the Vatican "because a religious site is a religious site"...

if you've been to a weightlifting gym, or martial arts gym (particularly if you've ever gotten a bacterial infection from something not being cleaned right), you'll know these spaces are notoriously cleaner than your average gym, as users have it engrained into them either by cause, or gym bro's on your back about it.....

unfortunately, it's the average gym, with average Jo soap that's the weak link... mix that with more Jo Soaps sitting at home with nothing to do, thinking taking up the gym as a good idea, and you get a COVID sess pit, no matter how secure a gym is.....

I've seen some good high tier examples being used in the UK though.... only gym members allowed, must book and stick strictly to your timeslot ... track and trace locally and linked to the government app... works quite well

I think some of the large gyms that have plenty of ventilation might be able to open. They would have to adapt strict timeslots, limited numbers , social distancing and mandatory masking as well.

The problem is only a few gyms in the country would be able to fulfill this criteria and It might not even be financially viable for them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

So you agree it's too cold for people to swim in the sea?

Go down to the Forty Foot in the morning and ask the dozens of people swimming there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

MadYaker wrote: »
    I guess lying to yourself and ignoring the facts makes all of this less frightening for you?

I don't think there's anything to be frightened of. But if cowering under the bed works for you, it works for you.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    Go down to the Forty Foot in the morning and ask the dozens of people swimming there.

I don't know the place but I'd consider the risks of doing my 2km out in the sea this time of year far more than actually catching covid itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement