Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Started new job - not what it seems

Options
  • 26-12-2020 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone, new to the forum! So I started a new job recently and it is not what was promised to me. Basically I have hardly any work to do, the environment is toxic and was misled as to what the job was. I was told there was a lot of work and other things too. Has anyone experience on what to say to a potential new employer as to why you are leaving a job so soon? For reasons I cant go into there is not an option to stay in the role.

This has never happened to me before so I have no experience on how to deal with it.

One part is to tell a potential new employer that there is not enough work for me which is the truth?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

Ask for more work

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You don't have to give anyone any reasons -just leave.

Do you have something better lined up?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It could be time of year related where systems/teams are shutting down for Christmas period and will then fully get back to normal in the new year, could that be the reason?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How long are you in the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JoMalone2020

Dunfyy wrote: »
    Ask for more work
    Wow I hadnt thought of that!!!....not

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    How long are you in the job?
    Just a month. The day I first arrived people where very "I shouldnt say this to you but...." and proceeded to moan about their superiors...red flag. Within weeks it became clear that the job was not what I was led to believe it was. I asked for more work which was not forthcoming. Before I joined, I was told told I had loads of work (office work) as I was concious of leaving the previous role where I was busy and happy especially in a pandemic but was assured this would not be an issue. I moved for career progression.

Other issues arose which I cant go into unfortunatley and the place is quite toxic. I am in a position now where I feel I have no choice but to leave and now dont know what to write when applying for a new role with someone.

You don't have to give anyone any reasons -just leave.

Do you have something better lined up?
    Nothing unfortunately at the moment, this all happened very recently. :-(

It could be time of year related where systems/teams are shutting down for Christmas period and will then fully get back to normal in the new year, could that be the reason?
    I thought that myself and that might be one part of it however, I was told coming into the job there was plenty of work and that they were overflowing with work. Not the case. I am curious as to why they would bring me on knowing that this was likely to happen. Also other issues in the background I cant speak obout because it would give the place away. Its toxic and on day 1 people talking bad about one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Well you could always just say to the next employer there was no work and you were sitting around which you didn't find challenging. Maybe also that you were given a job spec that didn't in any way line up to your actual duties. Don't know if it would be a negative to say you felt you were fed a big speil about the role just to get you in the door.

I don't know who most places Ive been in you'll always have at least a few that don't get on and bitch about one another, unless it's a case of you feel they are starting on you too that would be different

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I think it's ok to say the job isn't what you thought it would be and you are looking for something more suited to your talents (of which you will be listing many exampled talents).

Context is key. If your CV is littered with false starts and short term contracts then it's not good sign, but one bad gig now and again, don't worry.

I assume you have a glowing reference from the previous place anyway?

As to what to say to the current place? Standard email giving whatever standard notice is required.

• Advertisement

Well you could always just say to the next employer there was no work and you were sitting around which you didn't find challenging. Maybe also that you were given a job spec that didn't in any way line up to your actual duties. Don't know if it would be a negative to say you felt you were fed a big speil about the role just to get you in the door.

I don't know who most places Ive been in you'll always have at least a few that don't get on and bitch about one another, unless it's a case of you feel they are starting on you too that would be different
    Thanks for your message, which was helpful! :-) I think you are right and have to outline that the role wasnt what it seemed and that I had no work. I am just conscious of sounding troublesome. I cannot believe i am in this mess.

I know theres "always one" in any employment that like to moan which is usual. However, this was within the first hour of getting in the door they were outlining the issues with the place. I thought, I just need to give myself some time to adjust to a new place but spend most days searching for work to do and only busy for about 2-3 hours in a day which I hate. I like to be kept busy. I spend alot of my time with doing work that has nothing to do with my actual job.

km991148 wrote: »
    I think it's ok to say the job isn't what you thought it would be and you are looking for something more suited to your talents (of which you will be listing many exampled talents).

Context is key. If your CV is littered with false starts and short term contracts then it's not good sign, but one bad gig now and again, don't worry.

I assume you have a glowing reference from the previous place anyway?

As to what to say to the current place? Standard email giving whatever standard notice is required.
    Hi there, yes I really like my last job and got on well with people there but there was no career progression at all unfortunatley and when this new role came up it was the "dream job" or so I thought. I have a few moves over the years and was in my last role for a good stint. I have never in my life left a job after a month as nothing was ever that bad.

I am just aware an employer will think I am troublesome or that I dont work well with others as I left so soon? I suppose you're right in its all how I sell it. I plan on putting the reasons that I can on a cover letteR?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Hi there, yes I really like my last job and got on well with people there but there was no career progression at all unfortunatley and when this new role came up it was the "dream job" or so I thought. I have a few moves over the years and was in my last role for a good stint. I have never in my life left a job after a month as nothing was ever that bad.

I am just aware an employer will think I am troublesome or that I dont work well with others as I left so soon? I suppose you're right in its all how I sell it. I plan on putting the reasons that I can on a cover letteR?

I think you don't elaborate too much on a cover. Just the positives, IE you are driven and want opportunity to do X or Y or whatever skills or career moves you want to do.
    Don't go into why you are leaving. You are just someone looking for a better position, same as everyone. When you get asked in interview there will be time to expand (but again, even if it's the worst place on earth, don't beat too badly- damning with faint praise or that it didn't offer what was offered). Just concentrate on the usual- sell your self and what you bring and don't worry too much about it - especially if it's once off!

Good luck!

km991148 wrote: »
    I think you don't elaborate too much on a cover. Just the positives, IE you are driven and want opportunity to do X or Y or whatever skills or career moves you want to do.
    Don't go into why you are leaving. You are just someone looking for a better position, same as everyone. When you get asked in interview there will be time to expand (but again, even if it's the worst place on earth, don't beat too badly- damning with faint praise or that it didn't offer what was offered). Just concentrate on the usual- sell your self and what you bring and don't worry too much about it - especially if it's once off!

Good luck!
    Thanks so much. This has been so helpful. I have been able to write a few lines on my cover letter this evening and has given me some pointers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'd give it 6 months myself. They could well be overworked but until they are fully comfortable that you are upto speed they aren't going to give you an amount of work they think you can't cope with.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

just take the pay and see what happens in a month or two.
    dont get\fall into drama queens territory - let them get on with it
    and stay neutral. be prepared for someone pointing finger at you
    as when one target dont bite you may be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

If you’re only there a month, I’d be inclined to leave out your current job. Just tell them that you worked in your old job till end of November and decided to take a month off with for some down time before job hunting..... apart from that you could tell them it was just a contract role month to month and its ending now and you took it to just tide you over to the new year. Just make sure you have a referee from a former job, asking for a referee from your current employer would be pretty unusual.
    your standard rate cut off and tax credit will reset at the end of December anyways and you can call revenue and tell them you don’t want your new employer to have your previous pay details.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,467 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Could the downtime be to do with the time of the year, coupled with covid ? I’d maybe be tempted to give it slightly longer but that’s only from the outside looking in.

Have you tapped your colleagues for info, like “ god, very quiet, is it always like this ? “

In a job I had, that for the rest of the year was manic...end of December,January and February were dead, you have if you were lucky 4-5 hours work out of a 9 hour shift. Staggered so it wasn’t too bad. From about 12.15-15.00 we were basically on a 2 hour 45 minute lunch break... nothing to do... only so much tidying of the office, only so many paperwork audits that you can do.... the cleaners were giving out that we were doing their work too and we should ‘ cut it out ‘...

I brought in my iPad and headphones, looked at an episode or two of a series, or played a game..easy as I was sat the far end of the office so if a big boss wandered down I just folded it away and removed the phones...

Better to entertain yourself then be sat there, going out of your mind, checking sky news for the 1376th time...

Give me a steady flow of work over that..

Advertisement