Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another full lockdown looming? - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

faceman wrote: »
    On the plus side, we won’t be ordering as much from Amazon during this lockdown because, Brexit

Amazon pretty much business as usual except it might take a bit longer to arrive in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Can’t see Gardai bothering with house parties tomorrow. There’ll be enough trouble on the streets to keep them occupied.

More like they'll be drinking tea and watching Youtube

This pandemic has exposed many things in this country that people simply turned a blind eye to before 2020

Our "police force" being one of them

They've been as useful as a concrete parachute since March

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

dwainec wrote: »
    Construction is okay. I work in a phone shop and restrictions say emergency only but we're basically allowed open as normal

Most shops will do "click and collect" but that's also a farce as I've seen people inside shops trying on clothes etc when they're meant to be cloctk and collect only

And that's part of the reason we're back here now, people/ businesses need to have better control over how they approach this next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

ShineOn7 wrote: »

This pandemic has exposed many things in this country that people simply turned a blind eye to before 2020

A concrete parachute would at least get you down faster so it does have some use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Cannabis collectors, Although on the not so bright side Cocaine and Heroin are everywhere now. Well done Gardaí, Well done on keeping our communities safe from Cannabis and our food supplies safe from the munchies. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Have they said click and collect is allowed?

Click and collect permitted

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Huh? What do you expect exactly? There's very little numbers in the garda, when you compare to the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

This still isn't a March-like lockdown though is it?

- Creche's open
    - Construction open
    - Can travel to provide childcare
    - Woodies etc still open
    - 5km rather than 2km
    - You can meet one other household outside.
    - No advising over 70's to cocoon

So basically this is going back to when we did the first round of lifting restrictions on June 8th. Even then, creche's didn't open until June 28th.

The only additional restriction in comparison to the October - December lockdown is that schools are closing for a week.

That being said, I do think we're relatively fine at the moment. We may be getting record positive cases over the past week, but that is only one metric, and in reality, probably isn't a record..

At the height of Wave 1, around the end of April, we had 900ish covid patients in hospital. That flattened to virtually none over the summer, and rose to approx 300 at the end of October. While 300 is way less than 900, it was squeaky bum time because we had not cancelled non-emergency procedures, meaning at one point we only had 200 available hospital beds in the whole country. We are now at 424, and rising. However this time it appears they have done what they did in March, and cancelled all elective surgeries, as by some miracle we have 654 available hospital beds as of today. So there is breathing room. I agree, with the new strain, probably not much breathing room, but probably more than we did in October and most certainly more than we did in April.

It just shows you, when you think about it, that the level of infections in February and March must have been massive. We may have tipped over 1k daily new cases in mid-April, but given the level of hospitalisations, in comparison to now, must mean that actual daily new cases were probably 6/7/8k new cases a day. We have a while to go before we approach the same circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

JDD wrote: »
    This still isn't a March-like lockdown though is it?

- Creche's open
    - Construction open
    - Can travel to provide childcare
    - Woodies etc still open
    - 5km rather than 2km
    - You can meet one other household outside.
    - No advising over 70's to cocoon

So basically this is going back to when we did the first round of lifting restrictions on June 8th. Even then, creche's didn't open until June 28th.

The only additional restriction in comparison to the October - December lockdown is that schools are closing for a week.

That being said, I do think we're relatively fine at the moment. We may be getting record positive cases over the past week, but that is only one metric, and in reality, probably isn't a record..

At the height of Wave 1, around the end of April, we had 900ish covid patients in hospital. That flattened to virtually none over the summer, and rose to approx 300 at the end of October. While 300 is way less than 900, it was squeaky bum time because we had not cancelled non-emergency procedures, meaning at one point we only had 200 available hospital beds in the whole country. We are now at 424, and rising. However this time it appears they have done what they did in March, and cancelled all elective surgeries, as by some miracle we have 654 available hospital beds as of today. So there is breathing room. I agree, with the new strain, probably not much breathing room, but probably more than we did in October and most certainly more than we did in April.

It just shows you, when you think about it, that the level of infections in February and March must have been massive. We may have tipped over 1k daily new cases in mid-April, but given the level of hospitalisations, in comparison to now, must mean that actual daily new cases were probably 6/7/8k new cases a day. We have a while to go before we approach the same circumstances.

"...We may have tipped over 1k daily new cases in mid-April, but given the level of hospitalisations, in comparison to now, must mean that actual daily new cases were probably 6/7/8k new cases a day. We have a while to go before we approach the same circumstances..." This is the crucial bit the folks in charge seem to be completely missing. The case numbers now are not comparable to when it was much much more difficult to get a test. Clearly the majority of the positive cases were being missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I don't know why anyone would get married now. Being told I could have only 25 people or whatever would do my head in. Wait and have your wedding on your terms, where you want and with who you want!

Save a small fortune plus you won't have to deal with a load of inlaws on the day
    Win win situation

• Advertisement

On the plus side, we won’t be ordering as much from Amazon during this lockdown because, Brexit

Why would that be a 'plus' out of curiousity?

Save a small fortune plus you won't have to deal with a load of inlaws on the day
    Win win situation

Although i see what you're saying, anyone i know that had a reduced capacity wedding, still paid full whack anyway.

The wedding venues all had the same line, that they were booked with a minimum of X guests (was 100 in my friends cases) and it isn't worth their while running a wedding for any less than that amount, and therefore the price quoted was for 100, and that's the amount that's due.

So nobody is saving much, but they are getting less from people's cards (as people aren't actually attending).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I suppose because you might buy the same product from an Irish website instead.

And the fact that Amazon treat their employees pretty ****tily - 0 hour contracts and timed toilet breaks.

That being said, there's no tariffs on goods under the recently agreed trade deal, so prices on Amazon will stay the same. You just won't get your goods within two days, but you won't get them within two days from an Irish website either, so it'll probably come down to price, and how comfortable you feel lining Jeff Bezos' pockets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Bezos is part of the 5G lizard person conspiracy so everyone should pay over the odds to half-arsed Irish companies who will both overcharge and underdeliver.

Overspend to show the globalists who's boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

Company i work with service water filters systems in peoples home,would anyone know if we are classed as essential as people do need clean drinking water 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Ppppffff amazon.co.uk. Rookie.

Amazon.de
    Amazon.es
    Amazon.it
    Amazon.fr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

johnf26 wrote: »
    Company i work with service water filters systems in peoples home,would anyone know if we are classed as essential as people do need clean drinking water ��

Probably
    Anything to do with services is

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Jesus Christ i feel so deflated with the thoughts of a January lockdown. January is bad enough as is. Are NPHET concerned at all about the mental effects of this boll0cks?!

Will we hear about the January divide rates?! No, we won’t.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Company i work with service water filters systems in peoples home,would anyone know if we are classed as essential as people do need clean drinking water 😅

There’s 2 schools of thought

1. If you have to ask then you’re not essential

2. No one is going to enforce this anyway so if you have to work you have to work

Company i work with service water filters systems in peoples home,would anyone know if we are classed as essential as people do need clean drinking water ��

You had to come on an Internet forum to find that out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Bezos is part of the 5G lizard person conspiracy so everyone should pay over the odds to half-arsed Irish companies who will both overcharge and underdeliver.

Overspend to show the globalists who's boss!

Almost, except, he's just a knob

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I don't know why anyone would get married now. Being told I could have only 25 people or whatever would do my head in. Wait and have your wedding on your terms, where you want and with who you want!

We are due to do the registry office in April and the celebration in June....We'll still go ahead in April no matter the numbers. June is looking less and less likely by the day as we wouldn't batter on with less than 100 guests. Not the end of the world but was really looking forward to the build up and excitement. It's due to take place on her land so a lot of planning going in. Still have to keep going in the off chance we can still go ahead but knowing that when we are getting things organised it's probably futile

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

quelle surprise ...people die in hospitals and care homes, not at house parties :rolleyes:

99.99% of smokers also die in hospitals and care homes and not with a fag still in their mouth ...another reason to knock the smoking ban on the head :D

What a stupid argument ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

peasant wrote: »
    quelle surprise ...people die in hospitals and care homes, not at house parties :rolleyes:

99.99% of smokers also die in hospitals and care homes and not with a fag still in their mouth ...another reason to knock the smoking ban on the head :D

What a stupid argument ...

Evwn read it ?

63 died from hospital aquired covid

At the time of the letter there were 53 open coronavirus clusters in 21 acute hospitals. The clusters were linked to around 1,000 new cases and resulted in 63 people dying from Covid-19.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Evwn read it ?

63 died from hospital aquired covid

At the time of the letter there were 53 open coronavirus clusters in 21 acute hospitals. The clusters were linked to around 1,000 new cases and resulted in 63 people dying from Covid-19.

Yes, indeed I read it.

Those are terribly sad numbers and they show that after almost a year into this thing we still have not managed to keep this virus out of care homes and from forming clusters in hospitals.

Nowhere however does this article say that it's ok to have house parties.

That's a silly (and egotistical) conclusion to draw, hence my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Blut2

I don't think the poster was making the point "its ok to have house parties" so much as "the data shows huge numbers of people are catching covid in hospitals, and very few in pubs/restaurants/parties, but the government is blaming pubs/restaurants/parties - why?"

The answer most likely being that its easy to blame people socializing for infections, but its a lot harder to admit badly run hospitals are still hotbeds of infection 9+ months into the pandemic. If that became more well known knowledge the public might ask for heads to roll...

Blut2 wrote: »
    I don't think the poster was making the point ...

Fair point...
    I might have jumped to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Gee_G wrote: »
    Reading lots of articles today about what level 5 is "expected" to look like.
    But haven't seen any mention of construction? I wonder will it stop for a few weeks like the first time.

Construction stays open

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Yes, indeed I read it.

Those are terribly sad numbers and they show that after almost a year into this thing we still have not managed to keep this virus out of care homes and from forming clusters in hospitals.

Nowhere however does this article say that it's ok to have house parties.

That's a silly (and egotistical) conclusion to draw, hence my post above.

Fwiw i definitely don’t approve of house parties.

Instead I take great exception to blame culture and the government pinning blame on the public yet failing to recognise their own major failings in hospitals, care homes and the HSE.

Tangent point. In the daily briefings I’d love to now see daily stats on number of vaccines administered and number of vaccines stockpiled

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement