Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another full lockdown looming? - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/

Re:
    Organised indoor gatherings

These are controlled environments with a named event organiser, owner or manager

For example: business, training events, conferences, events in theatres and cinemas or other arts events (excluding sport).

No organised indoor gatherings should take place.

Does anyone know what power, if any, the Guards have to break up house parties tomorrow night? Are fines now law?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what power, if any, the Guards have to break up house parties tomorrow night? Are fines now law?

"Ah here, lads! Do ye not have any homes to go to?"

gmisk wrote: »
    Also to add to this....over 100 people a day with between 20-30 close contacts?! Madness

People are taking the piss.

The number of people bumping into me in Dundrum Shopping Centre when I parked there to visit the dentist the other day was astounding. So many were making no attempt to avoid, I was trying to do a slalom of social distancing only to be smacked in the side by somebody else making zero attempt to slow down, stand aside etc. I got two men's elbows in side of my belly. People standing close to each other by Hotel Chocolate café; having removed the seating it seems more have been squeezing themselves in standing having their coffee, at least at one point as I passed on the escalator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Mehole appears to be blaming this on the new strain? Absolute and total Boll***, that strain was only picked up in the past 2 weeks. This surge cases is down to relaxation of previous restrictions, Shopping Frenzy over the past 3 weeks.

Governments around the world seem to think vaccine role out is going to sort this out, at this rate they won't be able to vaccinate quick enough to keep up with case numbers.

Lockdown welcome but far to late and needed because of short term greed over the past 3 weeks. They we're warned and ignored the advice given.

They just tweak the science a little bit

They're politicians after all

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Here we go, Government spin (sorry press conference), Leo will be devasted at Gym's closing :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Treseemme. wrote: »
    They just tweak the science a little bit

They're politicians after all

Well said :)

O christ, Eamonn Ryan speaking, please stop, Please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Re:

Yes, just cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dwainec

Work in a phone shop. In march we were closed but the latest restrictions update says on an emergency basis only. Does this mean behind closed doors?

Poorside wrote: »
    Yes, just cancel it.

I won't be hosting a house party tomorrow night

I want the opposite in fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

Hi, when do these restriction kick in? Its clear that gyms / non essential retail close from the of of business tomorrow, but all the others? Particularly the 5km limit and sporting activity

dwainec wrote: »
    Work in a phone shop. In march we were closed but the latest restrictions update says on an emergency basis only. Does this mean behind closed doors?

Snap me too, technically yes but just lets say we've been told doors open fully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

What about construction - is that classified as an essential service? Construction was halted in the first lockdown, but was allowed in the most recent lockdown. My neighbour is in the middle of a bathroom renovation and hoping it can go ahead.

leck wrote: »
    What about construction - is that classified as an essential service? Construction was halted in the first lockdown, but was allowed in the most recent lockdown. My neighbour is in the middle of a bathroom renovation and hoping it can go ahead.

I don't think they'll ever restrict construction again also trade people were not restricted either, home repairs, maintenance etc all fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

Can I go to the toilet ?

I'm bursting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Treseemme. wrote: »
    Can I go to the toilet ?

I'm bursting

Is it within 5km?

khalessi wrote: »
    Is it within 5km?

As long as its not over neighbours hedge your fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Regarding the idea that it's up to everyone to assess their own risk and act as they see fit, we all share the same air space.

An analogy: "It's up to each pilot to assess the risks of flying their airplane in this weather system". (I hasten to add that in real life mist world-class standard airlines impose a set of safety rules within which each pilot is required to fly.) What if you or I have paid an air ticket, and are allocated board the aircraft where the pilot thinks it's ok to take off direct into a severe thunderstorm with a few warning lights going off? We are there for ride innocently into needless danger.

The people who willingly take extra risks are ever more likely to be the ones frequenting your an my air space, sharing their potential viral load.

Bang on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Harris is an expert in one thing and that’s self promotion

And being twee, he loves being twee. It's sickening.

Static Jak on Reddit Ireland with a full re-cap

Full level five restrictions will be in place for a period of four weeks - until January 31st
    And other points brought up today:
    HSE Chief Clinical Officer Dr Colm Henry said the reproductive number now stands at 1.8.

He said getting the R number below 1 would now take an enormous national effort.

Dr Henry said even if we managed to get the R number down to 1.4, this would still translate into 2,000 cases per day by mid-January, and perhaps 3,000 per day by the end of January.

He said the corresponding number in hospitals at that stage could be as high as 800.
    Philip Nolan:

Growth rate of 7-10% per day.

“We must take action immediately to prevent an almost unimaginable scenario, where case numbers in 7 to 10 days time are TWICE what they are today. Stay home.”
    455 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 37 are in ICU.
    60 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Let's hope this is the very very last full lockdown

If they can accelerate the vaccine roll out to 7 days a week then no excuses

My sister is getting married early March and preparing for 25 guests. Be massively frustrating for her if its still 6 guests only by then. Having paddys day a week after won't be a help (NPHET will be very cautious around big drinking days)

PTH2009 wrote: »

My sister is getting married early March and preparing for 25 guests. Be massively frustrating for her if its still 6 guests only by then. Having paddys day a week after won't be a help (NPHET will be very cautious around big drinking days)

Well it's not a full lockdown. Also getting married in march and not Holding much hope

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

I don't know why anyone would get married now. Being told I could have only 25 people or whatever would do my head in. Wait and have your wedding on your terms, where you want and with who you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Well it's not a full lockdown. Also getting married in march and not Holding much hope
    This is it ,its not, did they mention construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

A friend's niece got married this year. It went from a few hundred guests to 25 to 6 days before the wedding.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    This is it ,its not, did they mention construction?

Construction is okay. I work in a phone shop and restrictions say emergency only but we're basically allowed open as normal

Most shops will do "click and collect" but that's also a farce as I've seen people inside shops trying on clothes etc when they're meant to be cloctk and collect only

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Construction is okay. I work in a phone shop and restrictions say emergency only but we're basically allowed open as normal

Most shops will do "click and collect" but that's also a farce as I've seen people inside shops trying on clothes etc when they're meant to be cloctk and collect only

Have they said click and collect is allowed?

I presume it will be extended again, which will only serve to annoy people, albeit it would be justifiable the way figures are carrying on.

I'm not sure why they don't just install a 2 month lockdown from now (til end feb) and then at least people can accept that, work around it, and plan for a mid-march opening (paddy's day will of course be cancelled, and rightly so).

In the background, vaccines will be getting rolled out, and the worry of having to return to another full on level 5 will be alleviated.

Rather than the current situation of 31st january being the deadline, when everyone knows that will be extended.

They need to get cracking on making people work from home again, though, and having legitimate restrictions on who is and is not essential. First time around, only the frontline emergency workers were essential. Second time around everyone bar the pub owners were essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Re:

Can’t see Gardai bothering with house parties tomorrow. There’ll be enough trouble on the streets to keep them occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

On the plus side, we won’t be ordering as much from Amazon during this lockdown because, Brexit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement