Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling tips

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Chiorino wrote: »
    Unless you get this from them in writing, anything you are told over the phone by a cs agent means absolutely nothing. The policy document is the last word as far as things like this are concerned.
    I am inclined to agree with you there. Bikes in themselves cant have insurance,Itll be the owner that has insurance. You have no absolute way of knowing if insurance is in place or not, he may still have the cert even though the policy is cancelled, may have fake documents, or void insurance because of something undeclared.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

myclist wrote: »
    I am inclined to agree with you there. Bikes in themselves cant have insurance,Itll be the owner that has insurance. You have no absolute way of knowing if insurance is in place or not, he may still have the cert even though the policy is cancelled, may have fake documents, or void insurance because of something undeclared.

Not true the owner insures that bike, my bike and my car are both insured with me being the policy holder.
    The bike is the insured object, I am the policy holder, you're being pedantic and splitting hairs.

No a non sentient object can't go and insure itself but the owner insures their property, and as a result may have an extention granted by the company to cover another vechicle if they drive it.

The cancelled/void policy is a fair point but again it will help mitigate loss if a civil action occurs as you had done your due diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Do a cold start video and walk around when its ticking over, upload it to youtube and put the link into the add in donedeal,adverts etc
    Did that for mine yesterday and sold it today, was sitting there for a few weeks before hand.

If I was a buyer thats what I'd be looking for in anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9 zemerin

For you to drive any other vehicle thats not yours and you have driving of other vehicles on your policy, the vehicle needs to be road worthy. AKA taxed and insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

For anyone here posting a bike on DD.......

Dont post pics of the bike manky dirty.
    Dont post pics of the bike after its washed and still wet.
    Post clean and dry daylight pics of front,back n sides.
    And put up a proper price and current mileage.

None of this price or mileage upon request bolloxoligy

Or just post random pictures you have in your phone and you'll sell it in a week if it's the right price. XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

zemerin wrote: »
    For you to drive any other vehicle thats not yours and you have driving of other vehicles on your policy, the vehicle needs to be road worthy. AKA taxed and insured.

Road worthiness has nothing to do with tax or insurance, you can have a car not road worthy even though it has NCT/tax/insurance, and as I posted early my policy documents don't mention the other bike needing to be insured. I've never had any insurance policy mention the vehicle needing to be taxed.

My car policy will cover me 3rd party in any car and it doesn't need to have insurance , I have fully comp if the other car is insured and a few other requirements.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Road worthiness has nothing to do with tax or insurance, you can have a car not road worthy even though it has NCT/tax/insurance, and as I posted early my policy documents don't mention the other bike needing to be insured. I've never had any insurance policy mention the vehicle needing to be taxed.

My car policy will cover me 3rd party in any car and it doesn't need to have insurance , I have fully comp if the other car is insured and a few other requirements.

You might want to recheck your policy because my CN AXA policy states I'm only insured on a bike that has a policy on it. It's actually on the first page. To be honest, I knew this was the case because it's standard for all policies, I just looked out of interest for the thread.

You sure about the car insurance, do you have a particular type of policy that night be different from the usual standard?

zubair wrote: »
    You might want to recheck your policy because my CN AXA policy states I'm only insured on a bike that has a policy on it. It's actually on the first page. To be honest, I knew this was the case because it's standard for all policies, I just looked out of interest for the thread.

You sure about the car insurance, do you have a particular type of policy that night be different from the usual standard?

I've checked my policy documents several times and no mention of the other bike needing insurance.

I've been with multiple insurers over the years and none have required the other car to be insured for 3rd party cover, you can get fully comp driving other cars from several companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

Has anyone been stopped by a gard or had an accident while driving another car/bike without an insurance policy on the car/bike recently? That would decide for definite if insurance is needed on other vehicle.

I've checked my policy documents several times and no mention of the other bike needing insurance.

I've been with multiple insurers over the years and none have required the other car to be insured for 3rd party cover, you can get fully comp driving other cars from several companies.

I'm renewing both my bike and car policies this month and I'd love to have this level of DOC cover in my car policy, can you share the companies?

Here's the CN AXA policy on riding other bikes. Page 1 of your policy.

• Advertisement

I'm renewing both my bike and car policies this month and I'd love to have this level of DOC cover in my car policy, can you share the companies?

Zurich and FBD, I've seen it on a few others but their quotes are usually too high so I don't remember.

That's not on any documentation I got off CN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

Just renewed my CN insurance yesterday.
    With fbd and mine says the exact same as yours.

Zurich and FBD, I've seen it on a few others but their quotes are usually too high so I don't remember.

That's not on any documentation I got off CN

So both of those companies provide fully comp DOC but the policies state the vehicles need to be insured under another policy.

You're probably not using any of these policies on uninsured vehicles but bear in mind that just because you didn't see this rule it doesn't mean it won't apply to you.

honda boi wrote: »
    Just renewed my CN insurance yesterday.
    With fbd and mine says the exact same as yours.

Mine went down by 100 bucks, haven't had a renewal quote on a policy go down in about a decade. Didn't even get any other quotes I was so impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Out of interest I went back through my policy docs. Broker principal and policy with AXA.

Can't find any exclusion either on AXA docs or principal docs about other vehicles requiring an insurance policy specifically.

This is one of the general exclusions in Principals terms:

l) Where at the time of the Insured Incident You were disqualified from driving, did not hold a licence to drive or the Vehicle did not have a
    valid MOT certificate or Tax Disc or comply with any laws relating to its ownership or use

That said. There is a difference between having insurance that will not cover a claim because a particular term was not met and having no insurance which can be prosecuted.

Vikings wrote: »
    Out of interest I went back through my policy docs. Broker principal and policy with AXA.

Can't find any exclusion either on AXA docs or principal docs about other vehicles requiring an insurance policy specifically.

This is one of the general exclusions in Principals terms:

l) Where at the time of the Insured Incident You were disqualified from driving, did not hold a licence to drive or the Vehicle did not have a
    valid MOT certificate or Tax Disc or comply with any laws relating to its ownership or use

That said. There is a difference between having insurance that will not cover a claim because a particular term was not met and having no insurance which can be prosecuted.

Honestly, it's pretty much standard. Fairly sure you'd need a very specific policy. I was with principal 2 years ago and their documentation is brutal, so you couldn't find an exclusion, but can you find anything to say that you can even ride another bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Honestly, it's pretty much standard. Fairly sure you'd need a very specific policy. I was with principal 2 years ago and their documentation is brutal, so you couldn't find an exclusion, but can you find anything to say that you can even ride another bike.

Yes on the certificate itself.

"The policyholder may also ride with the permission of the owner a motor cycle not owned by the policyholder and not hired to him/her under a hire purchase or lease agreement."

I've read all the documents they sent & the only reference to driving other bikes is what I have quoted above.

So both of those companies provide fully comp DOC but the policies state the vehicles need to be insured under another policy.

You're probably not using any of these policies on uninsured vehicles but bear in mind that just because you didn't see this rule it doesn't mean it won't apply to you.

For fully comp on my car policy with FBD the other car needs to have a separate policy, <2.5l and <€50k. If that criteria isn't met I have 3rd party, there is no mention in the 3rd party section that the other car needs to be insured.

The policy documents you receive are what apply to your policy. If it's not in the policy documents or on the insurance cert then they can't add it in later. There is no mention anywhere on the documents I received from CN that the other bike needs to be insured, so I can ride uninsured bikes with 3rd party cover.

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 zemerin

I used to work for one of the few insurance companies that does motorbikes (I won't say the name) and we were explicitly told this.

A guard might say otherwise about road worthiness. For you to drive ANY vehicle on a public road it needs to be taxed/insured. Not here to have an argument but to make sure incase anyone here decides to ride someone elses bike they need to be aware of this god forbid something happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement