Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another full lockdown looming? - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

GT89 wrote: »
    It may not work for everyone but right now people are to certain degree not allowed live a normal life. All I am saying is people should be allowed live a normal life if that dosen't work for some people then they don't have to live a normal life.

Today's case numbers have no relevance to one going to work, on holidays or the pub.

Of course the number of cases are relevant. The more cases, the higher the odds of coming into contact with the virus.

All you are saying is that people should be allowed to live a normal life, and all some of us are trying to tell you is living a normal life is not possible during a global pandemic.

If you can't get your head around the reasons why its not possible, well, there is really not much else can be said here to explain it to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Of course the number of cases are relevant. The more cases, the higher the odds of coming into contact with the virus.

All you are saying is that people should be allowed to live a normal life, and all some of us are trying to tell you is living a normal life is not possible during a global pandemic.

If you can't get your head around the reasons why its not possible, well, there is really not much else can be said here to explain it to you.

I don't see why not personally, you don't have to reply to my posts if you feel you cannot reason with me. All I am saying is it should be up to people themselves as to how much they want to sacrifice in order to prevent catching covid that's kind of how it works in Sweden everything is open there are little to no restrictions imposed by the government instead people are choosing as to what risks they are willing to take.

In Sweden it is possible to go to the pub but no one is forced to. Those who view it too risky simply do not go those willing to take the risk go. The government issues reccomendations for people to follow and has a limited number of restrictions for example no large gatherings but nearly all businesses are free to open and people are free to travel.

This isn't Sweden.

Thank God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

This isn't Sweden.

Thank God.

Why thank god if people in Sweden want to not get covid they can by staying at home. People in Sweden can stay at home too. The reason why Sweden has higher rates of covid than Ireland is because people are willing tontake the risk of catching covid but I'm sure there are some who are not and those people are free to take the precautions whereas here Ireland people don't have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Why thank god if people in Sweden want to not get covid they can by staying at home. People in Sweden can stay at home too. The reason why Sweden has higher rates of covid than Ireland is because people are willing tontake the risk of catching covid but I'm sure there are some who are not and those people are free to take the precautions whereas here Ireland people don't have a choice.

No, the reason Sweden can get COivd is becuase the government made a decision for its people, the same as our government made a decision for us, and it has not been plain sailing for Sweden. If you want to do what you want which is what this is down to, you throwing a strop move to Sweden, you are here and the Irish government made a decision for the better of most of its people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's been a while since I looked, but I thought Sweden had since admitted their mistake and introduced restrictions, and that their economy was not any better for having been open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

You do realise that the King of Sweden has gone on record as saying that their COVID-19 policy was a disaster? You can’t really argue the opposite after that statement really.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

johnire wrote: »
    You do realise that the King of Sweden has gone on record as saying that their COVID-19 policy was a disaster? You can’t really argue the opposite after that statement really.......

LOL - He probably literally lives in an ivory tower.

Like Holohan and the rest of the bureaucrats making these decisions, he probably hasn't lived a day in the real-world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,539 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ficheall wrote: »
    It's been a while since I looked, but I thought Sweden had since admitted their mistake and introduced restrictions, and that their economy was not any better for having been open?

That hasnt stopped some of the diehards championing Sweden as a success.

Their arguments were never based in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

17 pages in this thread and not many addressing the original question - another full lockdown looming?

I'm not sure, the number of cases per 100,000 population still seems pretty low compared to other European Countries who have gone into lockdown, granted it has shot up alot over the last week.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Lockdowns have been an absolute failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Government meets on Tuesday safe to say if numbers are over 1500 lockdown here we come

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just seems extremely odd Government just didn't implement the lockdown as of Stephen's day, aside from Sales, it would seem that this year will see most going online anyway, Dublin cities streets proved this yesterday. If they do lockdown, there'll be further challenges, Staff coming back for a day or 2, businesses opening then closing, it would, it seems eminently more sensible to just lockdown from Stephens day.

I'm neutral eitherway as to lockdowns but whilst not popular to say, the dogs on the street could only deduce Retail and the chaos of the past 2 weeks has played some part in these new extremely worrying high numbers, it's simple maths really and I'm amazed anyone surprised at the case numbers being reported.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Because if you Google it you find it

Old people that might want to know probably can't use Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He could have suggested they eat cake

It may not work for everyone but right now people are to certain degree not allowed live a normal life. All I am saying is people should be allowed live a normal life if that dosen't work for some people then they don't have to live a normal life.

Today's case numbers have no relevance to one going to work, on holidays or the pub.

If too many do the normal life thing hospitals get overrun like in NI where they were darling with folk in parked ambulances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Augeo wrote: »
    If too many do the normal life thing hospitals get overrun like in NI where they were darling with folk in parked ambulances.

We were told that at wave 2, where we were at 1000+ cases a day. Yet hospitalisations remained stable, and ICU numbers were declining. We were told that in 2 weeks we’d be screwed, as it takes 2 weeks for the bug to work it’s way through. Didn’t happen. Has any “forecast” ever given been accurate or anywhere near accurate??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

We were told that at wave 2, where we were at 1000+ cases a day. Yet hospitalisations remained stable, and ICU numbers were declining. We were told that in 2 weeks we’d be screwed, as it takes 2 weeks for the bug to work it’s way through. Didn’t happen. Has any “forecast” ever given been accurate or anywhere near accurate??

This is all just completely false. Go look at the data, ffs.

https://covid-19.geohive.ie/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

This is all just completely false. Go look at the data, ffs.

https://covid-19.geohive.ie/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

Not sure why you’ve sent me the Stephens Day data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm neutral eitherway as to lockdowns but whilst not popular to say, the dogs on the street could only deduce Retail and the chaos of the past 2 weeks has played some part in these new extremely worrying high numbers, it's simple maths really and I'm amazed anyone surprised at the case numbers being reported.
    Antares35 wrote: »

I too am somewhat neutral in terms of "lockdown or not", we more or less just keep away from crowds and only go out for exercise. But one thing I don't get is this constant reference to "level 5" when it isn't actually level 5. Level 5 with non essential retail open and no limit on where you can travel within your county etc is not level 5. It's level "let's penalise the museums, nail bars and pubs".

There is no lockdown, never mind (KLAXONS) LEVEL 5 (KLAXONS). You can send the kids to school, go shopping and and to work, outside a few sectors. Only today has inter-county travel restrictions kicked in. When the review takes place on the 14th we might see a month of real closures like last Spring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There is no lockdown, never mind (KLAXONS) LEVEL 5 (KLAXONS). You can send the kids to school, go shopping and and to work, outside a few sectors. Only today has inter-county travel restrictions kicked in. When the review takes place on the 14th we might see a month of real closures like last Spring.

There's a government meeting on 29 December to consider the NPHET advice of 23 December. We might see additional restrictions then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just seems extremely odd Government just didn't implement the lockdown as of Stephen's day, aside from Sales, it would seem that this year will see most going online anyway, Dublin cities streets proved this yesterday. If they do lockdown, there'll be further challenges, Staff coming back for a day or 2, businesses opening then closing, it would, it seems eminently more sensible to just lockdown from Stephens day.

What's 'worrying' about them exactly?

In a country of nearly 5 million there are a couple of dozen in ICU.

There were over double the amount in people in hospital with seasonal flu 3 years ago without the country grinding to a halt.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

More mask talk removed. Please read the warning in the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

the only good thing about covid 19 its eleminated the flu
    blanket lockdowns are doing more damage soc/eco than the virus hope the govt dosent do it till jan cause i am out of here next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

And your point is?

Like Holohan and the rest of the bureaucrats making these decisions, he probably hasn't lived a day in the real-world.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,804 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Someone has moved the real world.
    I can’t find it anymore.
    Is it now full?
    I used to be able to slip in and out but now I’m stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Holohan doesn’t make any decisions, the government makes the decisions. Honestly how do you still not understand what’s going on, we’re a year into this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

None of this is true. You’re just making up random events from the past in an attempt to justify you’re own dumb opinions. Show me a quote from anyone in government or NPHET saying we’d be screwed in 2 weeks? Hospitalisations weren’t stable they were rising until the lockdown but sure you don’t care. More old man shouts at clouds nonsense.

MadYaker wrote: »
    None of this is true. You’re just making up random events from the past in an attempt to justify you’re own dumb opinions. Show me a quote from anyone in government or NPHET saying we’d be screwed in 2 weeks? Hospitalisations weren’t stable they were rising until the lockdown but sure you don’t care. More old man shouts at clouds nonsense.

Mentions of NPHET or anyone in government in my post: 0.

I was talking about the doom mongers on here.

• Advertisement

Level 5, with so much still open won’t bring down the numbers so, if that is the governments objective, I don’t see any option but for the full lockdown. Having said that, there’s not much point in it if schools ate open.

Government has a big decision to make. Stick with the levels and stubbornly high (1000?) numbers through Jan, or lock down like last year.

Dunno which way they’ll go, but I fear the latter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement