Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game dealers

Options
  • 26-12-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering why there isnt a list of game dealers on here for those that have suplus or ectra that they wish to get rid of. Only reaso i ask is one farmer wushes me to thin out more animals than usual this year that i dont have room to keep an id rather give it to somwhere it would get used rather than wasting it. Does anyone have a list of dealers in ireland and northern ireland. Anyonr know of any??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never really asked for before, but no time like the present.

Anyone with a nmae, contact details, location, etc of any game dealer post it here with a link to their site and as soon as we get enough i'll create a permanent thread/post and stick it to the top of the forum
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

Ok guess most lads are not inyerested in this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

What checks do Game Dealers make to ensure they're not buying poached meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Pkiernan wrote: »
    What checks do Game Dealers make to ensure they're not buying poached meat?

Other then the individual having to be FSAI registered, licenced for deer stalking and providing such details in writing, the source of the venison is taken on good faith.
    Those taken out of season must have the relevant Section 42 paper work before the animals are taken in.

Ynot even venison id be interested in giving one or 2 animals a year and maybe some rabbits . Better than wasting them im sure a lot of guys are in the same boat

• Advertisement

ferrete wrote: »
    Ynot even venison id be interested in giving one or 2 animals a year and maybe some rabbits . Better than wasting them im sure a lot of guys are in the same boat

If it's only a few animal's you are talking about then you're better off utilizing them yourself or pass them on to others. Butchered right most animals will fit into a 2 foot x 2 foot box or a larger animal like a red a large egg box. I would be concentrating on filling my freezers for the off season.

The dealers aren't really interested in small volumes of game, so here alot of rabbits sourced for the catering trade comes from abroad and are actually farmed. Unlike the UK were there is a market for wild rabbits. The same goes for feathered game, most will come from the Estates with organised shoots rather than individuals. Pigeons are taken in but again you'll need to be sourcing good bag numbers to make it break even let alone profitable.

Remember if you are not registered then you can not shift on any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

Ballymoney foods. Drop off points in Wicklow, Kildare, and Waterford. Very easy to deal with, 2 or 3 animals a year is all I,d drop off to them. Never dealt with any one else so can't really compare.
    https://www.ballymooneyfoods.com/activities

Give them a ring first, last time I heard they weren't taking in deer due to a poor market under current conditions. I haven't dealt with them this year with the license debacle, travel restrictions... yeah de yeah! Last time I talked to them was late August to check up on any changes to thier drop off policy. Pre Christmas is when I heard through the rumour mill that they weren't taking in anymore, that may be just the Christmas routine or Covid related there are others here that may have more recent up dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Other then the individual having to be FSAI registered, licenced for deer stalking and providing such details in writing, the source of the venison is taken on good faith.
    Those taken out of season must have the relevant Section 42 paper work before the animals are taken in.

IOW we have well qualified and trained legal poachers here in Ireland.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    IOW we have well qualified and trained legal poachers here in Ireland.

And that's a fact.....

• Advertisement

I didnt open this to start a debate on poaching but im sure there are some lads here who on occassion have to take more than the need to keep landowners happy etc should it be 1 or 2 deer a year or some rabbits or pigeons etc. If guys have these surplus to their requirements what is wrong with revouping some of the costs involved in getting them lets face it, it would still be making a loss realistically but at least they might get a few euro back whick might just cpver some of the fuel or ammo costs. Im not talking of trying to supply a factory with them. Also im sure anyone that has those intentions already has the contacts and is doing it in vast numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I didnt open this to start a debate on poaching but im sure there are some lads here who on occassion have to take more than the need to keep landowners happy etc should it be 1 or 2 deer a year or some rabbits or pigeons etc. If guys have these surplus to their requirements what is wrong with revouping some of the costs involved in getting them lets face it, it would still be making a loss realistically but at least they might get a few euro back whick might just cpver some of the fuel or ammo costs. Im not talking of trying to supply a factory with them. Also im sure anyone that has those intentions already has the contacts and is doing it in vast numbers

People here have their opinions on game dealers, a lot not very complementary but its everyone's choice to use them or not, personally I never did when I shot deer.
    Now I am of no use to you with regard dealers.
    My view on it at the time was that I had a very valuable product, not in monetary value from dealers but in good will. If a farmer wanted more animals shot than I needed, I looked after my freezer first, my families freezers then the farmers. Any surplus was given to neighbouring farmers where I knew there to be deer but the farmer was not having problems with them. If the time came and it usually did you can be sure I was the one rang.
    So by all means sell them off if you want and make a few pound no harm in it, sorry I am of no use to on that one.
    But maybe have a think about if they are worth more to you in other ways.

solarwinds wrote: »
    People here have their opinions on game dealers, a lot not very complementary but its everyone's choice to use them or not, personally I never did when I shot deer.
    Now I am of no use to you with regard dealers.
    My view on it at the time was that I had a very valuable product, not in monetary value from dealers but in good will. If a farmer wanted more animals shot than I needed, I looked after my freezer first, my families freezers then the farmers. Any surplus was given to neighbouring farmers where I knew there to be deer but the farmer was not having problems with them. If the time came and it usually did you can be sure I was the one rang.
    So by all means sell them off if you want and make a few pound no harm in it, sorry I am of no use to on that one.
    But maybe have a think about if they are worth more to you in other ways.

that is what i currently do however i have reached the mark that i do not need any more meat but the famer is still looking for another 2 or 3 shot and i have givento everyone and everyne is stocked up i was going to sell the 2 r 3 now so that i do not have to butcher it and try to get rid of it and also that i would maybe recoupe a few euros to offset against my fuel costs asi do drive big distances with the stalking. thats why i was looking for a game dealer around donegal

that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It leads to people shooting more deer than they otherwise would.

Monetising wild animals is invariably bad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

that is what i currently do however i have reached the mark that i do not need any more meat but the famer is still looking for another 2 or 3 shot and i have givento everyone and everyne is stocked up i was going to sell the 2 r 3 now so that i do not have to butcher it and try to get rid of it and also that i would maybe recoupe a few euros to offset against my fuel costs asi do drive big distances with the stalking. thats why i was looking for a game dealer around donegal
    Why not make a smarter PR manoeuvre out of this and get us all some good PR? If you only have two or 3 animals to butcher out. Why not donate the meat to some charity or to some frontline staff in a hospital, local fire dept,search&rescue, etc?
    Folks will remember that one and you can win some hearts and minds in your area about hunters and hunting.

Enriching game dealers, who pay you a pittance for the value of the valuable cuts of the backstraps and tenderloins,and all the rest is just extra sugar to them is the last thing anyone should be considering.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Ok guess most lads are not inyerested in this

Problem is if more game dealers start taking animals off us like deer pheasant or rabbits whatever it'll only encourage lads to get into poaching more to sell to game dealers. Alot of game dealers don't care where the meat comes from legal or not mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

Deer don't turn up for me in any predictable manner. Empty freezers all round, then boom. Then I can run into problems, fridge capacity. Ring a friend to see if he has space to help, if not then game dealers. Next problem is my ability to process, small young animals, no problems. Big old gamey stag, burgers only, I have to pay someone to do that. If I m rolling in burgers, then game dealers. Just like the op, this only happens once or twice a year. If I thought that I could ring anyone, charity or otherwise and say, I've a deer hanging in the fur in the garage for you, come collect it a chop it up yourself.... I'd be the first to do so.
    Always said to the missus that if I won the lottery, I'd build a butchery where any one could drop off deer for charity. Where it could be processed and packaged to the standard required. Just need to win the lottery.
    Until then I will endeavour to distribute nature's bounty to everyone possible. When that's not possible, game dealers, otherwise it's wasted meat and I think we all agree that's a big no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Pkiernan wrote: »
    It leads to people shooting more deer than they otherwise would.

Monetising wild animals is invariably bad for them.

Thered also be no guarantee that the shooter ever checked for tuberculosis on the deer either. Dont know if it shows on the meat but lungs show it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was reading in the papers over the last couple of weeks how the price at game dealers has dropped rather significantly due to the chinese virus and the huge drop in demand for game meats by restaurants and vendors.

Couple that with lads and the inability of some to get to their grounds i would have thought the supply would be dropping too which usually means a rise in price but the perfect storm created by the current climate means demand has dropped quicker than supply
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    .... usually means a rise in price but the perfect storm created by the current climate means demand has dropped quicker than supply

Only when there is a demand for it. You don't commonly see venison for sale in the high street, the majority of it goes to the hospitality industry. So no buisness no market. A restaurant is in death until it sells its stock so after a very confusing time many premises are reluctant to purchase stock.

Even the UK market were a large percentage of wild venison goes into the commercial food chain (quite an acceptable practice over there) is in sh1t. Professional stalking outfitters have been offering carcasses for free to the clients as part of the stalking cost were previously they were charged at the going game dealers price. Professional deer managers are stuffed as they can't meet their quotas as there is no market to pass the animals onto. This would be seen as a big issue in those in the UK that have to keep numbers down.

It's a vicious or unfortunate cycle because as the lock down crisis continues there are less and less clients, which is driving the stalking prices down. If you could travel to the UK at the present moment it is the ideal time to book stalking for that Muntjac or Chinese Water Deer, even a good trophy Fallow or highland stalking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement