Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Marathon, sher we'll see how we go

Options
  • 26-12-2020 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Heya!

So, after some consideration over the last few months, and after running a first half marathon in October https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114210488. I have decided to go ahead and train towards a first marathon :)

As with the half marathon I am going to use a Hal Higdon Novice 18 week plan, starting on the 28/12, with a view to running a marathon, the first weekend in May. If this is an official event, that would be great( like Belfast or Limerick), but if there are no events, I will try and run it solo.

My half marathon time was just under 2 hours, so I am hoping to run the marathon in under 4 hours.

So a race pace of around 8.45-9/mi, and a training pace of around 9.45-10.30/mi. Over the last few months I have ben running 5 miles twice a week, at an average speed of around 8.20/mi.

I am back working up in Dubin. I am 26 years old, with no running background, just some hurling and gym training.

For cross training, I will do some core work and yoga, along with walking the dogs (I have a dobermann and two older collies). I am yet to join a new gym.

I may need to get new runners at some stage as I am still using a pair of New Balance Fresh Foams W880Ks. I also have a Fitbit ionic for tracking.

Any feedback is massively appreciated, I gained a huge amount from it during the half marathon training log :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

jwof2006 wrote: »
    Heya!

So, after some consideration over the last few months, and after running a first half marathon in October https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114210488. I have decided to go ahead and train towards a first marathon :)

As with the half marathon I am going to use a Hal Higdon Novice 18 week plan, starting on the 28/12, with a view to running a marathon, the first weekend in May. If this is an official event, that would be great( like Belfast or Limerick), but if there are no events, I will try and run it solo.

My half marathon time was just under 2 hours, so I am hoping to run the marathon in under 4 hours.

So a race pace of around 8.45-9/mi, and a training pace of around 9.45-10.30/mi. Over the last few months I have ben running 5 miles twice a week, at an average speed of around 8.20/mi.

I am back working up in Dubin. I am 26 years old, with no running background, just some hurling and gym training.

For cross training, I will do some core work and yoga, along with walking the Dogs (I have a Dobermann and two older collies). I am yet to join a new gym.

I may need to get new runners at some stage as I am still using a pair of New Balance Fresh Foams W880Ks. I also have a Fitbit ionic for tracking.

Any feedback is massively appreciated, I gained a huge amount from it during the half marathon training log :)

Firstly, well done on your half.

Before even tackling marathon training, my advice would be get yourself some base training. Build your fitness before committing to any marathon block.
    We don't know when races will be back. Taking the time out now to build to running easy 4 or 5 times a week will make the marathon process far easier and more enjoyable when it does arrive.
    With your active background and age, you could progress very quick once your legs are used to running more frequently.

You don't want your first marathon to be a virtual one. There is no comparison when it comes to support and the general experience IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

Thanks Lambay Island, that is great advice. I am concious that taking on too much in a short space of time could be detrimental, and a bit of a chore. Since making the first post I have also developed a mild tendonitis of the right Achilles :o Typical! :rolleyes:

I guess I do find it hard to motivate myself to go running without a goal in mind, and that is why I was thinking of working towards something in the early Summer. I am also in a position currently from a work point of view (locuming), where I have more time on my hands to work towards something like this. I will likely be back in a more permanent role from next Autumn.

Another motivating factor is that I am heading to Malawi for a few months in late May on a volunteer mission (Covid permitting), and I thought the marathon could be useful as a fundraiser for the aid organisation.

However, I definitely see what you are saying. Bearing it in mind, I may after building up over the first few weeks, try and build slower and make steadier progress through the Summer instead of increasing towards the marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

jwof2006 wrote: »
    Thanks Lambay Island, that is great advice. I am concious that taking on too much in a short space of time could be detrimental, and a bit of a chore. Since making the first post I have also developed a mild tendonitis of the right Achilles :o Typical! :rolleyes:

I guess I do find it hard to motivate myself to go running without a goal in mind, and that is why I was thinking of working towards something in the early Summer. I am also in a position currently from a work point of view (locuming), where I have more time on my hands to work towards something like this. I will likely be back in a more permanent role from next Autumn.

Another motivating factor is that I am heading to Malawi for a few months in late May on a volunteer mission (Covid permitting), and I thought the marathon could be useful as a fundraiser for the aid organisation.

However, I definitely see what you are saying. Bearing it in mind, I may after building up over the first few weeks, try and build slower and make steadier progress through the Summer instead of increasing towards the marathon training.

I know a goal race is one very defined approach to goal setting. But an alternative is to set a process oriented goal which is more functional for base building.

E.g. for the first 100 days of 2021, you could aim to average 5km a day running. This would translate in reality to 4 or 5 days running a week with a few rest days and slightly longer runs to bring up the average etc. The numbers here a are a little arbitrary to demonstrate but the point is that you do have a goal week to week but without the "pressure" of a training plan. As Lambay says, you will enjoy a marathon cycle more with a stronger base.

Advertisement