Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow showers, 27th/28th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭sundodger5

FLASH,BANG....lights out. Thought it hit the house.
    Mayo. Outside Castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

are these thunderstorms going to reach the southeast? should I unplug my PC?

Mostly clear skies here currently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

amen wrote: »
    Lovely thunder lightning here in athenry. Near instantaneous thunder after the lightning. Rain hail sleet everything but snow ��

Hello neighbour, great show for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lookin at the ESB map we are very very lucky to still have power !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

lolie wrote: »
    Moderate sleety hail falling here now in South cavan. Temp gone from 1 earlier to 2 now.

My sister in Nobber meath just sent me this a few minutes ago.
    537330.jpg

Another one she sent me, taken about 9.30, shows how localised it was.
    537342.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Snow is melting fairly quick here now, i'd say there'll be nothing left in the morning except puddles of water

km79 wrote: »
    Lookin at the ESB map we are very very lucky to still have power !

That double strike was very close, a few neighbours lost power and had flickering lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

bassy wrote: »
    i suppose nothing for north kilkenny either by the sounds of that.
    Sleet out there now - probably snow above 150m asl.

Heavy sleet and gusting winds. Horrible out there. (S. Laois)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Telecom poles damaged outside Kilmacrennan, Donegal tonight from the lightning earlier. Photos send to me via my page.

• Advertisement

Telecom poles damaged outside Kilmacrennan, Donegal tonight from the lightning earlier. Photos send to me via my page.

Unreal! No dial-up internet there for a while! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Them pictures are unreal just goes to show the pure raw power of nature we are always just like match sticks at the mercy of extreme weather!!
    (Just to add on tonight’s topic here on the Meath Westmeath border we got nothing only very heavy rain/sleet from 9.30 till now it’s still lashing it down outside.These northerly snow events coming from either greenland or Iceland are always very hit or miss the Atlantic usually always makes a slushy mess of the white gold!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

heavy rain in kilkenny,ive lived here 6 years now and it must be one of the worst places for snow,ive seen nearly no snow since here

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

Benevenagh tonight roughly 350m ASL.

Absolutely hammered it down with snow, a good 2/3 inches, proper sticky snow too.

zyTye9s.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Could you imagine if you had been out hiking on that road when the storm hit it looks likes the poles are the tallest things in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Getting lightning alerts on my phone the past few mins. Can see some activity about 4 miles away.
    South Tipp, Aherlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Drove up the m1 northbound there near dunleer exit. Sudden onset of a heavy snow shower for about 5km. Traffic slowed to 30km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Absolutely hammered it down with snow, a good 2/3 inches, proper sticky snow too.

zyTye9s.jpeg
    Class picture!Out with the drone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

Wow, how many were damaged there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

tikkamark wrote: »
    Class picture!Out with the drone!

I climbed a tree :p

Missed the bigger ones after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭kegg

Power gone in foxford in mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

One of the main things people miss is working lights on a car when this happens as tomorrow is too late when putting things off till another time.Great headlights on that car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

zyTye9s.jpeg

Binevenagh (385m) is my local hill. My sister got stuck just south of there earlier tonight. It had no snow on it this morning.

Anyway, if you really want to see deep snow go to Mullagheany. Last March I went hiking up there and there was still about a foot of frozen solid snow weeks after it melted low down.

We rose to 5.6c and are on our way back down now, could’ve been a proper event had we not had that warm sector. The Met Office mentions wintry showers tomorrow afternoon, we will see.

But would love to go hiking tomorrow, hopefully the snow is still there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

This might be the one I would think, powerful ,great pictures and video and follow up shots of the pole damage.

cx8SnRP.png

Fd5iXca.png

Sorry you feel that way, but there is no way that your house can be located from giving a general location (which you've finally done now). Nobody is asking for a post code, just whether you're reporting from the north or south, etc. The same way you were demanding that people quote their altitude in reports. It works both ways.

Anyway, water under the bridge now. That event you witness was most likely caused by you driving into a cold downdraft, which can measure only a few hundred metres or less across. It's fairly common in showers and in severe cases can lead to strong straightline winds.

That’s an interesting weather phenomena. The weather wunderground stations nearby (about 3 miles away) remained at 3c and did not fall any further. The hill is just behind my house so I wondered if the cold air had been blown down off the peak (as daft as that sounds) to produce a localised cold pool.

I did not know that was possible. Well I suppose that was a mini katabatic wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I saw snow in Dublin 5 this evening and I am nowhere near high ground. Admittedly only a short shower but it still snowed
    Rougies wrote: »
    There's no snow in Dublin (except higher ground). Calling it "sleety rain" is even pushing it, more like cold rain with the odd whiteish mushy globule of disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To those reporting thunder and lightening, how in meteorology terms is that possible with snow/sleet?

To thine own self be true

Advertisement