Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir internet not working

• 26-12-2020 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

Have Eir broadband in an urban area of south dublin.

Experiencing great difficulties with the quality of the internet connection at the moment, speed is very slow and the connection drops completely for 2-3 minutes once or twice an hour so very difficult to use when working from home.

Have considered changing provider however we believe that the issue may be the old copper cables from the house to the road (approx 75m), as far as I am aware there Is high speed internet available to those on the .

Presumebely if the cables are the issue changing provider won’t help.. is there any way of getting new cables, do eir have an obligation to update their infrastructure?

Again virgin media is available on the main road but when I input by eir code into their checker it comes up as unavailable... is there any point in contacting them to see if they will bring a connection to the house..

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

It maybe your router
    Turn off laptop. Plug directly into modem turn on laptop then do speed test

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

Dunfyy wrote: »
    It maybe your router
    Turn off laptop. Plug directly into modem turn on laptop then do speed test

Thanks, don’t think it is. Problem has been ongoing for two or three years now. Eir have sent out new routers in the past, and they have helped a bit at first but slowly over time the problem has gotten worse and worse.

Also there is lots of interference on the line while making calls with the landline these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Smurts

Thanks, don’t think it is. Problem has been ongoing for two or three years now. Eir have sent out new routers in the past, and they have helped a bit at first but slowly over time the problem has gotten worse and worse.

Also there is lots of interference on the line while making calls with the landline these days.

Having the exact same problems - have had a number of visits over the years with no resolution, other than it being ‘resolved’ when it will work again for a while but then revert back to being intermittent.

It seems to be reached new lows over the last few days though, at times fine and other times unusable. Frustrating for so called fibre broadband. I’m also in a south Dublin suburb!

• Don’t mind about the cables coming from the cabinet, if those were faulty or damaged they’d have found out and fixed it by now, even if you don’t see it they’re checking and maintaining those anywhere from; fairly often to several times a week.

I’d say if the internet keeps dropping, the speed may actually be set too high, especially if the modem being used is cheap (which Eir’s are).

You could try switching provider, since eir are infamously awful, if the problem happens to follow, Vodafone or someone may offer better customer service (and therefore fix the issue properly if it continued!)

As for virgin - no, if they say on their site no luck then it’s no luck. Calling them won’t rectify that. The website isn’t checking for previously connection or anything it checks whether they can provide the service one way or another.

Smurts wrote: »
    Having the exact same problems - have had a number of visits over the years with no resolution, other than it being ‘resolved’ when it will work again for a while but then revert back to being intermittent.

It seems to be reached new lows over the last few days though, at times fine and other times unusable. Frustrating for so called fibre broadband. I’m also in a south Dublin suburb!

Very interesting to hear I am not the only one! Have you considered changing provider? I’m thinking even if the connection doesn’t improve it would be nice to be dealing with a company that answers its phones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭wildwillow

It's up to you to get a duct from the house to the pole, at least in the country.
    My two neighbours and I have brought duct and pull wires to the nearest poles at our own expense and Eir did the connection.
    Despite all you read about Eir their groundwork crews are excellent.

I think max distance is about 350 meters and it must not be joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Smurts

Very interesting to hear I am not the only one! Have you considered changing provider? I’m thinking even if the connection doesn’t improve it would be nice to be dealing with a company that answers its phones!

Yea they are a nightmare to deal with. I have been reluctant to change as Vodafone and sky use the same line as I understand so wasn’t sure if it was a line issue, in which case id have the same problem, or an eir issue, but being at home the last couple of days I have really noticed the issues with the speeds even rendering Now TV useless at times! Not even getting 1mb sometimes! So will be making calls from Monday to see what other options I have

Smurts wrote: »
    Yea they are a nightmare to deal with. I have been reluctant to change as Vodafone and sky use the same line as I understand so wasn’t sure if it was a line issue, in which case id have the same problem, or an eir issue, but being at home the last couple of days I have really noticed the issues with the speeds even rendering Now TV useless at times! Not even getting 1mb sometimes! So will be making calls from Monday to see what other options I have

Same I think

Will look into the possibility of laying our own cables, have planning for a new house between the road and the existing dwelling anyway so will need to get that connected also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

There is clearly a fault on the line somewhere if there is interference while making calls - you need to log a fault with Eir to state that

Advertisement