Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-build gaming PC - budget ~ EUR1000

Options
  • 26-12-2020 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi All

Looking to purchase and build a gaming PC for a 13 year old (current xbox user).

Seeking help with spec and where to buy from post-brexit.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
    Stan

1. What is your budget? [€1000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming]
    (If gaming include which games) [League of Legends, Overwatch, Minecraft, Among Us, Rocket League]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes - hoping to get cheap student edition]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [27"]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Wireless Card, we already have USB keyboard and mouse]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Maybe]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [In next month or so]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [hoping to self-build without assistance, but South Dubln if we run into probs :)]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's very difficult to price a build at the moment, stock levels are non existent and what is out there is over priced. Just some general tips:

Ryzen 5 3600 is the minimum in terms of processor I'd target - you might get by with a quadcore 3100 or 3300X (Unicorn edition) but if you play any more demanding games in the future you may see some stutter.

Windows 10 is free to download and install - you just get a 'watermark' on the bottom right of the screen telling you to activate. Either get a student key or a grey market key off Adverts for €5-7.

27" Monitor on your budget might be pushing it. I assume for e-sports you'd want a high refresh monitor? 27" monitors also tend to be 1440p meaning you have to spend more on the GPU, but there are 27" 1080p monitors.

GPU advice is a bit difficult at the moment everything is mental or on the verge of being replaced. Probably target the 1660ti or 1660 Super given the budget but it may struggle to drive a 1440p monitor in more demanding games.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Yes there is a major shortage of parts in stock right now. This is the best I can do with what is in stock or soon to be in stock on Amazon.
    If you were to wait another 2 months you could probably get some parts that are better value for money.

d17aa17fd2015fb6746caaad428fe9f8.png

184f0ef992edcbe2ebecb23948fab1a6.png

ee49cab877ec68082cd849574d4de712.png

Total cost £962.12
    Prices are currently inflated so this is the best I can do while staying close to the budget
    It will easily play all the games you listed and newer ones released in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Nice one Harmless!

Maybe swap the RAM to this if you don't mind it being Red and non RGB?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-Ballistix-BL2K8G32C16U4B-Desktop-Gaming/dp/B083TSFB5C/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ballistix&qid=1609087877&sr=8-2&th=1

Would suggest a monitor more akin to the one below but budget dictates. Amazon have a couple used available for not much more than the Acer unit above.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VG279Q-Monitor-FreeSync-Certified/dp/B07KP34NMJ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=13ENYQQ9ROCI8&dchild=1&keywords=27+inch+monitor+144hz&qid=1609088035&sprefix=27%22+%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 45 stannman

Thanks both for your quick replies - much appreciated!

I consulted with my 13 year old and he's decided to wait a couple of months until supply and value improves.

Do you know are deliveries from Amazon.uk subject to customs charges now after Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

stannman wrote: »
    Thanks both for your quick replies - much appreciated!

I consulted with my 13 year old and he's decided to wait a couple of months until supply and value improves.

Do you know are deliveries from Amazon.uk subject to customs charges now after Brexit?

I'm not aware of such a massive widespread shortage on PC parts before, it really is the worst time to order.

With the free trade agreement there will be no tariffs on goods arriving from the UK.
    The EU does not charge tariffs on computer parts anyway.

You will see no change with companies like Amazon who are registered for VAT in Ireland.

For companies not registered for VAT here you will have to contact them and see if you can be invoiced VAT free, you can then pay VAT at the Irish rate when it arrives in the country.

I advise you take your time at checkout and make sure you are not being charged UK VAT because even if you pay it you will still be charged VAT in Ireland.
    The easiest way to tell is to check the VAT rate: 21%(Ireland) or 20%(UK)

• Advertisement
Advertisement