Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with RGB/ARGB headers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

My next build will have lots of RGB so I've been doing some research into this.

The first, cheapest, simplest, albeit nastiest option would be to simply buy static-colour LED components. That might be an option if the young fella likes a particular primary colour (e.g. white, red, green etc). Another option is to acquire fans that use the correct type of header for your system.

RGB RAM AFAIK will work with just about any type of RGB enabled motherboard, and IIRC some might work with just the manufacturers software. Aside from RAM, generally, there are 3 types of RGB headers. 5V, 12V and Corsair.

As I understand add-in modules that provide RGB control to a motherboard that doesn't have it, the best of those work by connecting to the mobo over a spare USB 2.0 header. One option in that regard is to get a Corsair Commander PRO.
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/corsair-icue-commander-pro-smart-rgb-lighting-and-fan-speed-controller-black-fg-06q-cs.html
    They're expensive and they'll limit you to Corsair iCUE compatible components, but they would allow you to control a whole load of Corsair iCUE rgb gear from Windows via their iCUE software. Most motherboards cannot control Corsair RGB components directly, with the exception of some MSI boards mostly from the B450 era - those can control a Corsair component over the JCORSAIR header.

Your other option, as you point out, is to replace your mainboard. In that regard, I very much like the Gigabyte boards for B550, because many of them have 5 RGB headers in total, 2x12v, 2x5v and another (I think) 12v near the CPU socket. This would be ideal for use with an AMD Wraith Prism cooler for example and still leave you with a variety of ports for other uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

remoteboy wrote: »
    I’d have liked to do another ASUS board because I was hoping to use Aura Sync (I also have Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO RAM in the machine) but can’t find any ASUS motherboards with an ARGB header.

Of course there are ASUS motherboards with ARGB support. They sell ARGB strips too.

I think you need to look at TUF or RoG Strix motherboard, if Prime doesn't have ARGB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

JoyPad wrote: »
    Of course there are ASUS motherboards with ARGB support. They sell ARGB strips too.

I think you need to look at TUF or RoG Strix motherboard, if Prime doesn't have ARGB.

Sorry, you're dead right - there are options available. What I meant to say was that I couldn't find any in a similar price range. The TUF and Rog Strix 450 boards that I could find in and around EUR100 were all RGB only. The 550 boards definitely have it but the ones I found were over 150. I'm pricing everything on Max Burns because avoiding UK sites with customs charges coming in on Jan 1st. But I'll have a look further afield.

I'd just get the ARGB controller and put it in a spot in the case that's easy to access.

Advertisement