Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another full lockdown looming? - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

30 thousand people had arrived in Ireland from Britain in the fortnight before the closure , a thousand or two more won't have made a substantial difference at all

I don't think they did the right thing either. But at least they didn't stubbornly insist on coming over when the new strain of the virus was revealed and the Irish govt had stopped flights from Britain coming into the Republic. All those who entered via Belfast and all those who collected them and drove them into the Republic need to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Looking like the spurious government excuse that the new strain the cause of this latest shambles. Only 9 cases of new strain detected todate out of the 1000"s over the past few weeks. Numerous media outlets suggesting little evidence of new strain being tge cause of these enormous numbers.

Meehole and Leaky Leo will have some explaining to do.

Am I wrong and thinking this is a mess, IT systems unable to cope with reporting, close contacts not being tested, over 500 in hospitals, Vaccine Roll out looking like it's a shambles before it actually starts on a large scale.

3 weeks of utter madness has caused this. I ran to a local DIY outlet on new years eve and what I witnessed shocked me, a complete free for all, I took one look and left. Have we learned nothing?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Looking like the spurious government excuse that the new strain the cause of this latest shambles. Only 9 cases of new strain detected todate out of the 1000"s over the past few weeks. Numerous media outlets suggesting little evidence of new strain being tge cause of these enormous numbers.

Am I wrong and thinking this is a mess, IT systems unable to cope with reporting, close contacts not being tested, over 500 in hospitals, Vaccine Roll out looking like it's a shambles before it actually starts on a large scale.

3 weeks of utter madness has caused this. I ran to a local DIY outlet on new years eve and what I witnessed shocked me, a complete free for all, I took one look and left. Have we learned nothing?

To get that 9 they tested circa 200 hundred swabs apparently to get that figure
    https://twitter.com/Mark_Coughlan/status/1345095904626409474

In total we have 16 cases out of 171 outside uk which is 9.35% so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

why is it time and again, because people don't see immediate numbers they think everything is OK?

There's a time lag between infection, symptoms occurring and people getting tested, then possible hospitalisations...

The UK only saw a spike in numbers of the new variant end of November/ start of December.... those people are only going into hospitals the last week and a bit and the NHS has put out repeated warnings of them going to be overwhelmed in the next week or two....

Yet, people will look at todays numbers and think "meh, they're not that bad off"...

Those Irish detections of the new variant will sky rocket through January, because of peoples actions over the last week..

arccosh wrote: »
    why is it time and again, because people don't see immediate numbers they think everything is OK?

There's a time lag between infection, symptoms occurring and people getting tested, then possible hospitalisations...

The UK only saw a spike in numbers of the new variant end of November/ start of December.... those people are only going into hospitals the last week and a bit and the NHS has put out repeated warnings of them going to be overwhelmed in the next week or two....

Yet, people will look at todays numbers and think "meh, they're not that bad off"...

Those Irish detections of the new variant will sky rocket through January, because of peoples actions over the last week..

I'm not sure its the immediate numbers that concerns people, it's more the fact there's 1000"s of cases they are actually aware of but the reporting IT system can't seemingly cope by logging them. Bad enough 1700 cases being notified daily, what would tge actual real numbers be? 3,000, 4,000? It's pretty shocking whatever way we look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Blut2 wrote: »
    Thats an insane argument. By comparing raw total GDP figures you could argue Nigeria and Egypt are just as wealthy as Ireland. No economist on the planet would agree with you - GDP per capita is how you measure a country's wealth, because it gives you an idea of how much money the government has to spend on each citizen.

The Irish vaccination program is not suffering due to the size of the country. There aren't trucks driving around aimlessly for hours, because we're a low population density country like Mongolia or Namibia. We're a high population density, geographically small country. The geographical size of Israel is not why they're vaccinating at 20 times the rate of Ireland.

Israel at this stage in their program has only vaccinated over 65s and essential healthcare workers. Their lower median age (which is only 8 years younger) has made no difference to their vaccination program.

The Irish government is incompetent because we currently have:

- A track and trace system that was scaled down this summer, and is now proving completely inadequate - close contacts of confirmed cases can no longer get a test due to the unmet demand for tests. 9+ months into a pandemic.
    - a vaccination program with an aim to vaccinate the population by mid-December 2021. 10 months behind Israel, and 6+ months behind many other countries.

You keep throwing up ridiculous excuses for why Israel in particular are doing far better than Ireland. But its not just Israel. And we're a small, rich, European country. People are dying every day from this disease, and lives are being ruined from the lockdown. We have both the means, and the motivation, to be one of the fastest nations on the planet to vaccinate our population.

But instead our government plan will have us one of the slowest developed countries in the world to finish our vaccination plan. How is this not the very definition of incompetence and failure? Irish citizens will literally lose their lives, and livelihoods, due to the government failing to be more competent.

You clearly have zero understanding or experience of logistics if you think country size and population density don't impact a vaccine rollout.

Everyone else in the world accepts this fact, perhaps you could educate yourself more in this area rather first?

Btw the dates you mention are only valid if we don't get another vaccine approved, I'm sure you know this fact but chose to ignore it to help further your rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Surely what that shows us is that despite countless warnings, many Irish people continued as normal and spread this virus?

The IT system isn't impacting anything other than collating numbers though, right?
    So does it really matter?

At least we have a consensus government with 3 parties working together, unlike our near neighbours who are ruled by diktat

Not at all sure Leaky Leo got that memo??? Re working together, Eamonn Ryan reminds me of a Rabbit caught in headlights, absolutely clueless and just seems lost. Meehole seems to be trying but underminded at every turn.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Surely what that shows us is that despite countless warnings, many Irish people continued as normal and spread this virus?

The IT system isn't impacting anything other than collating numbers though, right?
    So does it really matter?

Agreed to an extent but had Government listened to NPHET, we may not have seen the chaos over 3 weeks, which undoubtedly and in a roundabout way allowed things get out of control.

Re reporting issues, yes your correct but personally I'd like the facts, not here say re actual true numbers. The cynic in me is concerned as to how and why this reporting issue has occurred. Almost a year into this and it happens now.

Perhaps I'm being unfair but after the last NPHET press conference, I was left bewildered, even a very simple question re the 15 hospitals getting tge vaccine this week went unanswered.

I also was quite surprised at Meehole and Leaky Leo claiming the new strain is the cause of these extraordinary numbers, when it is blatantly untrue. The new Strain was detected well after they eased restrictions early December. They took a gamble on re opening and it has spectacular backfired and yes, its citizens irresponsibilities to blame ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I also was quite surprised at Meehole and Leaky Leo claiming the new strain is the cause of these extraordinary numbers, when it is blatantly untrue.

You're surprised that they're claiming it? Leaving aside what is true and what they actually believe...

• Advertisement

You're surprised that they're claiming it? Leaving aside what is true and what they actually believe...

Astonished may have been a better discription, or flabbergasted comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

'Level 5' is a sham. Schools and virtualy all office and construction will be permitted to continue, with increased mixing as the disease is rampant in our communities. Even when we exited the previous 'Level 5' in December, the numbers were bad- I cannot understand how in the name of God, our government expect this 'lockdown' to have any meaningful effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Do ye reckon the lockdown will be extended past the 31st?

Lollipop95 wrote: »

Yes unfortunately, Philip Nolan on Saturday with Katie Hannon now, on RTE Player or News now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

I'd say post paddys day for hospitality in my uneducated opinion

traco wrote: »

I would say that's a very well educated opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Id imagine the hospitality sector won't open this side of paddy's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Put the house on it:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd say that's wildly optimistic. Glad to be proven wrong though

Philip Nolan and cillian de gascun agreeing the new Strain Not the cause of increased numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

I suppose everything depends on the vaccination rollout goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd say that's wildly optimistic. Glad to be proven wrong though

I had originally typed post easter but back tracked?!?!?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I had originally typed post easter but back tracked?!?!?

Post Easter would be my optimistic estimate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

KevMayo88 wrote: »
    'Level 5' is a sham. Schools and virtualy all office and construction will be permitted to continue, with increased mixing as the disease is rampant in our communities. Even when we exited the previous 'Level 5' in December, the numbers were bad- I cannot understand how in the name of God, our government expect this 'lockdown' to have any meaningful effect.

They don't have such expectations. Despite their "health concerns are top priority" sham message, closing down the borders and the schools is too politically inconvenient for them, so they won't do it. Instead they will continue with their economic lockdowns hammering down on the average joe, but they are rich enough to not suffer the economic consequences.

The greatest tragedy is that we are all just taking this, with bowed, obedient heads. Society is down the drain for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

At this stage, pubs and restaurants open in June.

If they (gov) are creative, they might consider opening cafes and eateries during the day without alcohol before opening up fully.

I really hope they ditch the 5k rule. That for me is my biggest issue with the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The_Brood wrote: »
    They don't have such expectations. Despite their "health concerns are top priority" sham message, closing down the borders and the schools is too politically inconvenient for them, so they won't do it. Instead they will continue with their economic lockdowns hammering down on the average joe, but they are rich enough to not suffer the economic consequences.

The greatest tragedy is that we are all just taking this, with bowed, obedient heads. Society is down the drain for me.

Paint us an alternative there

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes mid March would be my guess at a reduction from current levels, that's how long it will take to reduce the infected cases out in the community now to below 500 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Yes mid March would be my guess at a reduction from current levels, that's how long it will take to reduce the infected cases out in the community now to below 500 per day.
    Over the summer cases were below 20 per day yet many places stayed firmly shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

https://mobile.twitter.com/kevcunningham/status/1344692965839613952?s=20

https://mobile.twitter.com/COVID19DataIE

Will they have to shut construction and keep schools closed, that graph really doesn't look good and shows that the rte and Irish times etc reporting isn't giving the full picture the last few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

So according to the government's original schedule we were due to have all those in nursing homes vaccinated by early January ( https://i.imgur.com/Jp16hSI.jpg ). But it seems the schedule has already slipped by 3 weeks, less than 2 weeks after it was announced...

"Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly said it is planned that all those working and living in Ireland's 580 nursing homes - around 70,000 people - will receive their first Covid-19 vaccine dose by the end of this month." -- https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0102/1187353-coronavirus-vaccine/

This is pretty horrendous going by the HSE/government. At this rate it'll be well into 2022 by the time our population is vaccinated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement