Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gp5000 developing a kink !

Options
  • 26-12-2020 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭

On my spin on Christmas eve i noticed little bumps from the back wheel , i remembered that it had happened a year or so ago. Racked my brain to remember what had caused it. Checked rear wheel this morning, ths wheel is true but there's a kink developing in the tyre. Bingo that's what it was the last time. When i took the tyre off there was a very large kink in it. On a different wheel too.
    Happening again..anyone else have a similar problem ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it a rubber kink?

i'm here all evening. unfortunately for you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

Yep its the tyre kinking, the first time it happened , it was like a jacane (spelling? ) :)
    Keep it clean lads or thread will be moved to "After Hours". ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when you say a kink, you haven't had the tyre off for any reason before going out on the cycle?
    i.e. just in case the bead didn't reseat properly when reinflated.

No wasn't off, checked the beading, all sitting in fine.

odd. photo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It is a soft spot in the tyre which causes a bulge?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I had a couple of similar type 'kinks' develop in Conti Gators a few years back. I subsequently moved away from all types of Conti tyres as they were always troublesome in one way of another. Particularly annoying as they command a premium price.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Could it be due to a slight twist or pinch in the inner tube?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

In my experience Contis tend to do that just before they die, if you ride on it much more the kink will become a bulge, very shortly after that there will be a bang.

Bin it.

Agree with Nilhg, thats what happened the last time, seems like a weakness in the the tyre causes the kink and it gets so bad , safest to remove it, the bump sensation drives you bonkers too.
    Just back from short spin, too windy to notice it today. Plenty of thread on the tyre though..makes it more annoying.

• Advertisement

coastwatch wrote: »
    Could it be due to a slight twist or pinch in the inner tube?

Nah..its been fine since it went on, annoying as plenty of thread still on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

secman wrote: »
    Nah..its been fine since it went on, annoying as plenty of thread still on it.

That is very annoying - how many km have you cycled with this tyre and what pressure do you maintain? I have recently moved over to Continental GP5000, so am interested.

Not sure how many kms on it, but visually it has plently of life in it. Usually keep them at 100 psi.
    Been using Gp5000 across several bikes with the odd Gp4000, they are hard to get now. Its the second Gp5000 to link on me , on 2 different wheeels, but both times a rear wheel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If its relatively new, I'd email who you bought it off. I have had the rare occasion with Contis, took pics and sent to Rose who I got it off and they just sent me replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 n1ey

secman wrote: »
    On my spin on Christmas eve i noticed little bumps from the back wheel , i remembered that it had happened a year or so ago. Racked my brain to remember what had caused it. Checked rear wheel this morning, ths wheel is true but there's a kink developing in the tyre. Bingo that's what it was the last time. When i took the tyre off there was a very large kink in it. On a different wheel too.
    Happening again..anyone else have a similar problem ?

Sounds like a manufacturing defect is new. We had two club members with defects over the last 2 years. Conty seem to be the ultrareliable, but there have been some problems straight out of the factory.

Advertisement